Bit of a Blog : Rhapsody : B2B : Singapore - Dubai - Istanbul : May 3rd 2015

DSCN3925.jpg

We walk to Mani Bhavan, Ghanidji's residence in Bombay 1917 - 1934. He launched Satyagraha (insistence on truth) from here in 1919; with a view to defying the Indian Press Act Ghandhiji began issuing an unregistered weekly bulletin called Satyagrahi.

DSCN3932.jpg

DSCN3927.jpg

DSCN3928.jpg

Already aching my heart is totally smitten by this image

DSCN3929.jpg

DSCN3930.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN3945.jpg

DSCN3946.jpg

Gandhi was assassinated on January 30th, 1948, on his way to address a prayer meeting

DSCN3947.jpg

DSCN3948.jpg

The visit to this museum really had a profound affect on my emotions; if you come to Mumbai do pay a visit : 19 Laburnum Road, Gamdevi, Mumbai.

Currently sat in a lecture about the history / build of the Suez Canal

On the train in Mumbai contd :

DSCN3991.jpg

DSCN3992.jpg

DSCN3993.jpg

We have travelled 2 stops; fortunately this was not the rush hour. The sign is based on that of the London Underground.

DSCN3994.jpg

A much larger dhobi ghat (laundry) than the one we visited in Cochin

DSCN3995.jpg

DSCN3996.jpg

DSCN3998.jpg

As I recall the workers are mostly migrants from elsewhere in India. They live in the shacks above where they work.

DSCN4000.jpg

We are now in out final mode of transport.... an air conditioned van.... much relief.... we make a quick stop at a small Starbucks....

DSCN4001.jpg

Victoria Station, otherwise known as the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. We don't actually get to go into this fine example of Gothic architecture.

DSCN4002.jpg

DSCN4003.jpg

DSCN4007.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

DSCN4008.jpg

DSCN4009.jpg

DSCN4010.jpg

Municipal building nearby

DSCN4005.jpg

DSCN4006.jpg

We go to get our currency changed. This is the only tour where we've had to pay in Rupees. Currency may only be obtained from an authorised currency exchange.... this is in a tiny mall.... a musical instrument shop

DSCN4011.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Sailaway from Mumbai.... looking at the failed sunset pics... they remind me how humid it was as the camera lens immediately fogged up when I popped out from the MDR to grab a shot

DSCN4012.jpg

DSCN4013.jpg

DSCN4014.jpg

Was a truly memorable, extraordinary and unique day

------

The room steward's cart has cards with affirmations on

DSCN4022.jpg

Roll call slot pull....we were given use of the tournament machines..... only 2 others turned up for this cruise's game.

DSCN4028.jpg

Non GF petits fours

DSCN4029.jpg

Whilst they were unable to sell Rupees RCL will now buy them.....

DSCN4034.jpg

Happy birthday Ron, kicking off those Dubai pics for you..... if you all recall I had a fraught couple of days so my pics don't really do it justice nor does my acquired knowledge. I can confirm that it was hot, very very hot but a much drier heat than India so for me more bearable. Book to go up the Burj Khalifa at sunset..... pics I've seen of others doing that look amazing..... also the fountain show at the Dubai Mall is meant to be spectacular and also missed by me.

The sail in was wonderful

DSCN4035.jpg

DSCN4036.jpg

DSCN4037.jpg

DSCN4038.jpg

DSCN4039.jpg

DSCN4060.jpg

DSCN4061.jpg

The heat that hits you as you step outside is almost stifling. Hoho buses and free Mall shuttles to the right..... they don't go to either of the extremely large malls. If there's a shop you specifically want to find I suggest you ask Google first. The Hard Rock Cafe, For example, is only at the Festival Mall which is across a toll bridge.

DSCN4062.jpg

There are plenty of cabs to be had. They are not cheap. Depending on the time of day a 20 minute ride to the Dubai Mall, for example, can be in the region of 25 - 30 Dirhams.

DSCN4063.jpg

DSCN4064.jpg

I am now reunited with my friend. We've not seen each other for 13 years. Much to catch up on. Pics from a very comfortable a/c car

DSCN4065.jpg