Bit of a Blog : Rhapsody : B2B : Singapore - Dubai - Istanbul : May 3rd 2015

What an absolutely super day. If you ever get to tour with Valerie and Ian (I'm from Oz) jump right in.... she picked a great guide. The info above really did not do them justice. We had the son of the owner drive / guide us, Dimitris; what a fund of knowledge and enthusiasm he was.

Highly recommend the company : https://www.pktravelgreece.com/

We had a few photo stops on the way down to Sounio including one at the spa at Vouliagmeni Lake, above sea level it maintains a salt water consistency; extremely deep, it has claimed the lives of divers who have descended to explore the myriad of underwater caves (our guide intimated that a son of Jacques Cousteau drowned there but I can't verify)

Poseidon's Temple

11393099_10155633921390352_356129781637814152_n.jpg?oh=a793a626d8eaa63260f6215d5feb7c3a&oe=55C32B57

This was in my room on my return

11391670_10155633927115352_1570977367611989607_n.jpg?oh=6f96ecfa1b681706c8eff9c5c2d36ab4&oe=55F88E77

The subject of the night transit is still occupying discussion on board and my opinion sought. I still hold fast to the theory that the Egyptian Suez Canal Authority gave our Capt no alternative but to transit when we did. Until I hear otherwise that's the opinion I'm giving out.

Woke up.

Turned on TV to see time / daylight status.

Got up.

Dressed. (Thank goodness for thick London sweater. Have now worn pretty much everything I brought with).

Pics from mobile phone, via Facebook.

Apologies for the size..... loads more on camera. Any fixes I have don't seem to work

10983371_10155640459155352_7243439586617062791_o.jpg

11336951_10155640336375352_7261734893501743134_o.jpg

11357396_10155640338835352_8464190269171251737_o.jpg

11059454_10155640460645352_4769157451848573095_o.jpg

11350481_10155640414800352_6052026082419349096_n.jpg?oh=df0de0bf8fcad67ad075b8d2f5adae4a&oe=5606077B

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We are in the Dardanelles.

The Battle of Gallipoli or the Battle of Çanakkale (Turkish: Çanakkale Savaşı), was a campaign of World War I that took place on the Gallipoli peninsula between 25 April 1915 and 9 January 1916. A defining moment in the nation's history, the landing date is memorialised in Australia and New Zealand, ANZAC Day, the most significant commemoration of military casualties and veterans in those two countries.

I wish the Capt had made an announcement to some effect yesterday, or put something in the Compass.... probably after the fallout following our Suez Canal transit he may have felt loath to make a time prediction. There were very few of us on deck. To my shame I am there by accident.

Totally unable to post from my room to Photobucket right now. Threw these onto FB. I just click the button..... again apologies about the size..... if you click 'Control and the minus key if will zoom out..... Will post all pics when I can get them up to Photobucket

11270429_10155641315505352_8389686039340284888_o.jpg

11270695_10155641317320352_5472896259948763274_o.jpg

11224248_10155641323445352_3632988665240757592_o.jpg

We get our passports back today. We also have to produce a visa for Turkey (£20 purchased back home). I'm way behind with pics for the blog now..... Muscat is still not fully uploaded. There'll be a posting fest once I get home.

I'm pretty much packed..... ok I'm lying..... the cases are both full..... there are still items to go in..... repacking imminent....

I'm taking an RCL tour this afternoon..... we don't dock until 2pm. As the Grand Bazaar is closed on a Sunday I'll be visiting there tomorrow as I've purchased the transfer to the airport excursion.

Highlights today:

• the Hagia Sofia, once a Greek Orthodox basilica and then an imperial mosque
  • the Topkapi Palace, the royal residence for Ottoman sultans for 400 years

Here's today's Compass

DAY 15 RH Cruise Compass, Istanbul, May 31.indd.pdf

Edited by NorbertsNiece

We've just pulled in to Istanbul. Stunning sail in with views of and sounds from mosques and the Topkapi Palace. An incredibly busy port with craft of all sizes scurrying in a myriad of directions.

Apparently some of the city has road closures due to a demonstration today in Taksim Park. From what I can discover there has been civil unrest for some time necessitating the use of water cannon earlier this month. We are not touring in that area.

Are you docked in the more northern port nearer Taksim. Or are you docked at the port nearer to Sutanamhet and Topkapi please.

I understand on the 12th June we will be docked in the northern one.

If the northern one, are the HoHo buses and other transport around?

Thank you.

Apparently some of the city has road closures due to a demonstration today in Taksim Park. From what I can discover there has been civil unrest for some time necessitating the use of water cannon earlier this month. We are not touring in that area.

There is an anti-Israel 'Free Jerusalem' march, sponsored by the people who were responsible for the Mavi Marmara, being held in Istanbul today. Be wary.

Hi all,

Was a lovely day with a super guide..... by the time I'd got my head around this port of call I think the roll call groups were done and dusted..... many had been here before or are staying a couple of nights post cruise or are staying on board for the next one. I really wanted to see these places. We had a super guide. Not everyone on board had a great experience though, they were expecting to visit the Blue Mosque which is definitely not on the itinerary I read. They kvetched (moaned) throughout.

One complaint from me though. We were taken to a carpet showroom..... bear in mind I'd not attended any port talks..... we were given a demonstration of silk production and then fed some sesame bread and Turkish Black Tea.... then a hard sell.... the carpets are gorgeous and the demonstration of their construction fascinating. But a carpet that would fill my living room (and it's not big) was priced at $12000 and that's with ship discount and includes all duties and delivery to the house. Stunning carpets but please don't make me sit through a sales pitch. He was however much more affable than the Park West salesman.

Did not really encounter any issues.... there was an election rally in a square on the way to the Hagia Sofia. That's all.

We drove maybe 15 minutes in traffic to the area between the Hagia Sofia and the Topkapi Palace, over the Golden Horn Bridge (Galata) I believe it was called. We're docked near the Rainbow Steps..... Istanbul Limani I believe.... Can find out more definitively for you tomorrow. The tram stop is right there.

I've not slept until the alarm more than a couple of a times in the past month.

Today was one of the days. Decided not to wear socks to breakfast.... I like to wear a pair to go through security at airports...... had them out..... can't find them now. A brand new pair of white ankle socks. Seriously. Gone. Left 2 shoes behind in Singapore.... different pairs of Toms.... I'm useless at this. You should have seen me try to close the suitcases last night. Sigh.

Minibar guy just came round. This second. First time I've seen him..... he let himself in..... wanted to leave the promotions leaflet for the next occupant..... suggested that that was not a good idea as the room has yet to be cleaned.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been home for a couple of weeks and life has been so hectic. Am so sorry to have stopped posting and describing here.... would have been lovely had this been truly a live blog as previously. I've resized my camera image size so hopefully that will make a difference in the future to uploading. I'm also pretty useless and deciding what is good to upload and post here and what can sensibly be omitted. I did do some culling on board but you still got a hefty majority of what I actually took.

I'm going to be posting the link to my photobucket album here; have only just realised that all of Istanbul (2 days) are in my camera still!

Linda

Welcome home Linda. I trust you had safe travels home.

We stayed in Istanbul until June 4th and had a wonderful visit there. Our hotel was a few minutes walk from the Blue Mosque and we spent time with some friends who live in Istanbul, and were able to show us both the tourist and local areas.

Funny, there was NEVER an occasion that had to show that Turkish Visa. We did not need it to get off the ship Sunday or Monday and were not asked about it at the airport on Thursday.

Lovely to meet you on board. I hope our cruising paths cross again.

Marci

The links to the rest of my Rhapsody pics follow..... can't link the whole album so you can see them, have to link each port separately. Some may appear quite random. Do ask for an explanation..... ;)

Muscat is here

Salalah is here

Suez canal here

There's a pic of room number signage..... it's how to tell if you're facing forward....

Ashdod for Jerusalem here

Haifa day to Tel Aviv here.... there's a newspaper.... you don't need to read Hebrew to appreciate the headline

Santorini here

Piraeus here

Istanbul here and here

Thanks for posting those links, Linda. Up to now I've only had chance to look at the Istanbul pics (we're going there on Constellation in September ) The one which jumped out at me was the bride in white Western style wedding dress and veil.....complete with white hijab. I've never seen anything like that

Thanks for posting those links, Linda. Up to now I've only had chance to look at the Istanbul pics (we're going there on Constellation in September ) The one which jumped out at me was the bride in white Western style wedding dress and veil.....complete with white hijab. I've never seen anything like that

It seems hardly a cruise goes by without coming across a bride or two having photographs taken in famous locations..... there's one on Santorini too..... I think she may have been Japanese.... The bride in Istanbul was standing with her groom down an obscure pathway between buildings.... nothing of note at all.... quite random.

Unfortunately it wasn't possible to take photographs inside some of the rooms in the Topkapi Palace. The shame is the lack of time we had there...... really the city needs a good few days to do it justice. I absolutely loved the markets which were heaving with tourists; I bought tea and Fresh Turkish Delight to gift in the Spice Bazaar.

I do tend to go beyond the tourist bits to find the local areas but in the Grand Bazaar that was totally impossible. I was there en route to the airport and we were at least 15 minutes late heading off as a couple had got lost in there..... It's ridiculously enormous!!

I took pics of the pavement hawkers whilst we were waiting; they knew where the buses set down and picked up so really plied their trade. One gentleman purchased a cloth purse from one hawker and set off with his wife..... another hawker immediately followed him and he was persuaded to pass with more cash for a toy.

To go inside the Nuruosmaniye Mosque was such a privilege. I have never entered one before. It was serene and simply beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

I made the most amazing friendships on this cruise, not least with Valerie and Ian who added a wonderful dimension to my excursions and life on board for 4 weeks (let alone the months of planning pre-cruise here on the roll call). She has now posted her blog and it's fantastic. Some of the excursions you will recognise as we were together, others are similar and others are completely different. Loved reading about their day in Abu Dhabi in particular and their extra time post cruise in Istanbul. So good to read about the same journey but from another perspective. And so many memories have been evoked.

She also takes rather good pictures. Do take some time and read it here.

Linda

Edited by NorbertsNiece

• 2 weeks later...

Someone from the roll call has posted

video..... around 30 minutes in his views from the top of the Burj Khalifa are incredible..... just amazing.... Dubai was a port of call I really didn't get to appreciate and this video has helped fill that gap.

Linda

Edited by NorbertsNiece

• 1 month later...

Hi Linda

Thanks for your blog, I loved following you in May especially as my brother in law and sister in law were on the first leg. Can you remember if they ever opened the solarium roof? We are on Rhapsody in July 2016 and thought it would be very hot in there!

Hi Linda, Thank you for sharing your trip. Amazing pics. It reminded me of my trip a couple of years ago on the Mariner of the Seas. Also have great memories. Just came back from The Baltics and had a great time. Talk about contrasts of cultures Wow Thanks Again Bunny