Bit of a Blog : Rhapsody : B2B : Singapore - Dubai - Istanbul : May 3rd 2015

Happy Birthday Linda :)

Thanks Ron x

Just had breakfast docked in New Mangalore. Park Cafe is my sanctuary every morning. GF bun with cheese and onion, freshly squeezed OJ and granola yogurt parfait

Independent CC excursion today. Another adventure awaits

Dear Sunbed Hog(s),

When you leave your wet towels on a sunbed you can expect them to be replaced by my nice dry ones.

You are selfish (fill in appropriate word here)s

Not so kind regards,

Linda

PS It's pouring with rain.... hope you're on an afternoon excursion.

Dear Sunbed Hog(s),

When you leave your wet towels on a sunbed you can expect them to be replaced by my nice dry ones.

You are selfish (fill in appropriate word here)s

Not so kind regards,

Linda

PS It's pouring with rain.... hope you're on an afternoon excursion.

:) :) :) :) well done, selfish people

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Jason12

It's been a very interesting (birth)day to say the least.

I had the foresight to make notes on my phone en route.

We are no longer in Kerala State, now in Karnataka. I have learnt that in india the car horn is king and it is compulsory to use it numerous times.....

The view from deck 10 is quite depressing..... a vast industrial area with smoke belching from chimneys. This belies the lush and verdant countryside that we drive through. Ok, there's a problem with rubbish (garbage) which lines the roads. And the roads are narrow (hence the use of the horn) and quite often potholed or something really nasty...... as we experience severe jarring from time to time.

We were met on the pier by our tour guide..... I was that person you hate to wait for..... had left my camera in the Schooner Bar, sorry guys.

First stop was the Kadri Manjunatheswar Temple. Absolutely stunning. I am now accustomed to greeting with 'Namaste' and removing my shoes at temple steps. I learn today not to step on the lead step into a temple, this is customarily touched by a worshipper's hand which is then kissed. There are various prayer halls within the walls; there are also ritual baths. So beautiful; sounds of bells and drums and the smell of incense as well the utter devotion of those who are participating in worship.

We then drive quite a distance to Moodabidri to visit a 1000 pillar Jain temple. At this juncture I need to point out that the van we are in has seen better days; the air con is pretty non existent where I am sitting and the seats have very little padding left. By the time we get there I am a mess. At the temple we are passed by a family dressed mostly in purple; the elder women and a girl have flowers in their hair. A baby in arms, with tiny bells around his ankles, and his older brother have shaved heads. They are beautiful. I don't get a picture..... did not seem appropriate.... The daughter appeared delighted with my greeting and the comment that she is beautiful.

We are driving so fast I am unable to grab a picture of a svastika being used as originally intended.

On the drive we pass numerous cows and goats chilling by the roadside. A school proclaiming the title 'Balmy English School' and a homeopathic hospital, Ayurveda products are sold everywhere.

There's a girl charging down a slope; she is dressed in full Burka, black, but underneath a flash of yellow is seen as she runs. As we drive through towns the colours of the sarees are more than the rainbow; men are dressed from western style to local garb.

Back in Mangalore we visit St Aloysius Church. It is then decided to return to the ship and not visit the Fish Market, the Gokarna Temple or have lunch ashore. As there are 8 of us we need to return with 8 to the ship. It is suggested that we could head out again but we're not near town and the thought of more time in that van was more than I could bear.

Super day.

Hope to share Colombo pics with you later on..... it's glass of wine time.... and a surprise.....

Hope you enjoyed your birthday!

I am learning something new from your commentary every day.

Turns out eating Gluten topped with my best friends Moet and Merlot was not the best idea I ever had.

Happy Birthday Linda!! I have a lot of back tracking to do on your Bit of a Blog!

Thank you my lovely.

And thanks to everyone for reading, posting and just hanging out here.

There was a sale on Guess bags last night and with my C&A discount not bad at all. I resisted. But there's a certain someone out there who would love it..... Am sure it will reappear next cruise.... xx

Linda, I'm glad you had a great birthday!

I am so enjoying your blog. You really ought to write a book about your exciting travels!

I'll soon be on my TA cruise with many sea days, and I don't pay extra for Internet! I'll try to catch up on port days when I get wifi.

Linda, I'm glad you had a great birthday!

I am so enjoying your blog. You really ought to write a book about your exciting travels!

I'll soon be on my TA cruise with many sea days, and I don't pay extra for Internet! I'll try to catch up on port days when I get wifi.

Have a wonderful cruise Nancy :)

Lovely to see FB friends and old cruise friends here.

Am back on board.

We have been to Panjim which is the capital of the state of Goa. The influence of the Portuguese in Goan history is very strong. We pass many churches and shrines along the way. Many homes have Portuguese ceramic stands in their front gardens.

We've been to the Basilica of Bom Jesus which contains the remains of St Francis Xavier, the Jesuit missionary who was canonised in 1622.

Right across the road is Se Cathedral, otherwise known as St Catherine's. Her story is fascinating and in the UK we spin wheels with her name on on November 5th; not in her memory though, more"s the pity. Our guide states it is the largest cathedral in Asia with many chapels.

The Latin quarter of Panjim is very reminiscent of walking through a Mediterranean town.

We visit a Hindu temple high up in the hills and the town centre. Now the heat is pervasive. I look around a large and very colourful market selling fruit, veg, clothing etc and then locate a fish and chicken market which was upsetting.... nearly set free a cage full of live poultry. Sigh. I go to a State shop .... have been looking for a specific ring. No joy.

Sailaway was brought forward to 215pm. Local taxis are unable to enter the port area so we give a ride to some passengers for whom the walk would be difficult.

Slowly but surely.

A reminder to take my hat

DSCN3256.jpg

My breakfast lifesaver

DSCN3255.jpg

This map makes it look much nearer than it really is..... traffic is nasty and we took at least another hour going up.....

1.jpg

I seem to have a penchant for sitting on the right hand side.....

Downtown Colombo is a mass of Tuk-tuks

DSCN3257.jpg

DSCN3258.jpg

DSCN3259.jpg

Quite a few of the junctions have police nearby

DSCN3260.jpg

DSCN3261.jpg

First stop on the way up is a pimeapple stand

DSCN3263.jpg

The opportunity to meet local Sri Lankans is an opportunity I am delighted to participate in

DSCN3264.jpg

There are mangos growing in the trees overhead

DSCN3265.jpg

Our guide is very knowledgeable about pineapples

DSCN3266.jpg

We stop by a school where the children are celebrating Buddha's birthday

DSCN3276.jpg

DSCN3277.jpg

We are the subjects of much scrutiny

DSCN3278.jpg

DSCN3279.jpg

They have pedestrian crossing markings..... they seem to be largely ignored by the drivers.

DSCN3280.jpg

DSCN3282.jpg