Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

Further to this info.If you take the #17 to Van Dusen gardens the #17 should also be able to take you back to Canada Place. Some one might have more info. The web site shows the #17 going north past the Gardens as well. The stop is just across the street from the gardens . The crosswalk is light controlled..

As for going from the airport . Ask for a Van cab . It can hold the two of you plus all the luggage. The price is the same as a regular cab. Just a couple of minutes untill one arrives.

Yes, we plan to take the #17 to the Gardens but when I clicked on the Return button on the transit website, it gave several other buses and the Canada Line option. None of the buses were the #17; they were all in the 40's. If we can take the #17 bus back to Canada Place, that would be great.

As for the luggage issue, we won't need a van. We've fit us and the luggage into a Prius on prior trips. But thanks for the suggestion; I didn't mention how many pieces of luggage. It'll be one large bag each and, hopefully, only one carry on between the two of us.

Thoughts....

One idea.... use the Canada Line with the #17 there. On the return trip..... use the #17 and then walk the final segment (half mile) back to the hotel while exploring the downtown. It's all downhill for the trip back and you save the $12 for the two compass cards. If you plan to be exploring Vandusen on foot.... you can walk the final 1/2 mile back to the Pan Pacific.

Edited by xlxo

Yes, we plan to take the #17 to the Gardens but when I clicked on the Return button on the transit website, it gave several other buses and the Canada Line option. None of the buses were the #17; they were all in the 40's. If we can take the #17 bus back to Canada Place, that would be great.

As for the luggage issue, we won't need a van. We've fit us and the luggage into a Prius on prior trips. But thanks for the suggestion; I didn't mention how many pieces of luggage. It'll be one large bag each and, hopefully, only one carry on between the two of us.

The Vancouver transit now have changed the numbering of bus routes.

Bus that leave downtown have the same number for return.

If you look on http://WWW.translink.ca under schedules . The #17 schedule and route is given both ways as well as a map.

I find that Google Maps does a better job than the Translink planner with the same raw data. Depending on the time - it varies by mere minutes - different buses are recommended by either planner to give the shortest/fastest trip. Changing options like walking distance vs fewer transfers also changes route options.

For mobile folks, the SkyTrain is the fastest route in both directions but it does involve more walking than the #17 bus especially on the VD end. If you transfer between buses, you can shave the walking distance even more, but this adds delays. With your 80yr old already racking up a lot of walking inside VD, minimising walking distance is not a bad idea though!

The flagged issue on Translink is due to the failed implementation of the Compass system on buses - I'll avoid any political stuff and just stick to the facts, which are that while you can transfer FROM SkyTrain TO a Bus, you cannot do it the other way around due to different ticket policy (all buses are 1 zone all the time). The real annoyance is on weekends when the entire system is priced the same as a bus (1 zone) but you still can't transfer from buses to other modes!

Worst case you can buy a ticket for the bus, get off at a SkyTrain station, then buy another ticket to pass the gates and board the train - still cheaper than the $6 Compass Card fee for one days travel. #17 bus will take you back to basically the same intersection you boarded at (Granville & Pender) just the other side of the street.

Thank you all very much! We will take the #17 to and fro. It sounds like it's much simpler, less expensive, and less walking after touring the gardens.

Thanks for the additional information, martincath. I hope that the politics get resolved to make transferring from bus to Skytrain simpler, but that's probably as hopeless as getting a pipeline across Canada!

One last question that has yet to be answered: how much time does touring Van Dusen typically take? Since DM is a gardener, it will take us longer than what is typical but I'd like an idea in case we need to adjust our start time.

Thanks again!

FYI - just in case your 80 year old has trouble walking Van Dusen has wheelchairs that can be used to help get around the site - just see the security/info desk. Pretty well all the major trails/paths are wheelchair accessible

I bring this up as when I was volunteering there last Christmas I was made aware of this so there should be no reason that they aren't available at other times.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dennis

Martincath - can't you get around the extra fare issue by buying your compass ticket at one of the vending machines at a Skytrain station and then just walk to your bus and tap in and then when you transfer to a Skytrain just tap in again and it will recognize it as a transfer as long as it is in the 90 minute time frame.

I have a concession compass card so it isn't an issue for me and probably why I answer the original question as I did.

Cheers!

Dennis

FYI - just in case your 80 year old has trouble walking Van Dusen has wheelchairs that can be used to help get around the site - just see the security/info desk. Pretty well all the major trails/paths are wheelchair accessible

I bring this up as when I was volunteering there last Christmas I was made aware of this so there should be no reason that they aren't available at other times.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dennis

Thanks, again, Dennis. That's good info to keep in mind, should she require it. She has no issues with flat, level walking. I know very little about Van Dusen, is it flat and level or hilly? We have been debating about her taking her trekking poles which help her immensely. I want her to bring them; do you think she should take them for this excursion? Of course, with the weather forecast for this weekend and early next week, I'm now wondering if we'll make it there at all. Is Van Dusen still worthwhile in the rain?

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I can only relate what I know about Van Dusen from my volunteering there last Christmas and the festival of lights show and only a portion of the Gardens were open for that and most of my time there was in the evening and darkness.

The terrain is fairly level - no major climbs or stairs that I am aware off and since the site is wheelchair accessible there is usually a way around any steps etc. - many of the trails are gravel - her trekking poles particularly if they fold up etc might be useful but as you will probably be walking at a slow pace viewing the flowers etc will she actually need them - if she is used to them for support I don't see any drawback - I have a set myself but unless I am on knee jerking trails I don't usually use them.

Hope this helps and hopefully some of the other locals will post their knowledge of Van Dusen.

Cheers!

Dennis

AQ - in terms of timing and ease of walking I'll add that the other parts of the gardens Dennis didn't see are similar underfoot; lots of gravel, level paths, although the area immediately around the hedge maze is a bit more broken due to the roots. The maze itself is also quite messy unless they've just put down fresh cedar chips. We spent just an hour at Van Dusen this year - early spring, it was not at it's best. If you're visiting at a time with more flowers and walking slower than my wife's speedy pace, I'd say two hours should be plenty to see it - for a keen gardener who reads all the labels, takes some time to sit and enjoy each area, I'd still struggle to imagine more than a three hour visit.

Personally I enjoy QEP more, and since it's both free and only a few hundred metres away (and their restaurant has MUCH better views) I would strongly suggest doing lunch at Seasons in the Park and taking in at least the Quarry Gardens there, maybe the Conservatory (joint ticket with VD available at a discount) if tropical plants and birds are of interest. Grab a cab between them (~$10) to avoid walking up the hill to the resto and I'd say you could have a very enjoyable 4 hour visit between the two sites.

Martincath - can't you get around the extra fare issue by buying your compass ticket at one of the vending machines at a Skytrain station and then just walk to your bus and tap in and then when you transfer to a Skytrain just tap in again and it will recognize it as a transfer as long as it is in the 90 minute time frame.

I have a concession compass card so it isn't an issue for me and probably why I answer the original question as I did.

Cheers!

Dennis

Honestly not sure Dennis - but that wouldn't work for these folks as it's the coming back route that generally suggest to take SkyTrain, so unless they walked to Oakridge there's no TVM available. Whether or not you tap in right away, tickets are self-validating so they cease to allow tapping in 90mins after purchase - only the Compass Cards allow 'buy now use later' functionality (and even that is a pretty epic fail - if you load a Day pass it's immediately used on the first tap, so if you want to buy one for tomorrow you can't use transit for the rest of today unless you have two cards! Considering the same tech in London magically allows all transport modes AND automatically converts retroactively to a Day Pass if you take enough trips that it would have been the cheapest option I have no idea why there are some many problems locally - even my buddy on the citizen's travel consultation committee had no idea what the fudge Translink were playing at to be so inept with the implementation...)

Another vote to bring the collapsible walking sticks to enjoy the day. Balance is important and falling just ruins the trip... especially if the weather is wet.

Visiting this coming weekend? A tropical storm is peaking on Saturday. Damaging winds in the forecast from what is left of Typhoon Songda. Reassess the situation on the weekend.... winds can shift for better weather. Otherwise.... call ahead to see if the garden is closed for safety.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/storm-environment-canada-wednesday-1.3801674

Another vote to bring the collapsible walking sticks to enjoy the day. Balance is important and falling just ruins the trip... especially if the weather is wet.

Visiting this coming weekend? A tropical storm is peaking on Saturday. Damaging winds in the forecast from what is left of Typhoon Songda. Reassess the situation on the weekend.... winds can shift for better weather. Otherwise.... call ahead to see if the garden is closed for safety.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/storm-environment-canada-wednesday-1.3801674

We arrive Monday morning, depart on Tuesday on our cruise, so we plan to go to the gardens on Monday and take it easy Tuesday morning prior to boarding. Yes, we heard about the forecast. If it's really bad, perhaps we'll just stay downtown. I suppose we could always do Fly Over Canada...

Thanks, all, particularly for confirmation to bring the trekking poles.

AQ - in terms of timing and ease of walking I'll add that the other parts of the gardens Dennis didn't see are similar underfoot; lots of gravel, level paths, although the area immediately around the hedge maze is a bit more broken due to the roots. The maze itself is also quite messy unless they've just put down fresh cedar chips. We spent just an hour at Van Dusen this year - early spring, it was not at it's best. If you're visiting at a time with more flowers and walking slower than my wife's speedy pace, I'd say two hours should be plenty to see it - for a keen gardener who reads all the labels, takes some time to sit and enjoy each area, I'd still struggle to imagine more than a three hour visit.

Personally I enjoy QEP more, and since it's both free and only a few hundred metres away (and their restaurant has MUCH better views) I would strongly suggest doing lunch at Seasons in the Park and taking in at least the Quarry Gardens there, maybe the Conservatory (joint ticket with VD available at a discount) if tropical plants and birds are of interest. Grab a cab between them (~$10) to avoid walking up the hill to the resto and I'd say you could have a very enjoyable 4 hour visit between the two sites.

Thanks, Martincath for your informative post. I'll talk to DM about QEP and Seasons in the Park. I take your restaurant recommendations quite seriously! Still a little concerned about the forecast for Monday, though. Are VD, and QEP worthwhile in inclement weather? And I'd imagine the views from the restaurant would not be great in rainy weather.

On rainy days.... I would add the Aquarium to that list of activities along with Fly Over Canada....

[YOUTUBE]k8h1oLcVWLI[/YOUTUBE]

Lots of rain and then wind means trees uprooted.

I notice elevation change was discussed.... however, I think Queen Elizabeth has more of an elevation change than Vandusen as you are climbing an ancient volcano. If you do make it up to the top from the bus stop.... the Bloedel Conservatory may be worth a visit. Warning the surface is uneven so those trekking poles will be handy.

[YOUTUBE]YchRwq-6S5g[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks, Martincath for your informative post. I'll talk to DM about QEP and Seasons in the Park. I take your restaurant recommendations quite seriously! Still a little concerned about the forecast for Monday, though. Are VD, and QEP worthwhile in inclement weather? And I'd imagine the views from the restaurant would not be great in rainy weather.

Not so much rain as very low clouds cause problems with the view - unless the ceiling is well below 1000 feet the top of QEP will have clear views right across downtown Vancouver, and I find that grey skies bring out the colour of the vast swathes of trees visible from the top of the hill. North Shore mountains obviously start disappearing sooner since several of them are over 5000 feet high, but Vancouver proper is very low-lying topping out at just under 500 feet in QEP - the Shangri La and about half a dozen other skyscrapers downtown are actually taller!

QEP might be preferable to VD - the trails in the former are mostly paved or tarmac so better in the rain, the Conservatory is indoors (I want to say it was $6pp for a ticket just to here rather than a combo with VD), the restaurant is a touch cheaper as well as having the better views (neither are quite as awesome as they should be as the price includes the location premium) and of course QEP is free so if you visit and it is a bit meh you won't be out of pocket!

xlxo is correct that the nearest bus stops to QEP do mean an uphill walk into the park, not super far and all on sidewalks but it is quite steep (NB: Google Maps does not seem to be aware of the direct path up from 33rd & Cambie which runs straight up to the Conservatory - they show a 1km walk, it's less than half that really).

Weatherwise it looks like Monday will have rain, but less than 20mm spread over the whole day compared to much more on Fri/Sat/Sun. Once the last of the weekend storms actually hits land though things could change to be quite a bit worse or better than the current forecast!

Thanks for the last bits of info! Sorry, I haven't been on the boards the last couple of days. I hope you all survived the storms over the past few days!

I think we'll just play it by ear and see how the weather is tomorrow before finalizing our plans. We've got our umbrellas in our carry-ons so that we can easily pull them out to start touring, once we decide where we're going to go. Thanks so much for all your help!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

For the most part the storms didn't amount to much more than a good fall storm and the big one forecast for last night fizzled out to the south of us - some rain and wind but nothing to damaging.

Good luck tomorrow.

Cheers!

Dennis

For the most part the storms didn't amount to much more than a good fall storm and the big one forecast for last night fizzled out to the south of us - some rain and wind but nothing to damaging.

Good luck tomorrow.

Cheers!

Dennis

I'm glad to hear that. I remember that big storm some years ago where some very old and large trees in Stanley Park came down. I'm still optimistic that the weather will be better than forecasted for the next two days.

You probably know it but it is raining again today here in Vancouver - looks like a repeat of last year where it seemed to rain about every other day during the fall and winter season.

Doesn't help my SAD but at least I leave Thursday for Boston and a 14 day repo cruise on the Dawn so i should get some sunshine in the Caribbean.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers!

Dennis

Have a great cruise, Dennis!

We arrived yesterday, two hours late due to de-icing delays. Yes, it was raining but it wasn't bad. We took the cab (after a wait in that lineup; no taxis were there!) to the PP. After checking in and deciding to go for a late lunch, my back started to spasm. We went to Mahony & Sons for lunch; afterward it was raining harder. We decided to skip touring and relax in the room while I iced my back.

We will try another time to tour QEP and VD. I'm sorry we didn't get to see something new in your beautiful city! Although I got quite a chuckle from a sign on the way from the airport. It said "We take off more than Westjet". I asked the driver and he confirmed it was a strip club.

That would be the Penthouse Nightclub which is 1/2 block from my apartment.

How did you find the food at Mahony's and Sons - I ate there recently with two friends visiting from San Francisco and they enjoyed the meal.

Have a good cruise on the Star.

Cheers!

Dennis

That would be the Penthouse Nightclub which is 1/2 block from my apartment.

How did you find the food at Mahony's and Sons - I ate there recently with two friends visiting from San Francisco and they enjoyed the meal.

Have a good cruise on the Star.

Cheers!

Dennis

Yes, it was the Penthouse. I should have waved to you as we went by!

We enjoyed our lunch at Mahony. We shared a quesadilla and yam fries. The fries were really good; light and crispy.

We are actually on the Westerdam.

Hello,

My DH wants to see and cross Capilano Bridge. The problem is that I have a debilitating fear of heights....panic attacks...totally unable to move. :eek: I"m just NOT going to do this!!! I hate for him to miss it though...he was really excited when he saw the advertisement.

Anyway, Several questions

• Is the set up such that he can go and I just sit and read a book and wait for him?
  • Are there benches et al for me to sit and wait?
  • Will he return back to the starting point to meet up with me?
  • How long will it take him? (rough estimate...)

Thanks!

Edited by rgmacm