Room service tipping...

I could use some advice please...

This has happened to me quite the number of times:

I order room service. It comes. It's wrong. I still tip anyway (after all, they did bring it to me). I tell them something/s wrong. A DIFFERENT person (always a different person for some reason. Never the same person) comes back with the correct order. I tip them also (after all, they did bring it to me).

Am I doing the "right" thing by tipping twice? I often like a chump by tipping twice (I got the wrong order AND I have to wait longer AND I tip twice).

I don't want to "stiff" anyone either. I'm pretty sure it's expected for me to tip always for room service.

Has this happened to anyone else? Do you tip twice?

Does anyone know....is it the "fault" of the person bringing the initial food to me that they forgot an item/s, got some part/s of the order wrong, or is it not?

Is it the "delivery person" who is in charge of putting my order together and delivering it to me? Or maybe they are just tossed a tray already made up by someone else, pointed in a certain direction and told to go deliver pronto!

Since my next cruise is NCL, I posted this over there too.

Thanks for your insights!

I wouldn't feel like a "chump" because I look at it this way...

A few bucks means way more to them than it does to me. I have no problem tipping both servers. I would not even begin to think about doing otherwise.

I certainly don't think you are chump - rather that you are gracious. I like nchikk's comment.

My only other thought is: What do you normally tip? Would it make any sense to split it? I tend to bring only the cash I need and think through all my tips, and amounts and envelopes, but I don't think one wrong room service order would throw me off - but if it was happening all the time it would rattle my OCD to no end!

I know in the restaurant business the waitress for example is responsible for doing a check on food she's taking out to ensure it's both plated correctly and is satisfactory. But yeah, have no idea on cruise ships with those covered dishes...

Edited by Bobblefrog

I'd tip them both also. Probably not their fault that the kitchen got the order wrong.

When I'm on vacation I tend to be very generous with my extra cash in relation to those who are serving me.

I always tip $5 to room service. If my order was wrong, I'm assuming it would only be 1-2 items so I would give the second delivery person a couple bucks. Chances are they are delivering way less than the first person.

Hopefully the mix-up is not something that happens on a regular basis so in this case, I would tip both servers. They are just the runners not the actual person that set-up the trays and made the initial error..... they still did their job regardless of what items were delivered.

JMHO :)

It has happened quite often to me, to get the order & it's wrong (normally at breakfast). I usually just end up making due with what I've gotten, usually because I wouldn't want to wait until the next (and hopefully correct) order shows up. Or I send my husband off to the Lido to get what was forgotten :D

However, if I would wait for the correct or missing order, I would probably tip again also. I figure it's not their fault and you're correct in doing what you're doing - in my mind anyway :)

Hopefully the mix-up is not something that happens on a regular basis so in this case, I would tip both servers. They are just the runners not the actual person that set-up the trays and made the initial error..... they still did their job regardless of what items were delivered.

JMHO :)

Bingo

I wouldn't call you a chump, but if my room service order is wrong then I'll tip when they get it right. A little behavior modification.

This is how I would do it too. Tips are for doing a great job and shouldn't be expected.

I thought they got a share of the mandatory tip? How does that work?

I thought they got a share of the mandatory tip? How does that work?

Room Service is not part of the tip pool. Though you may see your waiters delivering room service.

We had this issue on our last cruise. Ordered room service and after it was dropped off we realized we had no silverware which we needed for the choc cake. We had to have someone send it down and I felt bad but I wasn't tipping again for that. We also waited longer for the silverware to come than we originally did for the food! In the end we didn't even eat it after waiting so long. I hate wasting food but by the time silverware came it had been an hour since we ordered and we were just too tired.

I'm sorry but I would not tip unless my order was correct. I understand it is not the runners fault however why should I pay someone for delivering an incorrect order? Now if that person came back in a timely manner I'd give them extra for correcting the problem in a favorable time.

In response to the fork issue previously addressed there is no way I'd tip if it took that long to get!

It's been years since I have even ordered room service on a cruise. Anytime I've tried to it is 45 mins or longer wait.

We had this issue on our last cruise. Ordered room service and after it was dropped off we realized we had no silverware which we needed for the choc cake. We had to have someone send it down and I felt bad but I wasn't tipping again for that. We also waited longer for the silverware to come than we originally did for the food! In the end we didn't even eat it after waiting so long. I hate wasting food but by the time silverware came it had been an hour since we ordered and we were just too tired.

WOW!

Not casting aspersions on you but I would have gone up to the lido and secured some silverware.

Nope. I wouldn't tip. If you don't bring me my correct order, no tip. I assume they are responsible for checking the order?

If the wait is longer than we're told, then we tip less.

no sliverwear? I have hands or can run up to get some, nbd to me, unless dd was sleeping, then I'd call back, but I wouldn't tip the person who delivered, they are only there because someone else forgot.

We always check our order before tipping anyway. I guess I could say it's only $1-2 but it's the principle to me. I don't tip for bad/incorrect service.