Nassau beach with guaranteed shade?

cruisegal134

Sounds crazy, right? Cruising to Nassau in June with my sister (we are in our 50's) and her 17 and 20 year old awesome sons. We are 100% Irsih and as fair skinned as they come. My sister and I love to sit on a beach and read in the shade and her boys would enjoy some fun in the water I am sure. Good food and drinks nearby would also be fantastic.

Problem is that many of the beaches seem like they have only a few shaded area that I am sure fill up quickly. I would hate to go through all of the effort of getting off the ship and taxiing to a nice hotel beach, for example, only to find that my skin is frying in 5 minutes. I even considered buying a little pop-up chair cover but maybe I am missing an obvious solution.

Thanks!

Sounds crazy, right? Cruising to Nassau in June with my sister (we are in our 50's) and her 17 and 20 year old awesome sons. We are 100% Irsih and as fair skinned as they come. My sister and I love to sit on a beach and read in the shade and her boys would enjoy some fun in the water I am sure. Good food and drinks nearby would also be fantastic.

Problem is that many of the beaches seem like they have only a few shaded area that I am sure fill up quickly. I would hate to go through all of the effort of getting off the ship and taxiing to a nice hotel beach, for example, only to find that my skin is frying in 5 minutes. I even considered buying a little pop-up chair cover but maybe I am missing an obvious solution.

Thanks!

There's no guaranteed shade on any of the beaches or resorts in Nassau. Later in the day, you'll get shade from the buildings themselves, but generally speaking, they are long stretches of beach. Most of some palapas, a few umbrellas and a bit of shade under a palm tree (shade moves with the sun, of course). So if you need to be out of the sun, I suggest you bring a pop up tent or cabana.

Have you thought about maybe going to Blue Lagoon for the day? Usually the cruise lines offer an excursion there and it's a wonderful place. There was PLENTY of shade there...almost everywhere you sit was shade anywhere on the island. The water is wonderful and very calm (it's a lagoon, I think man made) but very nice and super clear water.

There's also some inflatables in the water for the "kids". I know all of mine (and the hubby) really enjoyed them and had a blast.

Lunch is included (and drinks with lunch), so that's a plus as well.

I have a full review listed in my signature line with tons of pictures if you are interested. :)

• 2 weeks later...

For $65.00/pp you can head to the British Colonial Hilton which is in walking distance from the ship. It's on the other side of Senor Frogs.

There you will get chairs, towels, umbrellas, clam shells, beach, water and pool. Included in that price is food and beverages, alcoholic/non-alcoholic. The pool area is partly shaded there are trees and pretty gardens between the water and the building entrance.

We will consider this place again when we go back in August. All depends on the weather. My preference is to go to a hotel on Cable Beach - the last few times we were there we were told that a lot of construction was going on and it wouldn't be an enjoyable day.