Kids On-Board the Breakaway

So it's official, despite the sizable cruise credit we got from RCCL, we have decided to, once again, journey on the Breakaway to Bermuda. Slight change though. In the past I have gone with just my husband and booked a spa balcony. This time it is just going to be me and my two girls. Obviously, I know about the water slides, but didn't really pay attention to the kids' activities when we cruised on her before. Besides the slides, what else is there for an 10 and 12 year old to do on-board? Unless they can go to the kids' club together, I doubt they'll avail themselves of that.

Suggestions?

The Dolphins splash academy group is 10-12 year olds... And it is amazing! I recommend having them go the 1st night, that is when most friendships are made... And then each night from 7-10:30 is the cool theme game... Scavenger hunts, hunger games, divergent, survivor themed games. The kids had a blast... And my dd loved it and made some great friends from all over the world.

My daughter had such a blast the 1st night she was afraid to tell us the next morning that she didn't want to hang out with us and wanted to go back to splash academy. The only activities she skipped were the ones involving the sports court... She wasn't feeling the sports activities. But the circus skills bits and the nightly games were a must!

• 3 weeks later...

Our children are twins who will be 9(just short of 10) and one 11 both girls. Will they be able to go to one of the Kids Club together? Otherwise, they probably will not go and I know the 11 yr old would not go to a younger age club. We are on the April 17 Breakaway cruise.

We did Getaway her sister ship and out of 9 cruises including Disney and Quantum Getaway was their favorite.

1. The ropes course

2. putt put

3. Water slides

4. Trampoline

The kids NEVER ran out of stuff to do. The kids did not do much in kids club. I think it was 10-12 age group and they didn't want to go to club together being that my DS was 10 and DD was 12 getting downgraded from RCCL teen club insulted her preteen attitude. :)

We have looked at doing Breakaway but also Escape

Our children are twins who will be 9(just short of 10) and one 11 both girls. Will they be able to go to one of the Kids Club together? Otherwise, they probably will not go and I know the 11 yr old would not go to a younger age club. We are on the April 17 Breakaway cruise.

They are pretty strict about the age requirements for each level of the club. Obviously the 9 year olds will be able to go together, but it is unlikely that they would be permitted to move up to the older group (unless they turn 10 during the cruise) or that the 11 year old would be allowed to attend the younger group. Unles you are on a sailing without many kids, in which case they may combine age groups, I wouldn't count on them attending together.

The nightly themed games in the kids clubs are the most awesome part... I bet they won't care if they aren't together. I am sure things change with the current fads, but on our trip there were games based on Divergent, Hunger Games... Plus black ops, boys vs girls... Scavenger hunts... They did a really good job. These took place from 7-10/10:30 pm nightly.

I don't think anyone mentioned the climbing wall yet.

There are other activities during the day poolside, and in the atrium they may enjoy.

I would not say the kids program is pretty strict about the age boundaries; I would say they are absolute and immovable. I was behind a woman who was insisting someone told her "it would no problem" for her kids to be together and the sign in person was polite but firm. "I would like to know who told you that so we can get it corrected, as we are not allowed any flexibility and must go according to their birthday as shown on the ship manifest."

Unless they can go to the kids' club together, I doubt they'll avail themselves of that.

The difference between boys and girls :rolleyes: I would rather that my boys be in separate age groups because they cause trouble together. Unfortunately, for our next cruise they will be 6 and 8 (same age group). As you probably figured out from the previous posts, the next age group is 10-12, so your kids would be in the same group and could go together.

Regarding the kids club, you should check out the thread about the limitations and new check-in system that may be enforced soon.

Edited by theloo

Question about the activities at Kids club (10-12) - how are they supervised in doing a scavenger hunt? Are they just allowed to wander around the ship alone? Are they ever unsupervised?

According to my daughter they were divided into groups for the hunt and a counselor was always with them. Indeed every time we ran into her somewhere on ship there was a counselor with the group.

The difference between boys and girls :rolleyes: I would rather that my boys be in separate age groups because they cause trouble together. Unfortunately, for our next cruise they will be 6 and 8 (same age group). As you probably figured out from the previous posts, the next age group is 10-12, so your kids would be in the same group and could go together.

Regarding the kids club, you should check out the thread about the limitations and new check-in system that may be enforced soon.

Kids ages 5-10, how are they group together?