Port Miami

coldflame

Folks,

We just bit on a pretty good deal aboard the Escape late this year. Although I'm from FL, I haven't been to Port Miami in over a decade. So, the questions I have are:

1. What's the parking situation like?

2. Any good hotels near to hit for a night or two that isn't exorbitantly priced? Kids in haul, so I'd rather not be a roach/"love" motel :)

TIA.

Folks,

We just bit on a pretty good deal aboard the Escape late this year. Although I'm from FL, I haven't been to Port Miami in over a decade. So, the questions I have are:

2. Any good hotels near to hit for a night or two that isn't exorbitantly priced? Kids in haul, so I'd rather not be a roach/"love" motel :)

TIA.

Parking is average... right at the pier is fairly expensive... There are cheaper lots available...

My wife and I have stayed at the Holiday Inn across from the Bayfront Marketplace..., somewhat reasonable price for the hotel, and a very short ride to the pier.

Folks,

TIA.

Parking at the pier is $20 / day and secure. There are off-site locations, but I wouldn't recommend them. That's entirely up to you though.

Local hotels - I like the Hampton Inn Brickell and the Intercontinental. Neither are the cheapest, but they are clean. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in either. For a cheaper option, there is the Holiday Inn Port Miami. This is bare bones, but again, clean. I stayed there once, and wouldn't again ... but it had nothing to do with cleanliness, and everything to do with my preference.

There is a web site you can use to get a cheaper rate. You have to pay in full at the time of booking, but I have never had a problem getting refunded if I canceled within the cancellation period. Also, if you call them, they will further discount the rate given online. It's called Last Minute Travel.

Parking at the pier is $20 / day and secure. There are off-site locations, but I wouldn't recommend them. That's entirely up to you though.

Local hotels - I like the Hampton Inn Brickell and the Intercontinental. Neither are the cheapest, but they are clean. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in either. For a cheaper option, there is the Holiday Inn Port Miami. This is bare bones, but again, clean. I stayed there once, and wouldn't again ... but it had nothing to do with cleanliness, and everything to do with my preference.

There is a web site you can use to get a cheaper rate. You have to pay in full at the time of booking, but I have never had a problem getting refunded if I canceled within the cancellation period. Also, if you call them, they will further discount the rate given online. It's called Last Minute Travel.

Thanks for answers! :)

Good answers to your questions can be found on the East Coast Homeports:Miami board. This board's is more geared to things ON the ship.

Boy do you waste lots of time lecturing people around here. If you don't want to contribute to a thread....don't bother, don't log in, don't waste your time.

BUT

To go to the bother of logging in and typing a meaningless reply boggles the mind. Simple question requires a simple answer.

Once again, thank you for the meaningless post. The irony of taking the time to post to something you think does not deserve to be posted.

:)

As the others have said, Park at the pier. It is $20/day but it is secure. The other lots that are not at the pier are not secure and it is not uncommon for the vehicles to be broken into! If thats not a terrible way to end a vacation I don't know what is!:(

As for a hotel, I cannot comment on this. We drive through the night from Atlanta! :eek::eek:

We do about 2 - 3 cruises per year out of the Port of Miami and this past March, boy were we surprised! There is a newly constructed TUNNEL that goes straight to the port from I-395 eastbound. No more having to go through town past Bayside, therefore saving nearly 15 minutes on the commute! And for the convenience, we park at the port $20. per day.

We do about 2 - 3 cruises per year out of the Port of Miami and this past March, boy were we surprised! There is a newly constructed TUNNEL that goes straight to the port from I-395 eastbound. No more having to go through town past Bayside, therefore saving nearly 15 minutes on the commute! And for the convenience, we park at the port $20. per day.

Yes, parking at POM is egregiously expensive, but then again what's the price on peace of mind? Even though we live in the area, a cab ride or shuttle would run us almost as much; the convenience of pier-side parking can't be beat, easy in and easy out. Too many mixed reviews and horror stories about the various 'off-site' parking lots in Miami; maybe some are legit, who's to say? Do I want to believe everything I read on the Internet? After all, 73% of statistics are wrong. :D Booking parking thru some opaque internet site that doesn't provide the physical location until I provide my credit card # is a red flag to me. YMMV.

The new POM tunnel is definitely a time-saver, and a very cool ride! (Trivia time - There's only two highway tunnels in the State of Florida, this is one of them...any guess where the other is? :confused:).

Yes, parking at POM is egregiously expensive, but then again what's the price on peace of mind? Even though we live in the area, a cab ride or shuttle would run us almost as much; the convenience of pier-side parking can't be beat, easy in and easy out. Too many mixed reviews and horror stories about the various 'off-site' parking lots in Miami; maybe some are legit, who's to say? Do I want to believe everything I read on the Internet? After all, 73% of statistics are wrong. :D Booking parking thru some opaque internet site that doesn't provide the physical location until I provide my credit card # is a red flag to me. YMMV.

The new POM tunnel is definitely a time-saver, and a very cool ride! (Trivia time - There's only two highway tunnels in the State of Florida, this is one of them...any guess where the other is? :confused:).

Umm...Ft Lauderdale??? You know, the one that floods when it rains hard....

There is another hotel in Miami right near the port now called the YVE.

It's an older building but has recently been refurbished. It's right on Biscayne Blvd across from Bayfront Park. Small rooms, tiny bathrooms but it's a place to stay if you need something near the port for a night.

Recommend Hampton Inn Brickell (about a mile from the port, south of the Miami River) for a longer stay.

Boy do you waste lots of time lecturing people around here. If you don't want to contribute to a thread....don't bother, don't log in, don't waste your time.

BUT

To go to the bother of logging in and typing a meaningless reply boggles the mind. Simple question requires a simple answer.

Once again, thank you for the meaningless post. The irony of taking the time to post to something you think does not deserve to be posted.

:)

THANK YOU for taking the time out to not only ignore the OP's question, but to lecture me on the importance of not lecturing people. I hope that your mind ceases to be boggled.

While we are here, do you mind why my asking why you think that directing the OP to the Board where his/her questions are BEST answered is such a meaningless waste of time? When you think about it, there is probably a reason why Cruise Critic has different boards and not just one big board for all of the questions and answers. It is almost like you don't want them to get the information. :rolleyes:

THANK YOU for taking the time out to not only ignore the OP's question, but to lecture me on the importance of not lecturing people. I hope that your mind ceases to be boggled.

While we are here, do you mind why my asking why you think that directing the OP to the Board where his/her questions are BEST answered is such a meaningless waste of time? When you think about it, there is probably a reason why Cruise Critic has different boards and not just one big board for all of the questions and answers. It is almost like you don't want them to get the information. :rolleyes:

Now, now folks. Of all the things to get mad at each other about, a cruise/port question shouldn't be it. I appreciate the help those who have given it and also appreciate the people pointing me to the right place. No reason to get upset about this.

Now, now folks. Of all the things to get mad at each other about, a cruise/port question shouldn't be it. I appreciate the help those who have given it and also appreciate the people pointing me to the right place. No reason to get upset about this.

Don't misunderstand, there was NOTHING wrong with your question. All I was trying to do was get you to the place with the BEST answer. (The Miami Port board is great because there are a number of local experts who hang out there).

The problem here was caused by the person with nothing better to do than pop in and lecture people from their soapbox...all without trying to help you at all.

Don't misunderstand, there was NOTHING wrong with your question. All I was trying to do was get you to the place with the BEST answer. (The Miami Port board is great because there are a number of local experts who hang out there).

The problem here was caused by the person with nothing better to do than pop in and lecture people from their soapbox...all without trying to help you at all.

And, this thread likely will be moved to the other site anyway. I've recommended people to go to the ports section too and got reprimanded for doing it. Most likely the questions are there already.

Folks,

1. What's the parking situation like? As mentioned above, parking at POM is covered, convenient and secure - it is worth $20/day IMHO

2. Any good hotels near to hit for a night or two that isn't exorbitantly priced? Kids in haul, so I'd rather not be a roach/"love" motel :) When do you cruise? Prices vary with the tourist season - the $300 Feb room can go for $100 or less in July/Aug

TIA.

All Miami Beach and Miami hotels will charge you $25-30+ per day for parking. :eek: Where are you coming from? What is your budget? How many in your party?

Give the board a few more details and the suggestions from this board will be more on target. :cool: