A day in ANC and RailRoad Route

newbie_mke

I have one day (Friday) in anchorage before I head to Whittier for my cruise, the next day (Saturday).

I plan to take the rail to Whittier and then the 26 glacier cruise, my cruise leaves at 8 PM.

Now, for Friday I was thinking to do the Round Trip Day Tour to Seward via Rail Railroad. The Railroad package provides the Kenai Fjords National Park Tour Cruise at discounted Price. The reason behind this was the beautiful scenic journey plus the cruise.

Now, I am wondering, if that would be a good idea since I am anyways taking the train + cruise on Saturday. I know there is a difference in the Kenai Fjords National Park Tour Cruise and the 26 glacier cruise at whittier, but also account for the fact that my Princess cruise will also take me to Hubbard and Glacier Bay and I have wildlife viewing excursions in Juneau.

1. Would there be a significant difference in terms of experience on Friday and Saturday? Which is a more scenic route Anc to Seward or Anc to Whittier?

2. Is there somewhere else I can go on Friday? Suggestions please?

Thanks!

I have one day (Friday) in anchorage before I head to Whittier for my cruise, the next day (Saturday).

I plan to take the rail to Whittier and then the 26 glacier cruise, my cruise leaves at 8 PM.

Now, for Friday I was thinking to do the Round Trip Day Tour to Seward via Rail Railroad. The Railroad package provides the Kenai Fjords National Park Tour Cruise at discounted Price. The reason behind this was the beautiful scenic journey plus the cruise.

Now, I am wondering, if that would be a good idea since I am anyways taking the train + cruise on Saturday. I know there is a difference in the Kenai Fjords National Park Tour Cruise and the 26 glacier cruise at whittier, but also account for the fact that my Princess cruise will also take me to Hubbard and Glacier Bay and I have wildlife viewing excursions in Juneau.

1. Would there be a significant difference in terms of experience on Friday and Saturday? Which is a more scenic route Anc to Seward or Anc to Whittier?

2. Is there somewhere else I can go on Friday? Suggestions please?

Thanks!

The train trip Anchorage/Seward is superior to Anchorage/Whittier which is the same as the highway. The Anchorage/Whittier is mostly repeated on the Anchorage/Seward. BUT, this is a grueling day trip, that I would never consider, but plenty of people do it. Take a look at the route map,

Your cruise ship sailing, doesn't even come close to a boat tour, so not any comparison.

Depends what PWS tour you are doing? Surprise Glacier is superior to Blackstone. Also depends, IF you want to see varied wildlife, and what you expect to see in Juneau?

For those who do have wildlife as a priority then a Kenai Fjords boat tour is loaded and a good option especially since you aren't going to Denali?

I wouldn’t want to spend 8+ hours on the train roundtrip plus the 6 hours on the boat in Seward. You could rent a car and do this as well and be able to stop along the way. Another option is to rent a car, drive to the Portage depot and do the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop on the Alaska Railroad. This would allow you quite a bit of time along Turnagain Arm to stop and enjoy the scenery. Spencer Glacier is a beautiful area.

You could also consider driving north to Matanuska Glacier for a trek. It’s about 2 hours north of Anchorage.

@BudgetQueen

1. My train reaches Whittier at 12:05. So, I wont be able to take the Suprise Glacier Cruise by MMT. My Options are 26 Glaciers from PhilipCruises or Blackstone Bay by MMT. Which one do you suggest?

2. Yes, we are not going to Denali. But Whale watching in Juneau. Still makes sense to take the Kenai Fjords National Park Tour Cruise? Perhaps I will.

@Glaciers - Matanuska Glacier sounds interesting. I will check. Thanks1

You should be able to take the Surprise Glacier tour with the RR transportation. Your bags- which need to be ship tagged when you check them, are delivered to the ship.

Plus, Major Marine has combo rail/tours, for Surprise Glacier available. Verify this directly with Major Marine. From the train, it's a walk across the street to the boat tours. (assuming you can check in there, verify this as well).