Just back from Splendour TA, some thoughts.

I'm not planning a full review but wanted to post some thoughts and happy to answer any questions.

This was our third TA and we agree that it was probably our favourite so far. We were unsure what to expect beforehand, this was sold as an immersion cruise with Portugese being the first language as it sailed from Santos in Brazil to Barcelona. The vast majority of passengers were Brazilian, with around 70 Brits, 120 Americans, 100 Germans and a few other nationalities.

Also unusual for a TA, there were not so many higher tier C and A members, around 70 Diamond, 36 D+ (including us) and only 3 Pinnacle.

We need not have worried, everything either took place or was repeated in English, the staff seemed to love having so many English speaking passengers as they have had hardly any in Brazil and for most of them is a language they speak much better. Our fellow Brazilian passengers were a delight to travel with, always polite and friendly even though most don't speak our language, a very fun crowd who party late into the night and don't appear until lunch time meaning the ship often seemed almost empty.

Although its an older ship its generally in great shape but what really made this cruise were the crew. Everyone we came into contact with from the Captain down to the people cleaning the stairwells was fabulous, happy, friendly and welcoming. Service all round was very good.

We had an aft corner balcony on deck 7 which was great for getting some sun on the windy days during the crossing. Our only problem on the whole cruise was our toilet which often stopped flushing first thing in the mornings. This seemed to affect many of the aft cabins and has been ongoing. Indeed it turned into a much bigger problem on one morning when half the ship had no working toilets, some people for hours. Eventually this was resolved but we still had mornings when our toilet did not work. Maintenance always came quickly and fixed it but it was a bit annoying. We did end up with a future cruise credit which were happy with and it certainly did not take away any enjoyment of the cruise.

After next winter RCL is leaving Brazil but if they ever return we would book this TA again as it really is something different. Rhapsody is doing a similar itinerary next year for the final TA but unfortunately we can't make that one.

Let me know if there are any questions,

Julie

We are on Splendour at the end of June and it will be our 1st time as Diamond. Where do they have the nightly diamond event and did you enjoy it. Splendour was the first ship my daughter was on when she was three and now she is 17 she may find it to be small compared with Freedom and Voyager class. We chose Serenade last year and she had doubts about it beforehand but actually really enjoyed it so hopefully the same this time. How was the Park Cafe.

Who was your Cruise Director? Michelle Pimentinha?

Michelle was the cruise director but she had to leave unexpectedly in Tenerife due to a family emergency. Daniel her assistant took over but I'm not sure what was happening in Barcelona.

Julie

We are on Splendour at the end of June and it will be our 1st time as Diamond. Where do they have the nightly diamond event and did you enjoy it. Splendour was the first ship my daughter was on when she was three and now she is 17 she may find it to be small compared with Freedom and Voyager class. We chose Serenade last year and she had doubts about it beforehand but actually really enjoyed it so hopefully the same this time. How was the Park Cafe.

All of the C and A events were fantastic, we've never had so many invitations on any cruise. There is a diamond lounge on deck 5 just inside the top hat lounge with the CL in the same place on the opposite side. For our cruise they made the whole Top Hat lounge including both side lounges private for the nightly event. They served not just the usual drinks from the list but absolutely anything anyone wanted. We tried different Martinis every night!

We cruised on Splendour in 2006 and we surprised to see our head waiter from that cruise Hans is still there, now as restaurant manager and still doing his magic trips! Our last cruise on RCL was on Oasis and I have to admit I much preferred this, much better food and more personal service. It actually felt like we were on a cruise ship.

We had lunch from Park cafe several times, they had a nice selection, maybe slightly less than Oasis but still good. I really liked the location in the Solarium. We also enjoyed the Dog house. On all of the sea days they had some sort of cooking/BBQ by the pool too. I'm not much of a buffet fan and only set foot inside the Windjammer once during the whole cruise!

I think you'll have a great cruise:)

Julie

Michelle was the cruise director but she had to leave unexpectedly in Tenerife due to a family emergency. Daniel her assistant took over but I'm not sure what was happening in Barcelona.

Julie

Thanks for the info. She was only supposed to be CD for the Brazilian season, so I suppose the next CD took over in Barcelona. Now to find out who that is....

:)