Sleep Inn or Best Western Fort Lauderdale area

Joby

Really??? On trip advisor there are glowing reviews about this hotel and no mention of bad area at all....It is only 7.9 miles from the port.... how much are taxi rates in Ft. Lauderdale for it to cost that much to get to the port?? Wow. This is why I love Cruise Critic...would not have known this info without people sharing!:)

The BW is in Hallandale 10 miles from the port entrance according to Google Maps, then another mile or 2 to the terminals. It's in a very low income neighborhood, but it should be fine for just overnight or with a car.

Edited by royalcruz

thanks everyone! I already cancelled the rooms and will just keep looking. The Hyatt Pier 66 looks nice and it is $250/night right now. Probably will book there.

I tried LMT and the only thing that came up was a Travelodge at $162 and I won't pay that for a Travelodge! :rolleyes:

I just found the Westin for $198/night!! Is this a good hotel???

Edited by deew0424

Just an FYI--I just found the Sleep Inn in Dania for $123 + tax for our date in February and free cancellation until 2 days before our stay on Kayak--it redirected me to Last Minute Travel (LMT).

You do have to have an account on KAYAK to get this deal (it's free to make a Kayak account).

Maybe this will help someone :)

I've got Sleep Inn booked for Feb. 20 for $162, so that $123 rate looked good .. Unfortunately the Kayak site was well over $200. I'm sure it's probably different every day.

Deb

We sailed near Easter so we too wanted a budget friendly hotel, especially since we needed two rooms. We selected the Sleep Inn based upon a great Military rate. We did not have a rental car so having the hotel shuttle was a nice perk. Both of the rooms and the entire hotel was spotlessly clean. The Mgt was very friendly and helpful. There is a 24 hr Walgreens adjacent to the hotel. The hotel is a modern indoor-corridor style so no issues with safety. I do not know the area but it seems to in a decent, well kept area. There is a shopping center across the street. The center is now under renovation so the Publix and the Mexican Restaurant is now closed.

There is however a Chinese restaurant and an Italian place.

From reading other posts regarding the Sleep Inn, it appears that there is a new Publix location and it is within walking distance.

I would not hesitate to stay here and in fact will book here again if we need a pre-cruise hotel in the area.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

I've got Sleep Inn booked for Feb. 20 for $162, so that $123 rate looked good .. Unfortunately the Kayak site was well over $200. I'm sure it's probably different every day.

Deb

Hi Deb,

I just plugged in February 20 for 1 night after signing into Kayak and it showed the Sleep Inn as $215 :( BUT, it did show the Best Western Plus on Stirling Rd for $137 + tax and is able to be cancelled before February 17 for no charge.

Maybe that would help?

We sailed near Easter so we too wanted a budget friendly hotel, especially since we needed two rooms. We selected the Sleep Inn based upon a great Military rate. We did not have a rental car so having the hotel shuttle was a nice perk. Both of the rooms and the entire hotel was spotlessly clean. The Mgt was very friendly and helpful. There is a 24 hr Walgreens adjacent to the hotel. The hotel is a modern indoor-corridor style so no issues with safety. I do not know the area but it seems to in a decent, well kept area. There is a shopping center across the street. The center is now under renovation so the Publix and the Mexican Restaurant is now closed.

From reading other posts regarding the Sleep Inn, it appears that there is a new Publix location and it is within walking distance.

I would not hesitate to stay here and in fact will book here again if we need a pre-cruise hotel in the area.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the Sleep Inn. I'll keep watching both hotels and see which ever is less expensive and go with that. It sounds like either the Sleep Inn or Best Western would be fine choices for an overnight without a car for us.

Edited by Joby

Hi Deb,

I just plugged in February 20 for 1 night after signing into Kayak and it showed the Sleep Inn as $215 :( BUT, it did show the Best Western Plus on Stirling Rd for $137 + tax and is able to be cancelled before February 17 for no charge.

Maybe that would help?

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the Sleep Inn. I'll keep watching both hotels and see which ever is less expensive and go with that. It sounds like either the Sleep Inn or Best Western would be fine choices for an overnight without a car for us.

Yes, that was our main concern also.... we did not want to rent a car and there was 5 in our group so a taxi would've been a tight squeeze. I did not mention this before but having the complimentary hot breakfast was a nice perk too. It was not a deal breaker but it saved us a bunch as I had 3 hungry breakfast- eating boys to feed. The hotel had the usual cereal, bagels and fruit but they also had sausage, scrambled eggs plus sausage gravy and biscuits. Oh, the waffle-maker was a big hit too. All of the rooms had a mini-fridge , a microwave and a coffee maker. I liked having the mini-fridge as we were able to use it to keep our pop cold for later in the eve. The microwave also came in handy for popcorn. Again, not a deal-breaker but it was nice to have.

Keep your eyes on the TripAdvisor reviews too.... they seem to be a pretty good source of good information as well.

Whatever your decision... wishing you a great cruise. :)

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

If you're open to others, the Best Western on Sw12th ave. just off State Rd 84 we have found to be very good, clean and close to a Winn Dixie, liquor store, various fast foods, a sports bar, and several other stores. We've always got good prices there.

Hi Deb,

Maybe that would help?

Yes, that was our main concern also.... we did not want to rent a car and there was 5 in our group so a taxi would've been a tight squeeze. I did not mention this before but having the complimentary hot breakfast was a nice perk too. It was not a deal breaker but it saved us a bunch as I had 3 hungry breakfast- eating boys to feed. The hotel had the usual cereal, bagels and fruit but they also had sausage, scrambled eggs plus sausage gravy and biscuits. Oh, the waffle-maker was a big hit too.

Keep your eyes on the TripAdvisor reviews too.... they seem to be a pretty good source of good information as well.

Whatever your decision... wishing you a great cruise. :)

Is this the Westin Beach Resort?

No, it was the one that is North of Fort Lauderdale. I cancelled it...found out from others that this is in a corporate park, right next to 95 with nothing around it and about 10 miles from the port. I got excited until I realized it was the wrong Westin. :(

We just stayed at the BW Plus on Stirling last month pre-TA cruise and loved it. They have a free shuttle from the airport. Their cruise shuttle was $10 pp and they arranged shuttles by ship so no wasted time. The place is very new and fresh. Typical BW breakfast buffet (hot/cold food), but it was very busy on a Sat. morning with cruisers! Rooms are attractive and large with high ceilings. I would highly recommend it.

We stayed at the Sleep Inn five years ago and while it was ok (and a good price), it seemed very much like a budget hotel. As others have said it is convenient to a Publix and some restaurants. We enjoyed walking due east about a mile to visit Hollywood Beach's boardwalk.

We're staying at the BW on SR 84 next Jan., for the first time, so glad to hear sprockie's remarks!

Barb

Edited by BarbinMich

We selected the Sleep Inn based upon a great Military rate. There is a 24 hr Walgreens adjacent to the hotel. The hotel is a modern indoor-corridor style so no issues with safety. I do not know the area but it seems to in a decent, well kept area. There is a shopping center across the street. The center is now under renovation so the Publix and the Mexican Restaurant is now closed.

For what it's worth, that Italian place you mentioned in the plaza across the street from the Sleep Inn is pretty good. We always eat there.

We stayed at the Sleep Inn last September. It was fine for 1 night and I appreciated the Walgreens being right next door. I went twice before leaving for the port to grab some last minute items. It is a budget hotel and pretty basic. However, the area seemed quiet and residential. I usually travel with my two teenaged kids by myself. Never once did I feel unsafe or on edge, even after walking next door to the Walgreens or across the street to the Mexican restaurant. Too bad that's gone! The margaritas were delicious.