?? When a Ship Leaves Port ......

sail7seas

I like that aspect of leaving FLL, it's very festive. The pleasure boats also come to salute the cruise ships that are leaving. However, as we were sitting on our veranda on the Zuiderdam, we were flashed by a woman (not a nice view) from a cabin cruiser. I could have done without that.

We love it whenever we go by the Condos in Ft Lauderdale and they are all waving the towels and blowing their horns and whistles.

There have been several occassions when we have heard the ships "talking" back and forth with their whistles - love that as well.

We were docked next to one of those gigantic Carnival ships in Nassau once, and as it backed away from the pier what seemed like several dozen passengers mooned us from their balconies. I have heard from others that this has happened to them, too. I'm all for maritime traditions, but...

Moored in Tampa is the SS American Victory.

SHIPATDOCKA.JPG

I was on it doing a ship tour and was up on the bridge as a Carnivale ship got ready to leave port. A lady came up to the bridge and said, it was her job to toot the horns as the Carnivale ship tooted as it slipped from the dock. They do this every time another ship leaves. :)

I',m a fort lauderdale beach condo resident. It is a "love, hate" relationship with the cruise ships....Love 'em, but hate to see 'em sail without me...

The arrival of the QMII on her first call to Ft. Laud was probably the most memorable of all...hundreds of ft laud residents flocked to the beach before dawn to great her arrival, and many of the residents in the condos held parties...

gary

My Grandmother used to live on the 17th floor of one of the condos in Ft. Lauderdale. I remember being 3 or 4 and sitting on her balcony waving at the cruise ships and the tugboats that would go by. I would squeal with delight when the ships blew their whistles. Now in Oct I am going on my second HAL cruise, this one leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale and I hope there is a small child watching having the same expereince I had and dreaming of someday being on one of those beautiful ships. Dreams do come ture and things really do seem to come around full circle.

On my first HAL cruise 10 years ago we left out of Tampa and there was very little fan fare but that was ok I was on my honeymoon and it was a nice intamite moment for my DH and I. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary on HAL because after our honeymoon I wanted to go again soon but we couldn't afford it but my DH promised for our 10th we would go so here we are, 10 years older, 2 kids, owners of a sucessful business and fulfilling a promise we made 10 years ago. I am so excited!!!!

Jill

Jhoelle.......What a lovely post.

It is no nice reading such a beautiful message.

Wishing you a very Happy 10th Anniversary and many more years together in good health and happiness.

Have a GREAT cruise!!!!

Thank you for the well wishes, I am very excited for this cruise and have been planning for a long time. I call it my cruise of 10's:

10th anniversary in the 10th month for 10 days and at least 10 thousand memoires. :D

The only part I didn't get was to be in that size 10 dress:( but I have had a few health issues and surgery to deal with so I couldn't exercise but that's ok I feel so much better now that I am all healed up.

I hope to get my DH to promise another cruise sooner than 10 years, I don't think I can wait that long again:)

Jill

Many ships will give a good blast on the whistle (horn) in return salute to the pedestrians on San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge waving Bon Voyage to the ship as she heads into the Pacific.

Always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and often causes me to tear up just a tad, although not as much as when the ship gives three blasts before backing away from Pier 35.

Among my favorite memories from all our years of cruising were the many salutes from other ships and boats when we were on SS Norway a few years ago. It was intended to be the Grande Dame's last year of cruising from the States, and as we left Miami that day, the other three or four cruise ships also departing that day each went by us in turn and saluted with a whistle blast. Several pleasure boats in the area also joined in. When SS Norway acknowledged with a whistle blast of her own, it was so powerful the ship nearly shook. :) It was very emotional, as well.

Because we were taping the voyage, we have the entire exchange on audio. It's a most treasured souvenir.

Forgot to mention in my other post re Golden Gate and whistle (horn) blasts -just last week, while transiting the Kiel Canal onboard Oceania's Regatta, a little steam launch gave us three little toots on her whistle, which were answered by the bridge of Regatta - followed by another little toot from the launch, and another blast from Regatta. Several passengers chortled - it was really a David and Goliath moment.

Love those whistles (horns).

I often watch ships from Manhattan's Chelsea Piers on the west side in the 20's and have sometimes heard this exchange as the pilot gets off the ship and his tug pulls away just after getting around that bend in the river.

Ship: 3 longs

Tug: 3 longs

Ship: 1 short

Tug: 1 short

It sounds to me like a sort of "thank you" and "you're welcome - have a safe voyage."

IN FACT, a few minutes ago, since the windows of the apartment are open and the wind is right, I heard a ship's 3 longs, then a pause because we're too far from the river and buildings block the sound of the tug, then one short blast. I checked the Empire State building's web cam and see that the Norwegian Crown just passed by.

Several years ago, we were on the Norway anchored near St. Thomas. As a Costa ship left the two ships exchanged a whistle blast. We were standing on the top deck at the bow so the whistle was just over our heads--REALLY impressive. Then the Costa ship tooted the jingle "shave and a haircut" and we waited in vain for our Norwegian caption to respond "ten cents." What a disappointment. Just not as playful as the Italians...

Archived