How strict are they about height req for zip line tours

renaissancewoman101

I've been investigating tours for each of my Alaskan cruise stops. In Ketchikan I am interested in doing the zip line adventure park. For those of you who've done ziplining here, how strict are they about height requirements. They say you have to be 4'5" to be able to zipline (due to fitting the equipment). I'm barely 4'5". I know the 4'5" is just a guideline since they have to make sure you fit into the harness correctly. I know that I can't ride stand up roller coasters since although I fit the height requirements, they can't lower the harness on me without having me on my tiptoes.

Also, if I do sign up for the zipline tour on the ship and I get there and the people at the zipline excursion tell me that I can't do it, will I get a refund?

I'm exactly 4'5" (measurement at doc office a few years ago). But I've had instances where (on stand up roller coasters), they say you have to be 4'5" but I still wasn't able to go on since they couldn't fit the harness on me without me on my tiptoes (which is a no-no).

I will call the company offering the excursion and ask.

We did zip lining in Alaska. We booked through the ship, and it seems the only things concerning were age and weight. Age, because of the price difference; weight , (my guessing) because if you are too light, it's hard to arrive the other end of a long line and one of their staff had to pull you over. (that's what happened to me.)

I'm guessing the height thing is so you can reach the handles while still having your feet on the platforms - you need the traction to be able to get speed up to launch properly (not on the huge downward-only ones like at ISP, but definitely on any of the 'trek' style where you go from zipline to zipline in a series, the lines are noticeably parabolic with the landing zone in the 'uphill' part for braking).

If you are exactly the right height but your legs are disproportionately short (so with the harness under your crotch your feet dangle) there's no way they can safely let you do it; sounds like this may be your issue if standing coasters have been a problem for you.

As already mentioned, weight is more relevant than height in many ways - it's all about having enough momentum so you reach the end rather than start sliding back to the lowest point before you hit the landing area.

Having watched borderline weight kids dangle for minutes while their parents were either in gales of laughter, slightly tense, or screaming at the staff to rescue poor little Billy it's understandable when an operator wants to be stringent in applying their guidelines...

We are doing a zipline excursion in Skagway. Their website just says minimum age of 6 and min. Weight of 50 pounds but nothing about minimum height.

Maybe check that one? Grizzly falls ziplining. Expedition.