Deceased paassenger on Breakaway

smilz

Just read in the Royal Gazette today that a passenger died on Breakaway and everyone was delayed by a few hours when disembarking in Bermuda. I've been on a ship when a deceased passenger was taken off before anyone got off but was wondering if this is standard practice for NCL or was the delay caused by Bermuda officials? My condolences to the family. I can't even imagine...

I've been on a ship when a deceased passenger was taken off before anyone got off but was wondering if this is standard practice for NCL or was the delay caused by Bermuda officials?

It's standard practice both in the US and abroad. The local authorities must determine, based on the initial inquiry, that there is no reason to suspect that the death was caused by anything that would constitute a threat to public health.

My sincere condolences to the family. I could not imagine.

But, I am curious...does the family have to pay to have them sent back home? As well as getting themselves back home? Is that covered by travel insurance?

But, I am curious...does the family have to pay to have them sent back home? As well as getting themselves back home? Is that covered by travel insurance?

Yes, the family is responsible for getting the deceased's remains and themselves back home. It is very often covered by travel insurance, but that's not universal. This is just one more reason people must read the insurance coverage before purchasing.

I use Travelex Insurance for my trips, and even their most basic level of coverage includes up to $100,000 for repatriation in covered circumstances, which includes "Sickness, Injury or death of you or your Traveling Companion and/or you or your Traveling Companion’s Family Member or Business Partner."

If travel insurance has "repatriation" coverage it will pay for remains to be shipped home. Otherwise family pays. Insurance policies need to be read to know what is covered.

My prayers go out to the family and I hope all the expenses are covered.

It's standard practice both in the US and abroad. The local authorities must determine, based on the initial inquiry, that there is no reason to suspect that the death was caused by anything that would constitute a threat to public health.

The local officials also have to determine if there is any reason to suspect criminal activity.

Very sad but a large cruise ship is like any community. People have strokes, heart attacks, fatal accidents.....

Condolences to the family. How horrifying for this to happen to a loved one while vacationing.

Because the cost of repatriation can be extremely high, if there is no insurance, I wonder if some people don't cremate the remains as a means to bringing their loved one home without that huge expense?