lol Carnival

keith75

So people who made a living off of 3 day cruises and Interior cabins in the 90s and early 2000s are worth more than the balcony and suite cruisers of now.......

Edited by keith75

Sadly, yes.

On Royal Caribbean, this is not the case. You get double the cruise points if you stay in a suite, or you cruise solo. On NCL, you get double the points for getting a suite or Haven stateroom, as well as if you book 9 months or further in advance. The statuses are also more reasonable. Do I like the rewards programs on other lines? Certainly. Do I want to put myself in those loyalty programs? Definitly. Will I stop cruising Carnival? No!

I understand the frustration of many, I feel like a middle child! Not good enough for the nice perm's, but I don't need to be lured back to another cruise, so I get no attention. But I'm totally with you, if you get an interior gaurentee on a few 2 and 3 night cruises from long beach, and I get aft balconies on two 7 night cruises and a 4-5 night cruise, we should not be on the same level.

So people who made a living off of 3 day cruises and Interior cabins in the 90s and early 2000s are worth more than the balcony and suite cruisers of now.......

Bitter are we? Not all of us got to Platinum in what you would call the "easy way" you know!! I did become Platinum under the old system (10+ cruises) but all of them (except for my 1st cruise) were 7-8 days and all of them (again, except my 1st cruise) have been in Balcony cabins (and a couple of suites). I would've qualified for Platinum under the new system even if I hadn't automatically been put into it (had just over 75 days when they introduced the new system). And no, I don't think I'm better or more special than anyone else.

Edited by Avril

I guess I'm not understanding all the hostility towards Platinum. My first cruise was in 2007. Since then we have sailed 127 days on Carnival. We have never had an inside cabin, and have always had either balcony, aft balcony, or suite. We earned our Platinum level and were not grandfathered in. We do not feel we are better than anyone else.

We still work, and work hard for our vacations. We still have 3 kids at home.

I almost feel bullied by the people who haven't become Platinum yet and seem so angry about it. Again, I just don't understand.

If one plays the game why should others care, its there choice to play the game as well.

I went Platinum with Carnival with the old program and yes i did many 4 day cruises as well as a 12 and many 7 day cruises. Keep in mind many of the perks that I received upon becoming Platinum have changed that I had enjoyed in the past. I enjoyed the free tourney entry and liked the idea of unlimited washes. Only use the wash benefit for long cruises.

RCL also changed there program from number of cruises to days sailed.

I don't think anyone sails for the perks, but not waiting 2 hours to checkin is a dream come true.

Bitter are we? Not all of us got to Platinum in what you would call the "easy way" you know!! I did become Platinum under the old system (10+ cruises) but all of them (except for my 1st cruise) were 7-8 days and all of them (again, except my 1st cruise) have been in Balcony cabins (and a couple of suites). I would've qualified for Platinum under the new system even if I hadn't automatically been put into it (had just over 75 days when they introduced the new system). And no, I don't think I'm better or more special than anyone else.

Yes I am kind of bitter when the price of my cabin could pay for 3 or 4 interior cabins and they treat me like a outcast.

I guess I'm not understanding all the hostility towards Platinum. My first cruise was in 2007. Since then we have sailed 127 days on Carnival. We have never had an inside cabin, and have always had either balcony, aft balcony, or suite. We earned our Platinum level and were not grandfathered in. We do not feel we are better than anyone else.

We still work, and work hard for our vacations. We still have 3 kids at home.

I almost feel bullied by the people who haven't become Platinum yet and seem so angry about it. Again, I just don't understand.

People have to have something to complain about whether it is this current VIFP stuff, or when they gave us (red card people) a "free" drink coupon. They couldn't even be thankful, much less grateful, for a "free" drink coupon so that was taken away and now we get a "free" bottle of water. And guess what? They are complaining about the "free" bottle of water now.

It really doesn't matter what it is, they will complain even if given a "free" cruise. Life's too short - be thankful.

Yes I am kind of bitter when the price of my cabin could pay for 3 or 4 interior cabins and they treat me like a outcast.

You are not treated like an outcast at all. Get over yourself. If you really care this much then you are just a few cruises away from becoming platinum and trust me once you become platinum the perks are not even that great. There is no difference in your service whether you are blue, red, gold, platinum, diamond. So many cry babies over a party, jeeze.

A 3 day cruise in an interior cabin in the 90's was, many times, more expensive than some 7 day cruises in a balcony today.

You want fair? Give points based on the cruise fare. $700? 700 points, regardless of length of cruise or cabin category. But even with that system someone will complain that it isn't fair

For the price I would much rather have 3 or 4 cruises with a OV or standard balcony than a suite.

And to that as well. It is a lot easier to take off work on a Friday for a 3 day to Nassau than an entire week. I normally do at least one week long cruise a year and several weekend.

No offense, but as I've said before, a big reason to cruise on Carnival is for its affordable prices. If you're spending 4X times more than the passengers on the cabin across the hall from you, maybe you should consider sailing on a more upscale cruise line where you will be pampered for that kind of money, regardless of past guest status.

Edited by Tapi

A 3 day cruise in an interior cabin in the 90's was, many times, more expensive than some 7 day cruises in a balcony today.

You want fair? Give points based on the cruise fare. $700? 700 points, regardless of length of cruise or cabin category. But even with that system someone will complain that it isn't fair

It isn't. I could be saving on cabin fare to spend in the bars, or shore excursions, or having a prime steak every night.

A program based on spending is one of the easiest systems to cheat.

Well, that's a choice you made. I would personally choose more cruises than one expensive cruise. I am not spending the majority of my day in a glorified hotel room if I am in some beautiful tropical area. But, it's a choice.

I think Carnival should just eliminate the past guest party completely for everyone and give Golds 1 anytime drink coupon, Platinums should get 2 anytime drink coupons, and Diamonds should get 3 anytime drink coupons. The anytime drink coupons would be good for any kind of drink at anytime, up to $9.00. They could be added to the cruise document print programs and validated via the POS machines aboard the ships so they cannot be used more than once.

It isn't. I could be saving on cabin fare to spend in the bars, or shore excursions, or having a prime steak every night.

You could get points for every dollar spent aboard as well. That would make it very fair, IMHO. [emoji2]

This way the $1,500 suite passenger with the $500 S&S gets 2,000 points, the $750 balcony passenger with the $1,250 S&S gets 2,000 points, and the $250 porthole passenger with the $50 S&S (me [emoji6]) gets 300 points.

IMHO, it would also drive onboard spending up, thus creating more revenue for Carnival. Under this system, someone who is only a couple points away from the next level would most likely order extra drinks, or buy that logo item they were not planning on getting, or indulge that spa treatment, all in an effort to get to that coveted free bag of laundry or those $12 chocolate covered strawberries.

Edited by Tapi

I think Carnival should just eliminate the past guest party completely for everyone and give Golds 1 anytime drink coupon, Platinums should get 2 anytime drink coupons, and Diamonds should get 3 anytime drink coupons.

The new drink coupons for Gold are only on the LAST day, and AFTER 5pm. Can someone shed some light behind this logic, besides a lot of people being in their cabins packing and doing last minute things before debarkation, and with their minds somewhere else besides redeeming a free drink coupon?