Royal Caribbean orders fourth Quantum Class Ship!

I

My money is on PC so Oasis can go to China. ;):D:p:eek:

I'm struggling to see everyone's negativity to ships going to China, surely there's more places in the world to see (be honest, how many times has the average Diamond and above cruiser visited Jamaica/Cozumel etc)

Interesting times for the cruise industry as a whole. Look at all the ships on order between now and 2020. A lot of new capacity coming. I am looking forward to sailing on a Quantum class ship. I also hope RCCL keeps more new Celebrity ships coming.

I

I'm struggling to see everyone's negativity to ships going to China, surely there's more places in the world to see (be honest, how many times has the average Diamond and above cruiser visited Jamaica/Cozumel etc)

Coco Cay - 14

Cozumel- 14

Nassau - 17

St Maarten - 14

St Thomas - 13

I'm sorry you thought I was bashing China, I'd love to visit. I was just saying Oasis can go if we get a shiny new replacement in PC

Love to see new places, but if the ship debarks 10 minutes from my home, I'll go to Cozumel again

Why? they have a lot of ships to replace in the coming years. Splendour & Majesty leaving next year, and it will be a matter of time before the rest of the Vision Class follows!

The other thing is that RCL knows full well that if they let their pipeline get too empty, they will have trouble getting enough new tonnage fast enough to maintain their market share... the other companies will gladly take all the new ships the yards are capable of building, and RCL will come up empty-handed for a "long" time.

Coco Cay - 14

Cozumel- 14

Nassau - 17

St Maarten - 14

St Thomas - 13

I'm sorry you thought I was bashing China, I'd love to visit. I was just saying Oasis can go if we get a shiny new replacement in PC

Love to see new places, but if the ship debarks 10 minutes from my home, I'll go to Cozumel again

Oasis-class isn't suitable for China because the weather isn't consistently warm enough year-round for the plantings in Central Park. That's why you won't get an Oasis-class ship homeported year-round in Port Liberty, either.

Personally, I'd love to see a Quantum-class ship homeported in Galveston, but that's not likely for the same reason... Quantum is better suited to places with colder winters. An Oasis-class ship would be more appropriate to Galveston.

I'm gonna go on a limb and predict a fifth ship ordered sometime next year for a 2020 delivery date.

I think that's actually a pretty safe bet. ;-)

they will still need smaller ships to visit many of the smaller ports, especially in Mediterranean,

otherwise it will be

the same old ports over and over again,

for us, even going back to the same port a second time loses its interest.

although Europe cruises are more about ports than the ship and beach.

Maybe they will build some smaller modern ships for the smaller ports, eg eastern med

I can think of many ports, islands in Europe ships don't call at that would certainly appeal to us.

there are 100's of Greek islands and the ships only visit the same few time and time again.

Oasis-class isn't suitable for China because the weather isn't consistently warm enough year-round for the plantings in Central Park. That's why you won't get an Oasis-class ship homeported year-round in Port Liberty, either.

Personally, I'd love to see a Quantum-class ship homeported in Galveston, but that's not likely for the same reason... Quantum is better suited to places with colder winters. An Oasis-class ship would be more appropriate to Galveston.

I have my first cruise on Allure in Feb 2016. I'm not familiar with the original intent of the Oasis class ship, but I know that until this last year Oasis and Allure have been based year round in Florida. I'm wondering why we won't see more repositioning cruises with Oasis class ships? I'd love to do TA cruise on an Oasis class ship. Other that ports being able to accommodate the size, why doesn't RCI reposition Oasis class ships during the offseason?

A friend of mine in the travel industry tells me

I have my first cruise on Allure in Feb 2016. I'm not familiar with the original intent of the Oasis class ship, but I know that until this last year Oasis and Allure have been based year round in Florida. I'm wondering why we won't see more repositioning cruises with Oasis class ships? I'd love to do TA cruise on an Oasis class ship. Other that ports being able to accommodate the size, why doesn't RCI reposition Oasis class ships during the offseason?

A friend of mine in the travel industry tells me

I think with Allure in Europe next year, and Harmony in Europe next year, I wouldn't be surprised if an Oasis class gets based out of Barcelona/Rome through Summer from now on, which will mean plenty of TAs

I think with Allure in Europe next year, and Harmony in Europe next year, I wouldn't be surprised if an Oasis class gets based out of Barcelona/Rome through Summer from now on, which will mean plenty of TAs

I would be surprised if they wouldn't have an oasis class in Europe every summer.;)

The rumor mill has RCL going ahead with building Mein Schiff 7 and 8 at Meyer Turku, but it is unclear if TUI will take delivery or not. They are also not sure if they will unload the former Celebrity Mercury and Galaxy on CTRIP of China. They are now the Mein Schiff 1 and 2.

These new-builds fit RCI well as they have the same basic design and are even built with a form of Dynamic Dining where they have a 'Classic' venue on the bottom level and then 2 other complementary venues on the level above.

Those ships are due out in 2018 and 2019 and the option was taken without any details last September, so that is why there is speculation.

MADflyer, are you suggesting that these ships could possibly be a new class for RCI? I personally would love that. If Royal completely abandons any ship smaller than Voyager class, then we will most likely be moving on to other cruise lines. Don't get me wrong, I loved my cruises on Explorer and am really looking forward to my Oasis cruise in 2 weeks, but I love to have options and I really think Royal will lose out on a whole market if they stick with huge ships with limited ports.

MADflyer, are you suggesting that these ships could possibly be a new class for RCI? I personally would love that. If Royal completely abandons any ship smaller than Voyager class, then we will most likely be moving on to other cruise lines. Don't get me wrong, I loved my cruises on Explorer and am really looking forward to my Oasis cruise in 2 weeks, but I love to have options and I really think Royal will lose out on a whole market if they stick with huge ships with limited ports.

German travel press have actually made the suggestion due to the fact that even though RCL picked up the option for these 2 ships last September and did not release any details on the TUI ships after 'Mein Schiff 6'. They just took delivery from Meyer Turku of Mein Schiff 4 this week.

I am also hoping that RCI maintain a nice mix of various sized ships in the future. I think these 97000 ton Mein Schiff class ships would be an excellent choice.

I find all this discussion and speculation fascinating. RCL, specifically Celebrity is our cruise line of choice. RCI is great but we are DINKs so don't care for family oriented cruises and Celebrity suits us better. I think what RCL is doing across all its brands very interesting.

German travel press have actually made the suggestion due to the fact that even though RCL picked up the option for these 2 ships last September and did not release any details on the TUI ships after 'Mein Schiff 6'. They just took delivery from Meyer Turku of Mein Schiff 4 this week.

I am also hoping that RCI maintain a nice mix of various sized ships in the future. I think these 97000 ton Mein Schiff class ships would be an excellent choice.

I completely agree. Slightly larger than Radiance Class, but still with enough room to add some innovations that can give the "wow" factor.

Maybe it will be a class of 6 to fully replace the Vision class.

I'd love to see some sort of hybrid Oasis and Quantum class.

Something smaller, but with neighborhoods.

Maybe a Seaplex rather than a boardwalk, and a retractable roof where there are open areas so that they can open it to the sky on warmer days and close it on colder days.

Even the cruises from NY hit warmer weather eventually.

And during the Summer season from NY, it's warm all of the time.

Maybe more sea views over a hot dog stand and a Johny Rockets.

I think it can be done... :-)

• 5 months later...