Platinum members, your benefits are next...

Are any of the perks really that big a deal? I chose carnival because it gives me what i want at a price i want the perks are jut that perks i would not care if they all went away if the still got me the cruise i want at the price i want im good to go.

Oh, I understand.

With nearly 800 parties per year, attendance and observations at one or two does not make for a valid dataset.

I have never been to one that was not over crowded, noisy, and annoying due to over crowding, and from what I hear others have experienced the same so I assume it is common place. I won't miss the party to be honest, and if and when I make Platinum and the party is still in place, I might go because it just might be a better experience. And if they snatch away that perk just as I make Platinum, I will not lose sleep over it...

I cruise for the cruising experience and as long as I receive that for my vacation dollars, that is all that matters. People who think they will receive more recognition and perks on another line are free to go... my preference is for Carnival to keep the cruising experience as inexpensive as possible while maintaining the great service and cut out the things that really don't matter to me if they have to make cut backs...

Carnival already cut Platinum perks years ago, so it won't surprise me when it happens again. They took away the unlimited laundry and the free slot/poker tournament entry. That was one of the reasons I decided to cruise with RCI more. Crown and Anchor is more generous with perks.

I'm not angry with CCL for doing it, it's their program to run as they see fit. But at the same time, I'm going to go where I feel my loyalty is most valued.

I don't begrudge anyone either elliair. There are always plenty of people allowed to board an airplane before I am. I don't begrudge them that benefit or think any less of them because of their status. And I certainly don't wander around the boarding area moaning and groaning about the airline.

The thing is, everyone has the same opportunity as the next person. If I choose to fly SW I can enter their rewards program and earn miles and free flights. If I choose to stay in the Hilton, I can join their Hilton Honors program and get points for free night stays. Everyone has the same advantage - same with Carnival, Princess, etc. If these companies choose to change their programs, they are under no obligation to compensate for your loss of perks. We don't cruise for the perks, we cruise for the itinerary and for just being at sea. We give the chocolates to our cabin steward and will give away our gift unless it's one of those Tervis Tumblers.

Carnival needs to change their points system anyway. Rewards should be based on how much money you spend, not on how often you cruise. I'll bet there are a lot of Platinum and Diamonds who reached that status by paying for cheapo interiors, whereas there may be others who have sailed only half as much but have spent way more by booking balconies and suites.

I've never booked an inside cabin and never will. We prefer long cruises, you rack up days with longer cruises. Also, there's no way to prove that it was Platinums and Diamonds complaining. That just might be an excuse for Carnival to place the blame somewhere. Some Platinums and Diamonds racked up cruises by taking the 2 and 3 day cruises Carnival offered. This is why Carnival changed that policy to days cruised, not the number of cruises. I think that's fair.

... Also, there's no way to prove that it was Platinums and Diamonds complaining. That just might be an excuse for Carnival to place the blame somewhere.

I think that's fair.

Two things.

(a) Our understanding is that is what Carnival spokespeople have said. Who, what, where proving anything is really moot.

(b) I am guessing you live in or very near a port city, Yes?

Edited by eponym

The thing is, everyone has the same opportunity as the next person.

No, no, no. Simply not reality when it comes to comparing # of ports/cruises versus air transportation/airlines or vast #'s of hotels.

If it is as simple and straightforward as you say - I know of a safe inflatable dingy that transcends from California to Mexico weekly for a fraction of the price.

Edited by eponym

Carnival already cut Platinum perks years ago, so it won't surprise me when it happens again. They took away the unlimited laundry and the free slot/poker tournament entry. That was one of the reasons I decided to cruise with RCI more. Crown and Anchor is more generous with perks.

I'm not angry with CCL for doing it, it's their program to run as they see fit. But at the same time, I'm going to go where I feel my loyalty is most valued.

We were and still are disappointed when they took away free admission to BJ tourney as well as guaranteed dining times.

However 3 laundry bags each on a 7 day cruise is more than enough.

I have a friend who is a check in agent at the Port of Galveston. She said in her 3 day training that they make it very clear that Platinum and Diamonds are VERY important people. They make it clear that they are valued customers. I don't see Platinum benefits being taken away or reduced.

none of you people own carnival...if you are so distressed about what you don't get....go elsewhere...more lobster for me..buh-bye (I never cruise for the "benefits...)

How sad of Carnival. The continual cost-cutting moves every year. I can remember not that long ago when all it took to be invited to the past guest party was one previous cruise. Now I read all the platinum and diamond members applauding the new restrictions on the past guest party, saying it is overcrowded now.

I would encourage you to look at your list of benefits and compare it to the benefits for Gold and Red. There is a lot there that Carnival can modify and take away. And considering all the areas Carnival has cut from over the past 5 years or so, I would like that list looks awfully cushy right now.

This move by Carnival shows how much they appreciate the return business. It surely is not what it used to be. And to take away a benefit from Gold members that they have already earned, and probably utilized is nothing short of insulting.

Will just work toward Diamond and on & on.

none of you people own carnival...if you are so distressed about what you don't get....go elsewhere...more lobster for me..buh-bye (I never cruise for the "benefits...)

I'm not a majority share holder, but I own part of the company. Though I wonder why I'm even responding to a post that starts with 'none of you people...' FFS, just feeding the beast.

Yeah I'm an owner too ;) And I *still* don't cruise for the perks, even the shareholder OBC, but I certainly do use the benefits and have since becoming instant platinum we they started the program.

If my math is right, you have been on FIFTY cruises? ....Lucky you!!

How sad of Carnival. The continual cost-cutting moves every year. I can remember not that long ago when all it took to be invited to the past guest party was one previous cruise. Now I read all the platinum and diamond members applauding the new restrictions on the past guest party, saying it is overcrowded now.

I would encourage you to look at your list of benefits and compare it to the benefits for Gold and Red. There is a lot there that Carnival can modify and take away. And considering all the areas Carnival has cut from over the past 5 years or so, I would like that list looks awfully cushy right now.

This move by Carnival shows how much they appreciate the return business. It surely is not what it used to be. And to take away a benefit from Gold members that they have already earned, and probably utilized is nothing short of insulting.

Yawn!

As a shareholder, I have no problem with them keeping costs in line and keeping cruise fares at a very reasonable level. My cruises now cost less, in real dollars, than they did when I started cruising in 2001. Can people say the same about anything else? Costs rise. To continue to provide a very good vacation value, something has to give. A degree in economics isn't needed to understand these things! ;)

Oh, John Heald forgot to mention that Carnival is now permanently eliminating shareholder dividends in order to cut costs. The FUN part is the joke's now on you and Carnival can laugh all the way to the bank. ENJOY!

Is that a stretch? Of course it is, but it's essentially what you're agreeing with!

Edited by A2Mich

Every week I go to Walmart and they don't give me perks for continuing to shop with them on a weekly basis. But I still go back. The gas station on the corner doesn't give me any perks either but I continue to go back and fill up with them every week.

Excellent point! However, they also DIDN'T EVEN OFFER IT, let alone take it away once they enticed people with it. I personally am not concerned about the loss of a party, it's simply a matter of principles. Carnival changed the rules mid-game when they realized they were losing. Carnival is 10000% at fault for this. Had their pencil necked bean counters done accurate cost projections and anticipated the demand hitting at some point, they could have either budgeted their dollars differently, OR maybe not make any offers to loyalty members if they weren't sure they could deliver on it. Shame on Carnival for not doing their research. Imagine you're going to pick up your brand new car that you spent quite a bit of money on. Your salesman gave you a verbal statement that you were getting the cushy carpeted floor mats as part of the deal. So now you arrive at the dealership to pick up your new car....OOPS....no cushy carpeted floor mats for you - you;re getting the cheap paper ones that the quick lube uses because they can save money doing it this way.

Precisely wise, in October, we`re headin towards Jolly ole London for 5 days. We need a cruz break...Maybe we should all take an October (or any month) cruz break an let that lard butt & company know who`s really in charge...US (You an Me) & OUR $$$

BTW:

Hurricane Katrina

Carnival Ecstasy docked in New Orleans

Three of the Carnival cruise ships were chartered by the United States government for six months to serve as temporary housing in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Holiday was originally docked in Mobile, Alabama, and later Pascagoula, Mississippi, and Ecstasy and Sensation were docked at New Orleans, Louisiana. The six-month contract cost $236 million. The contract was widely criticized because the vessels were never fully utilized, and Carnival received more money than it would have earned by using the ships in their normal rotation.

Controversies

The company has reportedly been paying wages under $1.50 per hour to employees with low to nonexistent benefits such as holidays or minimal vacations. Monthly salaries of the high paid workers is around $1,300. Of course, the crew wages are supplemented by gratuities, and one former Carnival crew member cited that crew receive up to 95% of their income from tips. Employees report strenuous working conditions such as 14-hour shifts with no days off. As of October 2013, they are also revoking retirement benefits.

The company has reportedly been paying wages under $1.50 per hour to employees with low to nonexistent benefits such as holidays or minimal vacations. Monthly salaries of the high paid workers is around $1,300. Of course, the crew wages are supplemented by gratuities, and one former Carnival crew member cited that crew receive up to 95% of their income from tips. Employees report strenuous working conditions such as 14-hour shifts with no days off. As of October 2013, they are also revoking retirement benefits.

But it's all OK because it increases the bottom line and keeps the shareholders happy. Ya know, it's really pathetic that all this society has become is "all about the money." Sadly, being "all about the money" has also come at almost any means necessary. Long gone are the days of a company actually being HONEST with the consumer. Seems like it's screw the customer no matter how you can to make the almighty dollar. Capitalism may have started as a great idea, but has become something else entirely.

But it's all OK because it increases the bottom line and keeps the shareholders happy. Ya know, it's really pathetic that all this society has become is "all about the money." Sadly, being "all about the money" has also come at almost any means necessary. Long gone are the days of a company actually being HONEST with the consumer. Seems like it's screw the customer no matter how you can to make the almighty dollar. Capitalism may have started as a great idea, but has become something else entirely.

Your point is insipid, pointless and without any merit. We cruz and we all know that the staff is WAY underpaid, with poor or pathetic benefits. It is---what it is