Platinum members, your benefits are next...

Out...as in over and out. For Carnival. Oh, not forever, but I'll definitely be looking closer at Princess. I'm really looking forward to our Royal cruise, too. I want to see what all the fuss is about.

After one cruise on Royal, you have more perks than after 20+ days on Carnival, if that's important to you. You at least get priority check in and some on board discounts, as well as future cruise discounts.

Just so I understand you, without the perks you would cruise with another line?

? We evaluate many things, including any perks that are offered, before we decide to spend money.

I have two more cruises to go and I'm Diamond. I can't remember the last past guest party I went to. Platinum guests also lost perks. A few years ago Carnival took the unlimited laundry away from us. That was a nice perk. Counting my kids all five of us are platinum. The platinum gift I liked the most was the picture frames. I have a lot of them and still use them. We buy the embark picture on every cruise. Platinum use to also get free entry into the slot tournament, now we have to buy one to get a free one. Every level has lost perks on Carnival. I still cruise Carnival. Its still IMO the best bang for the buck.

How sad of Carnival. The continual cost-cutting moves every year. I can remember not that long ago when all it took to be invited to the past guest party was one previous cruise. Now I read all the platinum and diamond members applauding the new restrictions on the past guest party, saying it is overcrowded now.

I would encourage you to look at your list of benefits and compare it to the benefits for Gold and Red. There is a lot there that Carnival can modify and take away. And considering all the areas Carnival has cut from over the past 5 years or so, I would like that list looks awfully cushy right now.

This move by Carnival shows how much they appreciate the return business. It surely is not what it used to be. And to take away a benefit from Gold members that they have already earned, and probably utilized is nothing short of insulting.

You are right they could take something away from any color of the return cruiser list. I take this recent change as an elevation to the Platinum and Diamond Members. I think Carnival is saying, we value the P&D members so much, we are going to turn the Return Cruiser Party in to a special event for only P&D members, kind of like the special Diamond event. At the same time, give Gold members something to look forward to.

Will they take something away from P&D members, sure it can happen. No big deal I don't cruise for the perks, I cruise because it's a very inexpensive vacation that helps me relax. It is just another perk and reason to live in Florida (Carnival's Florida Resident Rate and a short drive to the port!.)

Same here, the only perk I care about is priority boarding.

I can not agree more. I like walking by all of the FTTH and Gold members. I give them my Royalty Wave. I will now use that wave as I walk into the party.

When you mentioned the Priority boarding you reminded me of last year's Oct Glory cruise. As we were leaving the lounge to board the ship on embarkation day, this woman and man were arguing with some attendant that they should board first since they Purchased FTTF. The guy was red faced and woman was screaming at the poor lady. They could not handle the fact that Platinum and Diamond board before them. As our line moved towards the embarkation point, everybody in line was laughing.

When we cruise on 7 days or more, the free laundry is the only perk we know we will use.

I'll bet there are a lot of Platinum and Diamonds who reached that status by paying for cheapo interiors

That is an interesting point of view. It made me go back and look at me 19cruises to see how many interiors were had. The final answer is: 5 of the cruises were interior, 2 were oceanview. Not bad for 97 days at sea.

Carnival is now permanently eliminating shareholder dividends in order to cut costs.

Anybody can get "shareholder dividends", just buy the stock. Also anybody can get the shareholder OBC if they own 100 shares or more of CCL. Even Gold members can get that credit. Well, at least for now.

On the OBC I am always anticipating that that will go away, but until then, give me my Florida Resident Rate, add on my CCL Shareholder OBC and Platinum perks and it is a fun inexpensive Cruise Vacation.

After one cruise on Royal, you have more perks than after 20+ days on Carnival, if that's important to you. You at least get priority check in and some on board discounts, as well as future cruise discounts.

Bribes are built into the Royal business model and that simply is not the case with Carnival. But like you say, if it is important to someone.

The thing is, everyone has the same opportunity as the next person. If I choose to fly SW I can enter their rewards program and earn miles and free flights. If I choose to stay in the Hilton, I can join their Hilton Honors program and get points for free night stays. Everyone has the same advantage - same with Carnival, Princess, etc. If these companies choose to change their programs, they are under no obligation to compensate for your loss of perks. We don't cruise for the perks, we cruise for the itinerary and for just being at sea. We give the chocolates to our cabin steward and will give away our gift unless it's one of those Tervis Tumblers.

I think the big difference between Cruise Perks and those for Hotels, Rental Cars and Airlines is the later are geared more towards the business traveler. The cost for flights and rooms generally does not come out of the business traveler's pocket so perks (particularly perks that compound as you get to higher levels) play a much bigger part in their booking decision. Another big difference between the two is that status has to be re-earned every year.

My point is that Carnival recognizes that these perks really don't play a big part in the booking process for most, so they really are given more or less as a "thank you". Program Perks for Hotels, Airlines, and rental cars all have a very decent shot at getting business travelers to alter their spending pattern, so comparisons between these programs may not make a lot of sense.

Edited by nealstuber

Priority check in after one cruise? Priority over only the people taking their first RCL cruise I suppose?

Maybe one day I'll try them, but they've never even been close to competitive from a pricing perspective for us. Carnival, HAL, or NCL primarily wins for us on the 200+ days at sea that we have with more than half being on Carnival where we started. 28 days last year, 14 on Carnival, 7 on MSC and 7 on NCL.

I think the big difference between Cruise Perks and those for Hotels, Rental Cars and Airlines is the later are geared more towards the business traveler. The cost for flights and rooms generally does not come out of the business traveler's pocket so perks (particularly perks that compound as you get to higher levels) play a much bigger part in their booking decision. Another big difference between the two is that status has to be re-earned every year.

My point is that Carnival recognizes that these perks really don't play a big part in the booking process for most, so they really are given more or less as a "thank you". Program Perks for Hotels, Airlines, and rental cars all have a very decent shot at getting business travelers to alter their spending pattern, so comparisons between these programs may not make a lot of sense.

I suggest reading this very recent article from the Wall Street Journal found here:

http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2015/04/30/carnival-strategy-chief-bets-that-big-data-will-optimize-prices/?mod=yahoo_hs

I suggest reading this very recent article from the Wall Street Journal found here:

http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2015/04/30/carnival-strategy-chief-bets-that-big-data-will-optimize-prices/?mod=yahoo_hs

Have you read and understood the entire article? Carnival is late to the party and at the end of the day, still have humans in the loop.

Have you read and understood the entire article? Carnival is late to the party and at the end of the day, still have humans in the loop.

Have you? Your rhetorical questions abound and are worthless contributions in my view.

How about specifically answering up to your allegations of bribery on other cruise brands.

That is NOT specific, as related to your allegations of bribery of/on another brand.

It is quite specific and costs shareholders quite a bit of money. Speaking of shareholders benefits, doesn't Royal have more restrictions on shareholder OBC comared with Carnival?

It is quite specific and costs shareholders quite a bit of money. Speaking of shareholders benefits, doesn't Royal have more restrictions on shareholder OBC comared with Carnival?

I'm off the Mr. Milestone train. Have a good life.

I agree with NCTribeFan, I also do not care about their perks. The only one that we find nice is early boarding but if they removed that so be it.

I'm not sure why GOLD members are getting excitied about the free drink and Appie. Have you ever been checked at the door for your GOLD card or invitation. We have being attending the party's for years and not once did anyone check to see if I was suppose to be there. So I say to all, "come on down", they won't check your status, you will get your free drinks and Appies and it will be business as usual.