Which cabin to pick?

Hi, we are on the Rhapsody sailing on Aug 23rd, doing a roundtrip from Rome. We are in GS 8508. When we booked it was the only one left. I checked again yesterday and now 8006 on the port side has also opened up. Between the two, which one would you pick? 8508 is starboard side, 8006 is port side and connects to the OS next door, is that an issue? Does it matter which side of the ship you are on when sailing in/out of Rome?

Can't really help you with the cabin. The Rhapsody sails in and out of Civitavecchia which is about an hour from Rome. I don't think it matters which side of the ship you are on for that.

Out of Rome (Civitaveccia), the port or starboard side of the ship makes no difference at all. If the only consideration is that connecting door, I'd choose not to have it.

We've only had two cabins with a connection door and have not had a problem. I don't know if it was luck or not, but will always avoid it if I can.

I LOVE Rome!!! Hope you are spending some time there. Have a great cruise (love those GS's too :))

Thanks yes, spending 3 days pre cruise in Rome. Love that city, my third time visiting it and can't get enough! OK, then I think we will hang on to 8508 for now. I had asked because I recall sailing out of Venice in 2012, everyone had recommended a port side cabin and we had a wonderful view of San Marco piazza on the sailaway, so that was a great choice. But I guess Civi being so far away from Rome, it doesn't make a difference here.

Also - just curious - why do people not like cabins with connecting doors? I've never had one, so no idea. Is is noise concerns? Or is the furniture arranged differently so as not to obstruct the door? Are they smaller? What gives?

Thanks yes, spending 3 days pre cruise in Rome. Love that city, my third time visiting it and can't get enough! OK, then I think we will hang on to 8508 for now. I had asked because I recall sailing out of Venice in 2012, everyone had recommended a port side cabin and we had a wonderful view of San Marco piazza on the sailaway, so that was a great choice. But I guess Civi being so far away from Rome, it doesn't make a difference here.

I think Venice is the only port I've sailed from, so far, that the location of a cabin is important.

I've been to Rome a few times too. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it!

Also - just curious - why do people not like cabins with connecting doors? I've never had one, so no idea. Is is noise concerns? Or is the furniture arranged differently so as not to obstruct the door? Are they smaller? What gives?

For us, we avoid connecting rooms because of the higher potential of sound from the connected stateroom.

For us, we avoid connecting rooms because of the higher potential of sound from the connected stateroom.

Ditto! also, depending on the ship and Category of stateroom, you may get a small loveseat/large easy chair intstead of a sofa/couch. I would choose the cabin that does NOT connect. Happy Cruising!:)