What's Worth Doing In Down Town Cozumel?

jtwanabe

I have always enjoyed my trips into town in Cozumel. There are some really neat restaurants with good food there, and before someone comes back and says beware of montezuma's revenge in Mexico....In 15 years of going there neither I nor my travel companions have ever gotten sick there. Go find some

good Mexican food (not at Senor Frog's or Pancho's places ) but go on Tripadvisor and look up some good recommended non chain ones. Sorry, I have forgotten the names of the ones I was at. The vendors at their stores are not as bad as some other places in the Caribbean and I find it is just best to walk on if you are not interested, and or just say no thanks. I love walking around in San Miguel.

My second last trip to Cozumel I went to an all inclusive beach place and it was awesome. Loved the swimming (beach was a little crowded) but the water was not. If you tip your drink server a dollar per drink, you will have non stop service the whole time you are there. Food was ok too. I know you asked about in town, but just thought I would add that if you decide not to go in town, there are many great all inclusive beach places in Cozumel where you can have a really fun day.

As others say though, do check out the port destination board for Caribbean and Cozumel. Have fun.

Mingle with the locals, if you want a Towel, T-shirt or Beer...

Actually, stay on the ship, nothing to see at this port unless you go on a tour.

I'm really looking forward to going to Cozumel...bummer there is nothing to do.

I'm really looking forward to going to Cozumel...bummer there is nothing to do.

I think I detect a note of sarcasm there, if so then you know not to buy into these types of statements. It is the same as those "I never get off the ship in Nassau or Jamaica" ones. They have nothing to offer, but need to spout their dislike. That does not help OP. There is plenty to do in Cozumel. Lots of info

on the ports of call boards under Caribbean and Cozumel.

I do also understand when someone has been there twenty times that sometimes they prefer to stay on board and have a quiet ship day. Have done that myself. But to diss the place does nothing to help OP with their question.

If I had listened to many on this board about Ocho Rios, I would have never seen anything of Jamaica. What I saw was albeit a small and tiny part of the island, but I am so glad I did do an excursion and saw how beautiful the place is. I have also spent lots of time in the Caribbean, so am used to the ways of the local people of some islands, so this may have helped me be prepared for some of the aggressive behaviors of locals.

I just get upset when people say stay on the ship to a person who has not yet been a place.

Edited by SMSACE6

Mingle with the locals, if you want a Towel, T-shirt or Beer...

Actually, stay on the ship, nothing to see at this port unless you go on a tour.

What? Have you ever left the port?

If you wanted to go into San Miguel, and walk around the main plaza there are lots of shops. Mostly the same touristy stuff, but some arts and other items downtown. Yes, the vendors want you to shop. No thank you and a smile is sufficient.

There are really good restaurants. Casa Denis is on the back corner of the plaza and the oldest restaurant on the island. They have authentic yucatecan dishes. La Choza is a few

Streets back. Great food. Many others to pick from.

You can take a cab over to the east side to visit the beaches and bars/restaurants at punta morena, or Rasta's or the highest point on the island at coconuts. (Or hop along that side to all of them including playa Bonita).

You can go to the southern point and visit the lighthouse. You can go to on of many beach clubs along the southern coast, some all inclusive, some not.

You can visit the ruins at San Gervaisio (sp?)

All of these things can be reached by a cab, no need for a formal tour.

You can go to a traditional steam lodge and do the Mayan ritual.

It's about a 2.3 mile walk along the water to get downtown if you like to walk in the heat.

You can take a ferry and walk the shops, restaurants and beaches of playa del Carmen if you have a long day in port. Don't buy a round trip pass though, buy each way as you go because there are 3 ferry companies now, you don't want to be stuck wanting to take the one you don't have the ticket for.

I wouldn't stay in port, and definitely not stay on the ship. But that is my opinion only. I enjoy Cozumel.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

For shopping and eating, first find Las Palmeras Restaurant near the Ferry terminal--great place to eat. Then walk back from the main blvd beside the restaurant and next to the open plaza toward a large yellow building on the east side of the plaza. When you see the 7-11 on the corner, you will know you are in the right place. 7-11 has the Mexican cokes that are really great tasting and then go into the mall across the street. There are lots of shops in there with lots of bargains to be had. Around the plaza there are great places to eat as well. Here's hoping you have a great day in San Miguel.

If you wanted to go into San Miguel, and walk around the main plaza there are lots of shops. Mostly the same touristy stuff, but some arts and other items downtown. Yes, the vendors want you to shop. No thank you and a smile is sufficient.

There are really good restaurants. Casa Denis is on the back corner of the plaza and the oldest restaurant on the island. They have authentic yucatecan dishes. La Choza is a few

You can take a cab over to the east side to visit the beaches and bars/restaurants at punta morena, or Rasta's or the highest point on the island at coconuts. (Or hop along that side to all of them including playa Bonita).

You can go to the southern point and visit the lighthouse. You can go to on of many beach clubs along the southern coast, some all inclusive, some not.

It's about a 2.3 mile walk along the water to get downtown if you like to walk in the heat.

You can take a ferry and walk the shops, restaurants and beaches of playa del Carmen if you have a long day in port. Don't buy a round trip pass though, buy each way as you go because there are 3 ferry companies now, you don't want to be stuck wanting to take the one you don't have the ticket for.

I wouldn't stay in port, and definitely not stay on the ship. But that is my opinion only. I enjoy Cozumel.

Now this...is good info!

Uh, clearly you didn't read their post, nor my post.... They asked about down town.... Let me quote their question again for you "What's Worth Doing In Down Town Cozumel?"

And I said basically what you said, you have to go out and see sights.... And yes, I have been past the port many times, thank for your concern...and understanding..

Edited by poison7fl

Eat and drink at Jeanie's on the Beach. It is a few blocks outside of downtown. The food is awesome and the drinks are a good price. Try the salsa verde enchiladas and the chile rellenos. This restaurant has great views of the ocean. It is also quieter than the restaurants right in downtown and the service is very good. I go here each time I am in Cozumel. :cool:

Eat and drink at Jeanie's on the Beach. It is a few blocks outside of downtown. The food is awesome and the drinks are a good price. Try the salsa verde enchiladas and the chile rellenos. This restaurant has great views of the ocean. It is also quieter than the restaurants right in downtown and the service is very good. I go here each time I am in Cozumel. :cool:

More good info...I will keep this in mind for my next visit to Cozumel. Thanks:)

Lots of good feedback here .... thanks to all.

I've been to Cozumel several times but only once

down town. I ate at some restaurant in the town

square. Ordered nachos. I have to admit I wasn't

sure at what end of the gastrointestinal process

this particular dish was. But the view was nice

and they had wireless.

I also went to the "authentic Cuban Cigar place"

La Casa del Habano Cigar Shop and I have

to admit I wasn't prepared for the price. $50 for

a small ring gauge cigar. Might as well smoke the

$50.00. :eek:

JT

Uh, clearly you didn't read their post, nor my post.... They asked about down town.... Let me quote their question again for you "What's Worth Doing In Down Town Cozumel?"

And I said basically what you said, you have to go out and see sights.... And yes, I have been past the port many times, thank for your concern...and understanding..

No, I read it and started of with what was good in San Miguel, and then for the benefit of the other poster that hadn't been, and seemed to be concerned (or sarcastic ;) ) I listed other various places around the island.

But actually the best thing downtown are the chocolate peanut butter margaritas at Wet Wendy's can't believe I forgot to mention those.

:)

Edited by BigRed93

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

JT :rolleyes:

We were in Cozumel on Thursday. We have been there many times and our favorite thing to do is rent a car and see the island at our own pace. Idk if I'd do it if I only planned to go downtown. The best part of the island, imo is the part the tourists rarely see...

We just got back from our day in Cozumel. We had been there before and did excursions. This time we took a cab ride in to town. We had a nice lunch at El Abuelo Recuerdo,, far end, back side of the market.

Fresh fish, fried.....so moist, fell off the bone. Hmmm wish I could go there for dinner.

I love San Miguel (downtown). We like to walk along the oceanfront street, stopping in at the shops until we get to the town square (which I understand is nearing the completion of a facelift). Around the town square there are street vendors, artists, sometimes musicians. You can veer off the main square down some of the adorable streets for some food and drinks. We loved Wet Wendy's too. VERY interesting flavor options for the tallest frozen margarita I've ever had. It's a safe, colorful little city. Love it.