Free UBP no Spanish VAT added to final bill

billyvegas

How could one guest get charged and not the other? Has to be more to it.
The difference is that one guest cruised in February, while the OP just returned from their cruise. NCL has apparently changed the way they collect VAT on the promotional UBP. I don't know if they were doing it wrong before, or if they are doing it wrong now, or if the rules have changed, but this is great news for Epic passengers while it lasts.

We are going on the Epic for Xmas and new year so I guess we'll find out then. It'd be good to hear from others that have been on epic and whether or not they got charged and whether or not they had free UBP.

Jo

The reason I posted this is because there has been a lot of discussion on this subject and this is what I found when I got my final bill.
Several other passengers on recent Epic cruises reported the same thing in this thread:

Epic - UBP - VAT?

Actually, the other posters seemed to say that the 10% Spanish VAT still appeared on their printed bar receipts, but nothing was actually charged to their accounts. I really wish NCL would rethink the way they implement the UBP because to me, signing the charge slip with the full price of the drink (plus tip, plus tax) explicitly authorizes NCL to charge that amount to my account, and I just have to cross my fingers each time that they won't actually do it. I don't understand why they can't produce a charge slip that accurately states what will really be charged, and I can agree to that by signing it.

Billyvegas, We are going on the Epic next week, so I'm also interested in other aspects of the cruise. Were the speciality restaurants hard to get in? Who are the legends ? And what entertainment did you have to replace blue man group? Did they offer a laundry special? Did you enjoy your cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 20YearsBetweenCruises

How could one guest get charged and not the other? Has to be more to it. The VAT is automated if it's a mandatory tariff, the cruise line would be on the hook, I bet they fix that quickly.

If this is how it is now implimented they FIXED the problem that we and others were having earlier in the year.

If you don't pay for the drink the should be no TAX. 10% of Zero is ZERO

what they were doing before was itemizing the drink grat and tax but forgetting to remove the tax when the charge was removed.

Edited by insidecabin

Billyvegas, We are going on the Epic next week, so I'm also interested in other aspects of the cruise. Were the speciality restaurants hard to get in? Who are the legends ? And what entertainment did you have to replace blue man group? Did they offer a laundry special? Did you enjoy your cruise?

I loved my Cruise first time on Norwegian, speciality Restaurants Le Bistro, Teppanyaki and Cagneys seemed to be booked up by the evening the others were showing good availability from 8pm. Maybe worth booking when you first get onboard. We ate in Shanghai's twice, it was busy but we got in both times OK. Never noticed any queues for the MDR's except for the first night. Legends were Rod stewart, Sting and Gloria Estefan. Burn the floor replaced BMG. There was a laundry special I can't remember what day as I didn't need it.