Should we upgrade to Lido...it's free!

AprilJ

BTW - i caught this upgrade checking fare viewer, each day like I learned here. My husband wonders why would they be offering upgrades so far out. I could have gone 8C to 8E for $10, but took 8D instead to not be by the elevators and no price increase. I chose 9246.

Edited by AprilJ

I just upgraded from main to lido, I don't normally care where location is and will book interior gty when available but I figured hey it's a free upgrade and $30 obc I'll give it a shot....sailing on the victory feb 2016 :)

1 con.....it may cost you more in the long run because after being on the lido once, you may always want to be there

You are so correct on that one! Every cruise I look at now I immediately go to Lido and it's always more expensive.

We were able to get a steal on a Lido balcony last September for $379pp and ended up having $80 OBC to go with it. I'll never find a room that cheap again!

We have a long wait until our June 2016 (1st ever) cruise, but I will be sure to write a review upon our return.

Yeah for your upgrade and bravo to your patience...good things a coming....:).

It wouldn't be good for me as I have gotten seasick in cabins that are far forward. I like being midship and between decks with cabins on them. I guess I am weird.

Maybe a good idea you posted this... for op to take ginger pills or a few seasickness remedies....just in case that is an issue...most do well IF AN ISSUE...with a little help but she perhaps.... does not know her sea legs. :)

Ok, I did it - went from Empress 8C to Lido 8D - same price and was able to keep my promotional $30 OBC.

I am super excited after reading all of your positive responses - thank you!! =)

You won't regret it! It's so convenient just to be able to leave your room and walk down the hall and out the door and grab some food or a drink or go for a swim.

I liked it for the fact that we could just walk back quickly to the cabin if we forgot something or use our own bathroom, etc.

Have a great cruise!

Maybe a good idea you posted this... for op to take ginger pills or a few seasickness remedies....just in case that is an issue...most do well IF AN ISSUE...with a little help but she perhaps.... does not know her sea legs. :)

I don't know my sea legs, at all, and I'm very worried about getting sick as I have never been on a ship, only a small boat on a lake, 2x and I was fine!!

I've seen the advice about ginger pills which I am for sure going to take over the weekend before and maybe some patches or whatever else is most highly recommended.

I have seen the comment "the more you pay the higher you sway" which makes me worry even more!?!?!

I don't know my sea legs, at all, and I'm very worried about getting sick as I have never been on a ship, only a small boat on a lake, 2x and I was fine!!

I've seen the advice about ginger pills which I am for sure going to take over the weekend before and maybe some patches or whatever else is most highly recommended.

I have seen the comment "the more you pay the higher you sway" which makes me worry even more!?!?!

I was like you..and can't even ride kiddie roller coasters...before my first cruise. My first cruise was in 1980...I have been on 7 or 8 over 30 plus years and hopefully not far away from going more often...(last two have been on Carnival) but had some real rocking conditions on older ships. I say you may be really surprised ...I had zero problems and had that lake experience and think it is a better test than you may think...

I would take the generic other drug everyone takes and/or that patch as backup and think the ginger pill idea is just great.

How far back is your cabin?? Remember these are fairly large ships and pretty darn stable..nothing like your boat on the lake when all get in...

If you are not in hurricane season...superb and better. But they do a good job of going around things. Yes that advice is true and very best is ship center inside lowest level..LOL..which I am no snob...have done...but my vote/inclination is you will be ok with meds as a backup...I have never done this....but think I will start taking...just in case and as my view frist balcony approaches....;)...Sarah

April....one more thing...be sure you are not under anything you do not want to hear....have not checked your cabin or ship plan at all...but that is worth a change fee...you don't want to be under the exercise jumping etc..a few chairs moving on deck may or may not bother you.....Sarah

[quote name='AprilJ']I don't know my sea legs, at all, and I'm very worried about getting sick as I have never been on a ship, only a small boat on a lake, 2x and I was fine!!

I have seen the comment "the more you pay the higher you sway" which makes me worry even more!?!?![/QUOTE]

April,

My daughter suffers badly from motion sickness, to the point where car rides are challenging unless she is in the front seat (or driving, she is 30 years old). She has cruised with us twice, and we usually book higher decks. She has never had any drowsiness or side effects from the medicine.

We rely on Meclizine to keep her motion sickness at bay. She uses the recommended dose on the packaging and never has a problem. She did try going without once to see what effect being on the ship had, we call that "the experiment gone wrong". She went right back to taking it and was fine within a short time.

The popular brand name product is "Bonine", but we have found that the generic Meclizine product is just as effective, and much less expensive.

BTW, congrats on the move, I think you will love it!

[quote name='AprilJ']Thank you for the info, is that an OTC or will I need a Rx?[/QUOTE]

It is OTC. We get it at any of our local drug stores or grocery with a pharmacy aisle. We haven't found any difference in the more expensive "Bonine" and the store brand with the same dose (25 mg) of "Meclizine".