Xel-Ha / Xcaret, Did You Get Your Money's Worth for the Time?

Smilefy

Cruise Critic Experts,

What was your experience at these parks?

I am trying to decide whether either of these 8 hour excursions is worth the time considering transportation. I have done the Rio Secreto excursion and it was amazing (and right next to both parks), but I remember the 1.5 hour ferry and 40 minute van ride combined plus 1 hour of shopping I hear you are forced to do and that does not seem like much time left over to explore the parks.

They seem appealing, but I don't want to be disappointed by an unrealistic expectation when I get there.

Thanks!

Since no one has replied I thought I would say I have been to Xel-ha and I really enjoyed it. My family loved it. We however didn't go while on a cruise so I cannot account for the time allotted. I would however go again myself even with limited time say like 4hrs or so would be worth the cost to me. They have a cave that my kids thought was really neat. Also I personally enjoyed snorkeling there and tube float is fun. Hope you have a great time whatever you decide to do!

Thank you for the reply. Good to know 4 hours is worth the time from someone who has been there.

Since no one has replied I thought I would say I have been to Xel-ha and I really enjoyed it. My family loved it. We however didn't go while on a cruise so I cannot account for the time allotted. I would however go again myself even with limited time say like 4hrs or so would be worth the cost to me. They have a cave that my kids thought was really neat. Also I personally enjoyed snorkeling there and tube float is fun. Hope you have a great time whatever you decide to do!

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Xcaret on our honeymoon so decided to return on our cruise with our son. It's a beautiful place! We had a really good time, but it is a LONG travel day. You do get enough time to do a lot, not everything obviously.

I'm glad we did it, but next time we'll just stay on the island.

Edited by TheGaDawgFan

We spent a day at XCaret while staying at the resort next door. I think I would have been frustrated to only have a few hours there, but it kind of depends on what you want to do there. It's somewhat a sprawling place and we spent a lot of time hiking from one place to another to be at a specific show or see a specific exhibit. And the signage left a lot to be desired at times, so there was some aimless wandering to get our bearings. If you want to actually see the jaguars, bring binoculars!! :)

Also be aware that there are a lot of activities that are add-ons which can really drive up the price. Personally, I wouldn't do it as a shore excursion from Cozumel, but I've already been there. :)

Here's a link to the map to give you some idea of what's there

xcaret map

We spent a day at XCaret while staying at the resort next door. I think I would have been frustrated to only have a few hours there, but it kind of depends on what you want to do there. It's somewhat a sprawling place and we spent a lot of time hiking from one place to another to be at a specific show or see a specific exhibit. And the signage left a lot to be desired at times, so there was some aimless wandering to get our bearings. If you want to actually see the jaguars, bring binoculars!! :)

Also be aware that there are a lot of activities that are add-ons which can really drive up the price. Personally, I wouldn't do it as a shore excursion from Cozumel, but I've already been there. :)

Here's a link to the map to give you some idea of what's there

xcaret map

I agree with everything Need a vacation said.

We also stayed at the resort next door and got a special offer on a two-day pass and had a great time. It was convenient being able to take our time and go back to the resort for lunch and a heat break!

I agree Xcaret is very sprawling. You spend a lot if time walking, with confusing signage. For a few hours ship excursion you would be really limited in what you could see and do. You would have to be really disciplined in your planning in order to not totally waste your time. (Just taking one of three river floats takes around 40 minutes.) Your timing would not allow you to see many of the scheduled "shows" in particular the evening spectacular which many feel justifies the entrance fee in itself. Not sure I agree with that statement, but just saying you would miss a big part of what Xcaret is all about.

It really depends on what you want to see or do and what you expect from your day. As stated many activities are add-ons so for a few hours off the ship, having to rush around I don't think the entrance fee would be worth it. Did we enjoy it? - yes, we certainly did. Would I do it from a cruise ship? - certainly not. YMMV.