Fantastic first cruise with NCL ( Norwegian Epic )

CC71

Just thought I'd post a few thoughts from our Western Med cruise aboard Norwegian Epic. We left her on sunday morning in Barcelona after a wonderful week of great food, drink and fabulous and engaging service.

Ultimate Beverage Package and Ultimate dining Package

We booked our cruise in February and received $200 onboard spend and the UBP as our choice promotions. This worked really well for us and made the cruise particularly good value for money as it meant most of our onboard spend was already taken care of. We opted to pre pay our daily service charges and also paid for the speciality dining package in advance as we like to take care of as much spending as we can ahead of time. We loved having the UBP and UDP, knowing that we could eat and drink what and where we wanted. My husband and I are not particularly big drinkers and certainly couldn't make paying for the UBP work for us but it was lovely having a beer or two with lunch, cocktails before dinner and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner etc.

I also have to commend NCL for the ease of using the UBP onboard, our bar/ drink receipts showed the drink cost plus 18% gratuity which we signed for - this was always taken off our account by the end of the vening leaving us with a zero charge. Our onboard account was always 100% accurate for both dining and beverage packages meaning using the packages was a breeze and completely stress free!

Dining

Cagney's was the standout restaurant for us and we ate there twice, the Filet Mignon was divine and so tender! We only tried the main dining room, for dinner, on the first night and we were underwhelmed with the service and atmosphere in here but we were also very tired having travelled from London on a 6.25 am flight that morning so that may have coloured our view somewhat ;)

We ate at Taste and O'Sheehan's for breakfast and lunch and the buffet/ Great Outdoors on a couple of occasions. The food was good in all venues for its type but we really enjoyed the attentive service at Breakfast in Taste.

Minisuite category MC

We had a mini suite on deck 10 and we were more than happy with our cabin. It was spotlessly clean, the space was fine for the two of us (plenty of storage) and the bathroom situation was not a problem for us. Our balcony was reasonably sized and had 3 chairs and 2 small tables on it. It was covered so was quite private too. Our cabin had the bath tub with shower over and we enjoyed having the option of a bath as well as shower. Special mention to our cabin steward, Brian, who was fabulous and always smiling and cheerful. We nominated him for as our 'Vacation Hero' as he was always so helpful to us.

Entertainment

We didn't manage to get to many shows as this cruise was booked as a very much needed break after an incredibly busy and stressful time at home and work, so after dinner we pretty much went to bed! Lame I know ... However, we loved Howl at the Moon, these guys are so talented and the show is great fun!

Ports and Final Thoughts

We loved the ports on this cruise but as we have done this route before with the exception of Naples and Palma we stayed on the ship in Cannes and Rome as we are back in Rome in July for a few days and we have been to Cannes previously. we bought day passes for the Mandara Spa for $45 each on the Rome port day, we really enjoyed our time in here, the heated tile loungers are blissful!

We really enjoyed the adults only area, Spice H2O, it was lovely sitting on the loungers here enjoying peace and quiet and great bar service too ;)

Well we enjoyed our cruise so much that we bought a Future Cruise Credit onboard and we are hoping to put this towards the deposit on a Haven Spa Suite - probably on Norwegian Escape but not sailing until 2017 unfortunately as we have cruises booked already for next year with Celebrity and Royal Carribean and I can't justify booking anything sooner :D

Even thought I'm an NCL newbie, I'll be glad to help in anyway I can if anyone has any questions.

Edited by CC71

Hello!

My husband and I are both in our 20s and have booked the Epicnfor the same Med. Cruise. We have never been to Europe before and are nervous/excited. I have questions about flying to Barcelona? Tips for what hotel and transfer between airport, hotel, and port? We don't want to look completely losybover there. Also on ports...is it better to book a tour or explore on our own? Never being over seas, anything and everything is interesting and we are on a budget! Any help and or tips would be greatly appreciated!

thanks for this review

we are on the epic in jan and it is nice to read a positive review :)

can I ask just one question, do you know what day the laundry special was offered (i.e I'm trying to figure out how many days from boarding is it 2-3 days?)

From memory (I can't find it any of my dailies that I brought home) I think the laundry special was on Thursday (day 5) with your laundry being returned on Saturday. We didn't take advantage as we were only onboard for a week.

From memory (I can't find it any of my dailies that I brought home) I think the laundry special was on Thursday (day 5) with your laundry being returned on Saturday. We didn't take advantage as we were only onboard for a week.

thank you we're on the longer canary island cruise for 10 days so if it is day 5 that will be great, my son goes through a lots of clothes and I really would like to keep packing light'ish ;)

Edited by Jofishes

I was also on this cruise as a Norwegian Virgin not knowing what to expect and also had a great time, I agree with the service in the Manhattan on day 1 terrible, but everywhere else we ate was excellent except for our steaks in Le Bistro which tasted of burnt oil. We had a large balcony cabin with shower one side toilet the other and sink in the room (didn't like that set up) would sail on Epic again but in a different cabin type. UBP worked great we also had the $200 obc. Everyone is complaining about a few small charges being added here and there but no one is complaining about the excellent deals that they are offering UBP UDP OBC etc. For £649pp I was well impressed:D. Looking at booking breakaway to Bermuda next year. I am now a Norwegian.

Hello!

My husband and I are both in our 20s and have booked the Epicnfor the same Med. Cruise. We have never been to Europe before and are nervous/excited. I have questions about flying to Barcelona? Tips for what hotel and transfer between airport, hotel, and port? We don't want to look completely losybover there. Also on ports...is it better to book a tour or explore on our own? Never being over seas, anything and everything is interesting and we are on a budget! Any help and or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi

We were in Barcelona earlier this year for the second time. The taxis have a fixed price from the airport to the port, I'm pretty sure it was 39 euros. I love the Gothic quarter & would recommend looking for a hotel in that area. I've loved both the ones we stayed in. The bars & cafes are lovely, love the tapas & everyone has been friendly & helpful. Beware of bars on La Ramblas that don't list prices for drinks, they are total tourist traps. We got caught with 20 euros for a glass of beer! I love Barcelona & we're going back in October :) Hope you have a fantastic holiday :D

We are sailing the Epic in August from Rome. Would it be possible for you to post the dailies? Please....

Thanks !

:)

If I can work out how to post them I will but it will be tomorrow before I can get around to it ;)

Also, what was your experience about take-out food onboard? Did you see people taking the food out of the buffet and taking them elsewhere (their cabins)? Were they being stopped?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!

:)

Hi we are also sailing on the Epic on a back to back this summer from Barcelona.

I was wondering if you have to make reservations for Howl at the Moon? The only entertainment that is bookable is Burn the Floor and Legends.

Any suggestions on what to do in Cannes and Palma?

thanks

Hi we are also sailing on the Epic on a back to back this summer from Barcelona.

The only entertainment that is bookable is Burn the Floor and Legends

We are also sailing the Epic this Summer from Barcelona and the only entertainment options that I can see on My NCL are Cirque Dreams and Legends........no Burn the Floor appears on my options! We are less than 90 days out now, so not sure if I'm missing something?

when I was in Cannes I took the tourist train, it was fun. for 10 euro you drive through the most important spots, there is a headphone in several languages you can use.

Palma is a nice place to have lunch and to shop! you can also go to the beach if you like to.