Need verification- Denali shuttle vs tour bus

kkbrig

We are prebooked for the NHT and we are going to change that. After reading much on here, I would like to change to the Eielson shuttle, getting a refund from Princess for the NHT. My parents are nervous about doing the shuttle bus vs doing the TWT bus. I think the things they are worried about are bathrooms on the buses and overall comfort. It is my impression, but I may be wrong, that both the shuttle and tour buses do NOT have bathrooms but take bathroom breaks every 90 minutes. I also am under the impression that comfort wise, these are similar. The differences that I've read are the camera and video screen that is in the tour bus but NOT the shuttle bus, and the tour bus drivers definitely narrate the whole trip whereas the shuttle bus drivers usually do (but sometimes not so much). Oh, and the shuttles you can get on and off. I know that the shuttle buses look like old school buses. Are the tour buses the same? Do I have all of this right?

Thanks!

the bathrooms are the SAME, "outhouses", stops are about every 90 minutes. there are NO bathrooms on any Denali park buses. Eielson- does have running water and flush toilets- a big plus for some. :)

you have correct information-

HOWEVER- with shuttle buses- YOU have to make additional effort and get yourself to the pick up location at the WAC. The tour buses pick up at the lodges.

The buses are similar. Do NOT expect any touring buses. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Right- I meant to mention that part- shuttle buses- I get myself to and from WAC from hotel. I provide my own food. Tour buses- they get me at hotel and provide a boxed lunch.

I think the parents were thinking the tour buses were more like the chartered variety while the shuttle ones were more the school bus variety. I thought they were pretty similar, but wanted to verify.

Thanks for that help!

Right- I meant to mention that part- shuttle buses- I get myself to and from WAC from hotel. I provide my own food. Tour buses- they get me at hotel and provide a boxed lunch.

I think the parents were thinking the tour buses were more like the chartered variety while the shuttle ones were more the school bus variety. I thought they were pretty similar, but wanted to verify.

Thanks for that help!

From the Princess Denali Lodge site:

We provide shuttle service hourly from 7 am to 7 pm between the lodge and the Denali National Park Visitors Center, the Wilderness Access Center and Horseshoe Lake for $5 roundtrip per person.

Budget Queen has also mentioned that box lunches are available from the lodge, a 24 hr Subway is close by, and sandwiches etc are available at the WAC.

Edited by Alaskanb

I called the Princess Lodge today and she told me that they have shuttles from 7am- 7pm for free, and $5 at other times. I don't know if this is what is correct, but it's what they said!!

One more thing I just thought of, as I'm booking my Eielson shuttle- If I did catch that 7am shuttle from Princess lodge to WAC, what is the earliest time that you would book a Denali Eielson shuttle? I currently have the choice of 7:30 (which I thought was probably cutting it close) or 9am or later. I guess what I really mean is, if we are booked on a 9am Eielson shuttle, when should we plan to leave the Princess Lodge?

I called the Princess Lodge today and she told me that they have shuttles from 7am- 7pm for free, and $5 at other times. I don't know if this is what is correct, but it's what they said!!

One more thing I just thought of, as I'm booking my Eielson shuttle- If I did catch that 7am shuttle from Princess lodge to WAC, what is the earliest time that you would book a Denali Eielson shuttle? I currently have the choice of 7:30 (which I thought was probably cutting it close) or 9am or later. I guess what I really mean is, if we are booked on a 9am Eielson shuttle, when should we plan to leave the Princess Lodge?

If you don't care where you sit on the bus, you could make the 7:30a shuttle taking the 7am lodge shuttle. Ideal would be if you got there the day before and picked up your tickets.

Otherwise, an hour window is better for those maybe more unfamiliar needing some leeway.

Since there are 4 of you I'd suggest getting there early so that you can get seats on both sides of the aisle. next to each other. That way you're not leaning over strangers when wildlife is on the opposite of the bus.

Edited by mapleleaves

I know that the shuttle buses look like old school buses. Are the tour buses the same? Do I have all of this right?

The "old school buses" are the only buses allowed in the park. So regardless of whether you're on a tour or just using the shuttle service, the type of vehicle will be the same.

I remembered that the photojournal from MVPinBoynton had photos of the shuttle bus (inside and out), a restroom stop, as well lots of photos from the bus trip and the Princess Lodge.

http://www.thepreismans.com/alaska_island_14_page4.htm

p.s. don't make their mistake and go to the wrong park location for the shuttle.

I remembered that the photojournal from MVPinBoynton had photos of the shuttle bus (inside and out), a restroom stop, as well lots of photos from the bus trip and the Princess Lodge.

http://www.thepreismans.com/alaska_island_14_page4.htm

p.s. don't make their mistake and go to the wrong park location for the shuttle.

Thank you so much for posting this --it clarified a lot.