Anything in Port Canaveral within walking distance?

DaveNetMan

Our next cruise will have a stop on Port Canaveral, FL. Last time we were there, we hadn't booked any tours, and wanted to just get off the ship and walk around, like we often do in foreign ports. But we couldn't find ANYTHING to do or go within walking distance of the ship. Since we're going again, thought I'd ask, in case we missed something. Is there anywhere within walking distance to go if you don't have a tour booked?

Our next cruise will have a stop on Port Canaveral, FL. Last time we were there, we hadn't booked any tours, and wanted to just get off the ship and walk around, like we often do in foreign ports. But we couldn't find ANYTHING to do or go within walking distance of the ship. Since we're going again, thought I'd ask, in case we missed something. Is there anywhere within walking distance to go if you don't have a tour booked?

There are restaurants within walking distance if you are berthed on the south (terminal 1) side.

yep, it depends on where they park you.

If they put you on the north side then there is nothing you can walk to. I actually saw security stop someone trying to walk out of the Disney terminal area last week ... problem is there are no sidewalks over the draw bridges that carry you to the north side (aka the west basin). There is a small Air Force / Space museum by the gate into the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, but I've never been there.

Many visiting ships are now being put at new terminal 1, on others at the 'old' terminal 2/3

canav%20port%20map_zps2tubmty6.jpg

T-1 is right next to Grills and heading west you'll find a few shops, other eateries (Fishlips) and the observation tower. The SEGWAY tour guy has relocated to this area and some of the party fishing and tour boats are found here. To the east is Jetty Park .. an easier walk from CT2/3.

http://www.jettyparkbeachandcampground.com/

There are some facilities and rentals here, and once on the beach you could walk all the way to Sebastian Inlet ... 38 miles or so to the south . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ