Would you sail the Sunshine

erby2283

I sailed on it last December. I would do it again. I didn't find any buckets or any smells or any crowds. Seemed like plenty of room. The only thing I didn't like was the layout when getting from one end of the ship to the other.

Sailed on her for spring break and enjoyed myself. There definitely are some crowded areas, but you just learned to go around them or avoid them. For example, near Guy's there was a narrow walkway toward the back, but we found it easy to just go around by the tables along the sides and had no delays. We did anytime dining and had no wait for a table of two, no matter when we went. The sign in was near the taste bar and I was disappointed there was never enough wait time to enjoy the taste bar offerings!

Sometimes I am really impressed by the sensible views, pro and con, expressed on this board. Good advice all around

We sail on the sunshine is a few weeks. I never research ships, other than how many stars they have on an un named web travel site. Below 3 1/2 and I worry. above five and it is too pricey for me.

but due to the really good reviews on the Sunshine and the really bad ones......I read about a hundred reviews of the Sunshine. I read CABIN Reviews on Cruise Critic.

I googled for photos of the cabin we booked. went to other cruise sites for reviews

I would recommend anyone do that. And put out questions on this board. Someone has the answer to what you need to know and most willingly share.

BEST TIP I have............the 4J cabins on the Lobby deck are new. that means more space in cabins. In the 4J cabins that face the Promenade. Walkway................they have 220 sq ft. a sofa. New shower. a minibar ( fridge) There are three reviews on CC. Read them. the price for what you get.............a window. basically an ocean view sold as an inside.

OV CABINS on Promenade Deck. Deck Five. Go to Cruise Critic and read those reviews. Those are New cabins. Everyone loved them. there are a few new cabins scattered over the ship but those were the ones I googled and read about .

IT seemed to me.............there was a very close relationship to how much folks enjoyed their cruise as to how much they liked their cabin. Having space. things that worked. right.

I am looking forward to it. AND look into ATD. They do it differently. We are doing same time dining for this cruise for that reason.

Happy Sails.

Nice post!

I did alot of research on the Sunshine before we decided to book her. There was only 3 places I was interested in staying: deck 3 and the 4Js, deck 5 aft cabins, or the scenic ocean views on the Lido deck.

I hope to benefit from some of the many useful reviews I've read. With all the eating spots, the water park, leaving from Port Canaveral (our preference when sailing from Florida), and a great Southern itinerary, it wasn't hard to decide. We booked nearly a year in advance, and very much looking forward to the entire trip including pre cruise time in Orlando.

I hope you enjoy your trip as well. Please report back!

I sailed on the Sunshine in Feb, and loved it. I've been on 9 carnival cruises and found it actually less crowed in certain area, especially the buffet area set up....much better than other ships. I had an extended aft on deck 5, a new add on, and it was great. My parents and kids had an interior on deck 8 and those rooms looked fine as well, with larger than normal showers. My 10y olds also stated it was their favorite ship! I never went to the comedy club so I can't comment on that space, and although the main theater was smaller it was fine. There was a lot of inside space that people took advantage of, and we always found a lounger outside. We however do not use the ships pool, and it was small, and we don't need feel the need to watch the outside the activity/contests ect so anywhere will do!

Thank you all so much for your replies. It helped me make my decision.

See, I had booked an RCI cruise that I thought just couldn't be beat. A D3 balcony, including insurance, fees (taxes were waived due to a special they had) and it was a great Southern Itinerary; all for $1541! Then Southwest came out with airfare today and with the return flight being so close to Christmas (and being San Juan), it was going to cost almost as much as the cruise for airfare! Due to extenuating circumstances, I need to book Southwest so I can change/can flights.

But my boyfriend had this awesome deal under his VIFP # for the 10-day journey cruise. Leaves San Juan 12/9 and ends in Port Canaveral and also visits some great southern ports like St. Croix, Antigua, Dominica, Martinique, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. The best part...it cost less than $1600! For a 10 day cruise for 2 in a balcony! Then I moved on to airfare. Booked 2 one-way tickets for $287 total per person!

Now I need to need to purchase my travel insurance :)

So thank you all so much! Maybe it should have been a no brainer based on price but I am super excited now. Currently Gold and racking up more with a 10-dayer. :)

Sailed her twice including the inaugural New Orleans cruise. Both were at capacity. As others mentioned the over crowding is over rated. It was a little crowded on sea days but not any more than my other cruises. The Serenity deck is 2nd to none. She's a beautiful ship with great service and one of the best CD's. So yes' date=' I'd sail her again in a heartbeat. Enjoy your trip![/quote']

Thank You!! :D I'm taking my BF on her next year and since it'll be his 1st cruise (so I want it to be perfect or close to it so he'll want to go again), I was a bit nervous after reading so much (both here on CC and other travel sites) about overcrowding, buckets of water everywhere because the celings drip, foul smells, etc. :eek: One question, is the dining situation as messed up and unorganized as I've read? I've read that you have to go to one place first, then wait somewhere, then go to the MDR. :confused: That just doesn't make sense at all and it way different than all my other cruises. We have late dining (8:15 I think) if that makes a difference. We do have one of the new cabins (one of the aft balconies on Deck 5) which seems to help the enjoyment factor (from what I've read on this thread).

I'm pretty laid back and will take things as they come but the number of negative reviews was scaring me (a lot). I was worried that I'd made a bad choice and was thinking of switching to a different ship and itinerary (probably the Breeze, she's my favourite) but after reading your post (and this thread in general), I feel a whole lot better and am excited to sail on Sunshine!! :D

Not me! Even before the negative reviews started coming in, taking an older ship and cramming more cabins in it never sounded good to me. That being said, if the circumstances dictated that the ship was best choice at the time or places I wanted to sail, I'd go and be fine with it. I just wouldn't seek out this ship as one to go on.

There are so many other ships to choose from, I would pass, knowing how bad this ship was when it was the Destiny. Adding so much stuff as some kind of prototype, so many additional cabins, a chopped up show lounge that was at capacity before removing a level, losing a pool, and losing deck space on an already lack of deck space just seals my deal. A serenity deck that faces a jumbotron is as much poor planning at putting a burger joint on the smoking side of a ship, and then back peddle and have to remove smoking from the entire deck to make it work.

However, if the choice was to make a trio on an itinerary that was special that had an extremely good price point, I might be swayed. If it were my one and only cruise ever, never.

I will write a review when we get back. And this time, I might try my hand at taking some photos to put with it.

the photos I have seen on this ship are beautiful. The set up in the Lido Buffet, as mentioned by some on this thread, seems to be well organized. the salad bar is NOT before the Entrees anymore. Separate sections.

Several people in reviews I read mentioned "The Havana Bar", which is apparently in the back section of the Lido buffet. It is a place to find a seat on crowded sea days, and is open seating for breakfast. It serves lunch........I think. Cuban Sandwiches and such. They make omelets there in the morning, I believe. ( all of those reviews sort of run together. I should have taken notes)

Others also mentioned the Taste Bar. Which is on another deck, but serves eggs, toast, bacon, cereal, etc and was said to never be crowded even on Sea Days.

If I had any time dining, I would check into how that is done on the Sunshine,. It is different from other ships. . As in you have to go to Deck Five to get a table. But when your table is ready, you have to go to Deck 3. And if you not very mobile, which is an issue with me, not in a wheelchair or on crutches, but stairs can be an issue, ), it might be a factor in requesting a set time, as we did. My daughter and family..........not even a consideration to them.....they can take two flights of stairs in a jiffy. So...you might want to check on that if you have any mobility problems, even small ones. elevators on any ship at dinner time are slow and crowded. Everyone heading the same place at the same time..or sort of.

Shows.........most like them. One a British one. One a rock and roll one. Don't remember the third one.

Well, we are all going to find out...............I suspect that ..thanks to the reviews and the advice of those who have already cruised the Sunshine.........We will have a better scope of what to do and when to do it.

We don't use the pool or lay out. We live in Florida and wear sun screen to the Grocery store. So nothing I found on that, other than the Upper decks where the pool was not.....had more quiet and more chairs. And the Movie on the big screen and Pop corn. .that was a hit .

Happy Sails to ALL of us! And what fun to be on a ship on the Fourth of July and get a really good hot dog and some patriotic songs. For old times sake.

Edited by AmberTeka

if it means saving a few hundred I would definitely book Sunshine!

The problem with that is that cheap cruises attract cheap cruisers. The good thing is I don't think the cruise is closed looped. If it were, they would try to fill the ship with locals.

There are so many other ships to choose from, I would pass, knowing how bad this ship was when it was the Destiny. Adding so much stuff as some kind of prototype, so many additional cabins, a chopped up show lounge that was at capacity before removing a level, losing a pool, and losing deck space on an already lack of deck space just seals my deal. A serenity deck that faces a jumbotron is as much poor planning at putting a burger joint on the smoking side of a ship, and then back peddle and have to remove smoking from the entire deck to make it work.

However, if the choice was to make a trio on an itinerary that was special that had an extremely good price point, I might be swayed. If it were my one and only cruise ever, never.

When did you sail the Sunshine?

The problem with that is that cheap cruises attract cheap cruisers. The good thing is I don't think the cruise is closed looped. If it were, they would try to fill the ship with locals.

Never said it was a cheap cruise. I just thought it was airfare savings :o

I continue to read comments about difficult getting from one end of the ship to the other.

Is this not the case with EVERY ship class Carnival has except Spirit class?

There's a galley blocking at last one deck (Fantasy class) and usually two.

Deck plans are readily available. People have explained here over and over and over how to navigate bow to stern. All it takes is a tiny bit of thinking about where you are when you start out and where you want to go!

As for the cabins, I'm not paying more for a newer cabin. I sail solo and need to sail in the least expensive cabin I can get. Since the only time I spend in there is pretty much just sleeping, showering, and changing clothes, it really makes absolutely no difference to me. I'm much more concerned with being on Riviera or on a deck between two other passenger decks so I won't have late-night noise. I need my sleep! ;)

I continue to read comments about difficult getting from one end of the ship to the other.

)

I've also run into this on other ships on other cruise lines, too. It's no big deal once you get used to the layout.

The Havana Bar is a great place to find lunch-time seating. Not so great to have one of the staterooms directly under! I made the mistake of booking an aft-facing room directly below. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, well into the wee hours. I think they moved the speakers after the first night, or turned the volume down a bit, because it did get somewhat better. Apparently, the joint is jumpin' at night!

Awesome...if you're a night owl!

We sailed her within the first couple of months of the transition from Destiny. If you remember, there were issues early on of things not being finished and stuff going wrong. There were still some minor issues - the odd bucket catching drips from leaking pipes are what sticks in my mind. However, we had a wonderful cruise and would sail her again (albeit one deck down :rolleyes:)

Thank you all so much for your replies. It helped me make my decision.

See, I had booked an RCI cruise that I thought just couldn't be beat. A D3 balcony, including insurance, fees (taxes were waived due to a special they had) and it was a great Southern Itinerary; all for $1541! Then Southwest came out with airfare today and with the return flight being so close to Christmas (and being San Juan), it was going to cost almost as much as the cruise for airfare! Due to extenuating circumstances, I need to book Southwest so I can change/can flights.

But my boyfriend had this awesome deal under his VIFP # for the 10-day journey cruise. Leaves San Juan 12/9 and ends in Port Canaveral and also visits some great southern ports like St. Croix, Antigua, Dominica, Martinique, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. The best part...it cost less than $1600! For a 10 day cruise for 2 in a balcony! Then I moved on to airfare. Booked 2 one-way tickets for $287 total per person!

Now I need to need to purchase my travel insurance :)

So thank you all so much! Maybe it should have been a no brainer based on price but I am super excited now. Currently Gold and racking up more with a 10-dayer. :)

We are looking at the exact same cruise as my wife has that VIFP offer as well.

Flight from Toronto - San Juan and then back from Orlando aren't too cheap though. At about $1500 for 4 of us.

Will check Southwest - was waiting for them to open their rates for Dec and try from Buffalo instead...

I really would prefer the 12/9 sailing so I could fly down to San Juan a couple of days early. I absolutely love it there (have done 1-way repo from SJ-Miami on Conquest and Splendor the past two Novembers).

But that didn't have any new ports for me. At least I get Tortola on the 11-night sailing (and one additional night). And, well, since we arrive in San Juan on Wednesday, I think I should probably just stay a couple of nights to, you know, recuperate from having 8 ports (7 in a row; sea days on #1 and #3). ;)

It's cheaper than my 7-nights to Bermuda. The intention was to cancel that one. Even adding 2 1-way airfares, it should still be less. Except I may keep the Bermuda cruise, too. :o

I can sail to Bermuda any summer. Maybe not on Carnival, but Bermuda isn't a one-time itinerary, so my budget may dictate that I cancel that one.

I originally booked a 1A porthole cabin. I've had one on Glory and have one booked on Splendor to Bermuda. But then I realized that with this VIFP offer, a "regular" inside was the same price so I moved. I'm perfectly happy on Riviera midship. I take the stairs the entire cruise to help offset caloric consumption. And it's quiet down there. No need to worry now that the theatre/disco might generate thumping bass noises at night. And won't have to worry about the crashing waves against the hull like I experienced on Glory.

Oh, and, yes, I'm a "cheap cruiser." If it means sailing 3-4 times a year rather than once or twice, you bet!

And heaven forbid they sell cabins to "locals." :rolleyes:

There's a galley blocking at last one deck (Fantasy class) and usually two.

Deck plans are readily available. People have explained here over and over and over how to navigate bow to stern. All it takes is a tiny bit of thinking about where you are when you start out and where you want to go!

As for the cabins, I'm not paying more for a newer cabin. I sail solo and need to sail in the least expensive cabin I can get. Since the only time I spend in there is pretty much just sleeping, showering, and changing clothes, it really makes absolutely no difference to me. I'm much more concerned with being on Riviera or on a deck between two other passenger decks so I won't have late-night noise. I need my sleep! ;)

Any complaint or railing against the layout or how to navigate from one place or the other is of zero significance to me. It took us a day or two to find our way on every ship. I think it's part of the experience. And yes deck plans are readily available everywhere. Not to mention they hand you one when you check in.

I've read that you have to go to one place first, then wait somewhere, then go to the MDR. :confused: That just doesn't make sense at all and it way different than all my other cruises. We have late dining (8:15 I think) if that makes a difference. :D

What you describe applies only to Anytime Dining. Fixed dining (Early or Late) you go directly to your assigned dining room at the 6 or 8:15 time. Enjoy!

Even adding 2 1-way airfares, it should still be less. Except I may keep the Bermuda cruise, too. :o

It has to be! We are driving from Charlotte to Raleigh b/c Southwest offers way better flights and is always cheaper to fly from there. Our one way flights totaled $293.50 each (with early bird on each flight).

We are looking at the exact same cruise as my wife has that VIFP offer as well.

Flight from Toronto - San Juan and then back from Orlando aren't too cheap though. At about $1500 for 4 of us.

Will check Southwest - was waiting for them to open their rates for Dec and try from Buffalo instead...

Just checked Southwest for you from Buffalo to San Juan and then back to Buffalo from Orlando - not much cheaper than Toronto! Buf to SJU - $764 for 4 ($191 each) and $716 ($179 each) from Orlando to Buffalo. :eek:

Now I remember why I stay childless. :D

Yes, I would sail "Sunshine" again, but it would be my LAST CHOICE of all the Carnival ships. Just too many negative aspects for me, as I actually sail mostly for the entertainment, and they've managed to screw that up pretty good. ;) Still, any cruise, is better than no cruise at all. :D

"SKY"