Cancel and rebook a sold out category?

Our cabin category for next year's cruise is sold out. If NCL offers a better promotion between now and then (ours isn't that great..UDP, money towards NCL's crazy expensive airfare that we won't use, and some OBC)...... how could we get the new promotion without knowing what the cabin price will cost?

Will they sometimes just let you have the new promo or do I have to call them to see what the price will be? Right now, it only says sold out.

I'm hoping for OBC, UDP, & UBP some time in the next year. :eek:

Our cabin category for next year's cruise is sold out. If NCL offers a better promotion between now and then (ours isn't that great..UDP, money towards NCL's crazy expensive airfare that we won't use, and some OBC)...... how could we get the new promotion without knowing what the cabin price will cost?

Will they sometimes just let you have the new promo or do I have to call them to see what the price will be? Right now, it only says sold out.

and keep the same cabin? You can't. You can cancel and rebook anytime before final payment for whatever category you want. Obviously if the category is sold out, and if you want to keep your specific cabin, you wouldn't do that ...

There's nothing to say that your category won't open up again sometime during the next year as people cancel or upgrade. Keep an eye on it and if you see it open up again, and a new promo comes up, then give them a call and see what they will do for you.

We really want to keep our cabin, definitely no interest in changing that. I just wanted to know in the back of my mind if we could get any new promos that are more useful than our current ones.

Sounds like I'm better off, for now, just letting it ride. Thank you.

It's sold out, I've looked from home and work.

Edited by Kingofwylietx

Sounds like I'm better off, for now, just letting it ride. Thank you.

It's sold out, I've looked from home and work.

We were able to change our booking and change our deal/inclusions and we kept the same cabin. My PCC did the whole thing with no change in location, but I did lose the extra points for booking 9 months + in advance.

We were able to change our booking and change our deal/inclusions and we kept the same cabin. My PCC did the whole thing with no change in location, but I did lose the extra points for booking 9 months + in advance.

That's great news! Thanks!

We were able to do this as well. We had a DOS with the 10% OBC promo that ran last year. When the Feb promotion came out that offered four "freebies" I called customer service to see if I could switch promos even though my category was sold out (I was still outside of final payment). The initial rep said no. I called back and used the latitudes line and talked to a rep that was more than happy to help. Price stayed the same and we upgraded promos. Not sure if being in the Haven helped with that request, but my suggestion is to call until you find someone willing to help you - because theoretically you should be able to cancel and then immediately rebook. But, doing that comes with the risk that the price of your cabin will go up when it goes back into inventory, although the rep I had was able to see the "new" price before she made any changes.

We have also done it. Twice, actually, for price drops. The PCC told us there's a chance that the cabin could "disappear" between the time he cancels it and rebooks, but said it rarely happens. So far it has worked for us!

We have also done it. Twice, actually, for price drops. The PCC told us there's a chance that the cabin could "disappear" between the time he cancels it and rebooks, but said it rarely happens. So far it has worked for us!

We did that once and the res agent warned us that if there was a waitlist on that category that we risked losing the cabin. I took the chance and got lucky and got our cabin back in the time it took him to cancel the reservation and then reinstate it.

and keep the same cabin? You can't. You can cancel and rebook anytime before final payment for whatever category you want. Obviously if the category is sold out, and if you want to keep your specific cabin, you wouldn't do that ...

Fortunately this is not at all true. If you call and talk to your PCC you can rebook into the same cabin with no issues. In fact any time you call for a price change they actually do a rebook into the same cabin with the same reservation number.

If you see a new promotion that you really want you will need to call your PCC and have them pull the number for you. They can do this without issue. Chances are if it is really sold out then the price will be much higher then you paid in the past so make sure you know what the promotion you are changing to is worth.

6&8

I'm glad to hear that a few of you have done this successfully. I'll keep an eye on promos to see if I can do the same. Thanks!

Just be aware that if your category is sold out, the price of your cabin will likely go up if you rebook to get the promotion. So make sure you factor the new price in.

We had a mini suite on the Sun lost during the time between canceling and re booking for a new advertised lower price (before final payment). Somehow, the computer immediately offered it up to someone else in the few minutes before it could be reaquired for us. Fortunately, there was another cabin 2 doors down that was fine. This was through our TA who worked with NCL.

I was able to do the same.

I'm also curious as to what date, category, and ship. Ours is also sold out and has been for the past month or so. We are on Breakaway 11/8/15 in an M6. I was surprised that it was sold out so far in advance. That's still 6 months from now. It makes me worried that maybe they are scheduling work or a refurb in that part of the ship that week.:eek:

ETA: This is interesting....I just checked out a mock booking for our sailing but didn't put in 3 passengers. Wouldn't you know it, there are lots of rooms available. When I put in 3, none available. What's that about? I know that category holds between 3 or 4 passengers, depending on the room. Some have a pull down bed along with the couch, which will hold 4 people. The ones without the pull down hold up to 3.

Edited by ncklhaus

I'm also curious as to what date, category, and ship. Ours is also sold out and has been for the past month or so. We are on Breakaway 11/8/15 in an M6. I was surprised that it was sold out so far in advance. That's still 6 months from now. It makes me worried that maybe they are scheduling work or a refurb in that part of the ship that week.:eek:

ETA: This is interesting....I just checked out a mock booking for our sailing but didn't put in 3 passengers. Wouldn't you know it, there are lots of rooms available. When I put in 3, none available. What's that about? I know that category holds between 3 or 4 passengers, depending on the room. Some have a pull down bed along with the couch, which will hold 4 people. The ones without the pull down hold up to 3.

The reason why there is no availability is because of international booking capacity. The maximum passenger capacity is based on # of passengers booked already. Just because rooms may accommodate more than two pax; doesn't mean that there are enough life boat seats for every possible cabin being maxed out. This is an international law. Cruise lines do not expect to sell every cabin at max; I ran into this scenario last year with Celebrity as we're we're going to give them a try , but a very nice woman explained the reasoning; and as a result they are definitely on my radar for a future cruise.

Edited by NCLStarHawaii2003

The reason why there is no availability is because of international booking capacity. The maximum passenger capacity is based on # of passengers booked already. Just because rooms may accommodate more than two pax; doesn't mean that there are enough life boat seats for every possible cabin being maxed out. This is an international law. Cruise lines do not expect to sell every cabin at max; I ran into this scenario last year with Celebrity as we're we're going to give them a try , but a very nice woman explained the reasoning; and as a result they are definitely on my radar for a future cruise.

I understand that, but there are at least 8 rooms available in the category when I put in 2 passengers, and none when I put in 3 passengers. To me that makes no sense. If it is based on lifeboat seats, then there are at least 16 spots left in that area. :confused:

I'm also curious as to what date, category, and ship. Ours is also sold out and has been for the past month or so.

It's a garden villa on the Pearl for next year. I realize there are only 2 per ship and they sell out quickly. After our trip 2 weeks ago, I came to realize that it would be nice to have the UBP. I'm hoping it will be a promo sometime before final payment and we'll get to snag it.

The reason we would cancel the booking if we lost that cabin, is there are 6 of us...so it's really the only cabin that works for us.

I understand that, but there are at least 8 rooms available in the category when I put in 2 passengers, and none when I put in 3 passengers. To me that makes no sense. If it is based on lifeboat seats, then there are at least 16 spots left in that area. :confused:

They would rather sell 8 cabins that are available at double occupancy to fill the 16 spots than Leave those cabins empty. It is usually more expensive for two per room then add ons. The possibility of getting extra money on the ship from drinks or specialty restaurants would be better with one or two adults in those cabins. They might even get a single person to pay an up charge or double if they are sold out of single cabins.

The minute you cancel even if you re-book in 30 seconds your cabin is gone and you may or may not get it back. If the catagory is sold out, you better keep what you have. If the promo is so great, then take another catagory and take advantage of the savings.

I did a mock booking on your trip and found the same thing. You might call NCL and see if the PCC can answer why it works out that way. It will still let you put 3 in some of the other mini suites, so I'm thinking it is not due to ship capacity. Please report back if you call them and get an answer.