Book-or-wait advice

boyreporter

Hi all

Am looking at the Breeze for 2/13/16; it's vacation week for our kid, and I'm guessing for lots of others. Wanted to try a cove balcony. Website shows 10 left. Before my interest in a cove balcony, I had thought to last-minute it; I was monitoring for the same week this year, and there was a price drop. But I wasn't monitoring cove balconies.

I'm guessing that I should book now or prepare myself for the real possibility that the cove balconies will sell out before any price drops, which wouldn't be the end of the world; regular balcony still beats the office. But I wanted to ask whether anyone had any experience with this -- a limited availability like the coves during a high-demand week -- who might actually advise me differently. Thanks very much for your time.

troy

If you are certain that you are going, by all means book under the early saver rate. This entitles you to match all price drops up until 2 days before sailing, and it locks you into a cove balcony. The coves will most likely sell out for that week (it is a popular week for families to sail) before the other balconies.

Also, the website only ever shows 10 room available at any one time for a certain section. If it shows less than 10, then you know that the supply is running thin.

Edited by jcearth

Thanks; I had no idea about the 10 at a time. On the price drops, any chance there's wording on the website confirming that? I had read the price drop language as saying you get 2 days after you book, not up until 2 days before sail.

Thanks again.

I agree with jcearth. We lost out on our Feb 2016 sailing by waiting to book on the ship. Once we were on the ship we found out they did not have a future cruise desk. The price went up $500 by the time we were on land and able to book. Book early if you can!

You definitely get price drops for more than 2 days after you book! Reread the web site because it doesn't say that.

You can book any fare and get price drops before you make your final payment. IF you book the Early Saver fare you get price drops up until right before you sail even after final payment.

The trouble with Early Saver is that is it very restrictive so you should read all the rules about no changes and losing your deposit.

Thanks; I had no idea about the 10 at a time. On the price drops, any chance there's wording on the website confirming that? I had read the price drop language as saying you get 2 days after you book, not up until 2 days before sail.

Thanks again.

The 2 days after you book is the 48 hour 110% price drop that applies to any rate that you book. The up-to 2 days before sailing is ONLY for EarlySaver Bookings. ken

Yes, they tell you on the website about price garuantee using the Early Saver rate. It is not just 2 days (that is other rates). There are some drawbacks of booking ES- you pay a higher deposit fee, and you can't cancel with out losing that deposit (you could move it to another ship/booking but you can't get it back.) Hence why they asked you if you are SURE you will be cruising. If you are not sure or may have to cancel, ES is not for you. The DRAWBACK of ES booking and hoping for a price drop and credit is the price drop has to be for the same category cabin else they will not honor it and if you pick a specialty cabin type i.e. aft balcony or cove balcony or any where there are not a lot of cabins of that type and they sell out, you won't be able to get your price adjustment. I have had that happen. Although I also have had cabins open up right at final payment date thus allowing me to get a drop. Best types to book ES are standard Balcony cabins. then interior cabins.

And the website showing only 10 cabins at a time.. that is correct.. It makes people think there are not many cabins left and pushes them to book. (It almost worked for you.)

Thanks very much, everyone, really appreciate it.

jimc, I hear you, but if there's no price drop for coves because they sell out, that's fine. I mean, not as fine as a price drop, but more fine than not sailing at all, or at a higher price.

I like but don't love coves. I am picky about location and am a light sleeper. Be sure, if you book a cove you look at what is located above you. Folks have posted here they have been under the galley and heard noise all night long. Others have posted they didn't hear a thing. That tells me that some areas under the galley can be noisy but not all. You might want to avoid that area.

You are aware that since the number of coves are limited they do sell out and you can't price match if there are none left. A couple of years ago we had a cove on the Magic and 8D's dropped lower than the coves (7C). We didn't upgrade because we wanted to do a cove.

Please read all the info an early saver bookings again. Then go back and read it a third and fourth time. ES can be a great way to book but there are some very strict rules. I see so many people posting here that they booked ES and now Carnival won't honor the price. I have only had one price match denied in price matching multiple times for 15 cruises. So I think some of the problem is people didn't understand the rules of booking. NOT saying Carnival isn't wrong sometimes but most of those ES forms are handled by a computer program not a person.

If I were in your situation, knowing your child is off that week, I would book now and get my pick of locations. Go for ES and you know you will be getting the best price on the stateroom. Check those prices often. Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi all

Am looking at the Breeze for 2/13/16; it's vacation week for our kid, and I'm guessing for lots of others. Wanted to try a cove balcony. Website shows 10 left. Before my interest in a cove balcony, I had thought to last-minute it; I was monitoring for the same week this year, and there was a price drop. But I wasn't monitoring cove balconies.

I'm guessing that I should book now or prepare myself for the real possibility that the cove balconies will sell out before any price drops, which wouldn't be the end of the world; regular balcony still beats the office. But I wanted to ask whether anyone had any experience with this -- a limited availability like the coves during a high-demand week -- who might actually advise me differently. Thanks very much for your time.

troy

In my experience, February is a slower month for cruising-not a high demand week. My February Carnival cruise this year was mostly older, retired people. I didn't see hardly any kids onboard. I agree with your thinking that cove balconies are more likely to sell out. IMO price drop likelihood would seem more favorable for standard balcony cabins.