Vancouver Public Transport

SDJen

I know there are some of you that will be able to help and advise on my questions.

We will be in Vancouver 2 1/2 days pre-cruise. Arriving late Friday and embarking on Monday morning. Staying at the Hyatt on Burrard.

We are possibly using the SkyTrain Saturday evening to and from BC Place, possibly to Granville Island (bus I assume) and a train/bus combo from hotel to Steveston on Sunday.

From what I can figure out online, if I purchase a FareSaver book of 10 tickets, we can use them for bus, train etc... and since we are only traveling on the weekend, I don't have to worry about zones etc.. is that right?

There is a place we can purchase tickets very close to the hotel so that would help too. If I understand, we can just use the 10 tickets whenever we want to. Do you have to validate them anywhere? Do we just show the bus driver a ticket?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure it out :)

Thanks

I know there are some of you that will be able to help and advise on my questions.

We will be in Vancouver 2 1/2 days pre-cruise. Arriving late Friday and embarking on Monday morning. Staying at the Hyatt on Burrard.

We are possibly using the SkyTrain Saturday evening to and from BC Place, possibly to Granville Island (bus I assume) and a train/bus combo from hotel to Steveston on Sunday.

From what I can figure out online, if I purchase a FareSaver book of 10 tickets, we can use them for bus, train etc... and since we are only traveling on the weekend, I don't have to worry about zones etc.. is that right?

There is a place we can purchase tickets very close to the hotel so that would help too. If I understand, we can just use the 10 tickets whenever we want to. Do you have to validate them anywhere? Do we just show the bus driver a ticket?

Thanks

Yup, 1 zone only on weekends. Any 7-Eleven sells them - I'd actually just grab them at the airport before coming into town. If you don't, there's one a little down Burrard across from St Pauls Hospital.

FareSavers need Validated - a blue box, clearly marked, at SkyTrain stations or if a bus is your first leg you insert the ticket into the fare box beside the driver (pay attention to which way around, there's one missing corner to help you orientate the ticket correctly).

Some thoughts...

Edited by xlxo

Let's start with the tickets, yes you can get away with one zone. After 6:30 on Friday until Monday morning everything is one zone. So, when you arrive (presumably from the US), exit the airport, turn right (past the limos) and walk back into the airport. The Airport 7-11 (located below domestic luggage claim) sell the books of tickets, $21 for a book of 10. Each ticket is good for 90 minutes once validated, so you can use for multiple trips (ie train+bus, or bus+bus or....). Also as the tickets are 'tear out' of the book, it's easily shared among multiple people.

From the airport, Skytrain (which is the name given to all of the light) Canada Line from the airport to downtown, and get off at "Vancouver City Centre", your hotel is then 3 blocks up Georgia St just off Georgia st on Burrard. While there's a station right next to your hotel (Burrard Station, on the Expo&Millennium lines), the transfer between lines would actually be a longer walk that just hoofing it up Georgia.

Granville Island, you can easily reach Granville Island on the #50 bus: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Hyatt+Regency+Vancouver,+655+Burrard+St,+Vancouver,+BC+V6C+2R7,+Canada/Granville+Island,+Vancouver,+BC/@49.2762224,-123.1369568,15z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x54867181950118d3:0x64d3ac2e5a7db8df!2m2!1d-123.120619!2d49.285224!1m5!1m1!1s0x548673ce5224c2db:0x36ded25e2da1aeb9!2m2!1d-123.1339931!2d49.2711567!3e3

Steveston involves the Canada Line to either Brighouse (alternate trains YVR/Brighouse) or to Bridgeport, followed by a bus. translink.ca have a trip planner which allows you figure out how to get there, or google maps. Lots of options, all of which are a subway ride, followed by a bus

Canada Line to Bridgeport, followed by #407 bus

Canada Line to Aberdeen, followed by the #410

Canada Line to Brighouse, followed by the #401

Cruise Day, walk next door to Burrard Station and grab a "Waterfront" train. At Waterfront, follow the signs for "Canada Place" which generally means heading left as you get off the train. Two short escalators and you're less than a 100m from Canada Place. To enter the cruise facility (located on the parking level), there's a not well marked ramp between the car ramp and the building itself, that's the easiest way in.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this wasn't your original question, but the walk from the Hyatt to BC Place isn't that bad. It will take you about 20 minutes door to door, probably around the same time as the skytrain. This assumes you're not getting out from a concert and trying to catch the Skytrain. Then the Skytrain will be even slower.