Help - Alaska - Inside VS OV Guarantee

Newbcruiser1

Hi all!

Need some quick advice!

We're booked in an inside room on the Millennium next month to Alaska. Final payment date is this Sunday (we've already paid in full though).

Some ocean view guarantees just came out for about $150pp more than we paid for the inside. Here's our dilemma - the inside is in a good location that I know is quiet and calm in terms of motion. The cheapest OV rooms remaining are on deck 2 (I'd rather be on 3 or above for noise/vibration concerns). They are all the way forward (3rd from the front!) or all the way aft (a connecting room - from my experience, noise transfers through those doors). So worst case, we would end up with one of those, but have a window to see what we're missing outside. Also, I think we would get the drink package on the pick your perk promo if we switch before final payment on Sunday - someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

So what do YOU recommend?! Stay put in a quiet inside and keep an eye on cabins and prices AFTER final payment and maybe switch to an OV or Balcony if prices drop significantly for a NON-guarantee room?

OR

switch NOW to the OV Guarantee and get the drink package (I think) and risk a non-ideal location on deck 2 all the way forward or aft which may be noisy and prone to more motion?

Thanks in advance!

I would stay with the inside and think about the balcony if you find a good cabin and price. On the other hand how much drinking do you 2 plan if you did not have the drink package?

Thanks for your reply!

While it would have been a nice perk, the drink package is definitely not necessary for us! If we don't have it, we will bring on our own bottled water (for excursions), pop, and wine to help minimize spending! Other than that I anticipate having maybe only a couple drinks the whole cruise, and no specialty coffees... And I'm perfectly happy drinking free iced tea, water, hot chocolate, and the delicious passionfruit drink in the machines!

Personally, I'm too claustrophobic and sea sick to get an inside cabin. Having said that, anything aft and stern are also problems for me, even in the Inside Passage on a huge hotel ship (Princess).

I'd keep the central cabin you have and plan to spend most of your time on deck to see the scenery, unless a centrally located balcony cabin pops up. Enjoy! The Inside Passage is spectacular.

Personally' date=' I'm too claustrophobic and sea sick to get an inside cabin. Having said that, anything aft and stern are also problems for me, even in the Inside Passage on a huge hotel ship (Princess).

I'd keep the central cabin you have and plan to spend most of your time on deck to see the scenery, unless a centrally located balcony cabin pops up. Enjoy! The Inside Passage is spectacular.[/quote']

Thanks so much for your advice! I can definitely see people with claustrophobia having issues in those inside cabins! Having said that, I stayed in one a couple rooms away on the Summit a few years ago and after the initial shock upon walking in, I adjusted well and found it very comfortable... Although I was sailing solo at the time - I'm sure it won't be quite as great with a friend! :)

I definitely expect to be spending most of my time on public decks when not on excursions, so I think it should be okay! And with all of the very early mornings (wake-up calls will be needed before 7am on 6 of our 7 days!), I really think it'll just be used for sleeping!

And thanks for the heads up on "rough" seas being a possibility even on inside passage cruises! Now I know to be more picky with the location of our cabin! :)

Keep the inside. There's almost constant daylight in Alaska during the summer. Also not much to look at in Alaska only the scenery. :D

We found on our two Alaskian cruises that any seat or space near a window or rail was at a premium. Passengers would be camped out or fastened to any chair and never move out of them.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Keep the inside. There's almost constant daylight in Alaska during the summer. Also not much to look at in Alaska only the scenery. :D

We found on our two Alaskian cruises that any seat or space near a window or rail was at a premium. Passengers would be camped out or fastened to any chair and never move out of them.

happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji274]

Well THAT's encouraging considering we won't have a piece of rail to ourself with a balcony! Haha! I see us likely wanting to spend much of the sea-days (there's only two of them) in the solarium lounging by the windows. But by the sounds of it, even that might be a problem! :)

Any tips of non-busy places to go? We'll definitely want to be out on deck for Hubbard Glacier - we'll probably wander around between the promenade deck, the helipad (I heard they open it there), and the upper decks. But aside from that, we're flexible.