take those emails seriously ... pride

iamsteph

So.....old brochures. How does that impact "current'" conditions aboard a ship. That's like saying I can still get the same classes at Uni based on my brochures from years ago. You need to look at current marketing...not something from years ago.

Not at all. You will just find that policy they really don't want published is buried in places you'll never look.

Take the fact that you can alter your tips on drinks. When they introduced liquor auto tips, it was clearly listed in black and white. Now, you'll be hard pressed to find it, but the procedure still exists.

And then there's the opposite. Bon Voyage liquor seemed to be one big secret, and the prices were pretty cheap. In fact, the program wasn't even listed in the Bon Voyage site. Then word got out on social media, and it "came out". And was so popular, they tripled the prices.

In any case, if you want to forego a meal you have paid for in your fare, by all means forego it.

Edited by MCFTJCH2V

May 18, 2015

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Conquest. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

To ensure a smooth embarkation experience, we will be implementing staggered check-in windows for your cruise. Your assigned check-in time is from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. We kindly ask that you make plans to arrive within this time frame as guests arriving outside of their assigned window may be asked to come back later or experience a longer wait time.

We highly recommend you check-in at least one hour prior to our scheduled departure time of 4:00 PM. Please keep in mind that you may not be able to embark if you arrive later than 30 minutes prior to sail time.

Lastly, if you have not yet registered for your cruise online, please take a moment to do so now as it will speed up your check-in at the pier. Visit us at www.carnival.com/BookedGuest to register and print your boarding pass.

We can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

20150416_ArleneM_Sig_200x47.jpg

Arlene Marichal

Sr. Director, Solutions and Special Services

It's pretty simple: If you're sailing on a seven night cruise, it's just that....seven nights. You get on in the afternoon of the first night, and you get off the morning after the seventh night. Unless you go to the steakhouse, Bonsai Sushi, Cucina Del Capitano, etc., your meals are include, whether you eat three meals a day or thirteen meals a day.

Pretty clear to me.

It's pretty simple: If you're sailing on a seven night cruise, it's just that....seven nights. You get on in the afternoon of the first night, and you get off the morning after the seventh night. Unless you go to the steakhouse, Bonsai Sushi, Cucina Del Capitano, etc., your meals are include, whether you eat three meals a day or thirteen meals a day.

Pretty clear to me.

Yes a simple concept...but it doesn't mean that boarding should be such that you are guaranteed lunch on the first day and that all passengers "must' BE allowed to board prior to the time lunch is concluded for the first day. You can still get the "free' room service items, the pizza, an ice cream cone, and probably some other items I have forgotten.

The bone of contention is that Carnival is charging you for lunch the first day...and it isn't. Fares are based, like a hotel, on lodging and the transportation the ship provides. Food service is included but no where on your "ticket" does it say which precise meals are part of the price. If you board (by choice or by happenstance) after lunch you are not entitled to get $s back for a "missed" meal...just like you don't get $s back for missed ports, bad weather, broken hot tubs, hours when the pool may be closed for particular circumstances, an entertainers' laryngitis, lack of trivia contests, or reimbursement for a particular menu item if they run out.

Yes a simple concept...but it doesn't mean that boarding should be such that you are guaranteed lunch on the first day and that all passengers "must' BE allowed to board prior to the time lunch is concluded for the first day. You can still get the "free' room service items, the pizza, an ice cream cone, and probably some other items I have forgotten.

Agreed. That's more or less what I was saying.

I received an email today as well.

May 18, 2015

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Pride. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

To ensure a smooth embarkation experience, we will be implementing staggered check-in windows for your cruise. Your assigned check-in time is from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. We kindly ask that you make plans to arrive within this time frame as guests arriving outside of their assigned window may be asked to come back later or experience a longer wait time.

We highly recommend you check-in at least one hour prior to our scheduled departure time of 4:30 PM. Please keep in mind that you may not be able to embark if you arrive later than 30 minutes prior to sail time.

Lastly, if you have not yet registered for your cruise online, please take a moment to do so now as it will speed up your check-in at the pier. Visit us to register and print your boarding pass.

We can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

Arlene Marichal

Sr. Director, Solutions and Special Services

So....... What should I do?

Edited by revcraig

Every cruise line bases their cruises on nights. Fare, gratuities, drink packages and everything else that has a "per day" cost is really based on number of nights.

Where did you read this? I cruise CCL and check my rates everyday and have never ever seen the cruises listed by nights. It is always days. I promise, go check.

Besides who wants to lug carry-on luggage around until the rooms open up at the proper check in time.

Considering your other option is to be wandering around town with not just your carry-on luggage, but the luggage you're will be checking when you get to the port, lugging around carry-on luggage sounds like the way to go for me.

Remember, you have to check out of your hotel by about 11:00. What are you and all your baggage supposed to do with yourselves for 2 or 3 hours to arrive at the late time they ask you to? Of course you're going to go to the port. Even if you have to sit waiting in the terminal it's preferable to sitting on the street corner in front of your pre-cruise hotel waiting for it to be the time they want you to go to the port.

Besides, how much carry-on stuff would you have anyway? We usually have one of those little drawstring backpacks and an over the shoulder canvas bag. It's not that big a deal compared to your checked luggage.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

Where did you read this? I cruise CCL and check my rates everyday and have never ever seen the cruises listed by nights. It is always days. I promise, go check.

So really my 7-day cruise is an 8-day cruise? Why is CCL not giving me full credit for my cruise then?

Considering your other option is to be wandering around town with not just your carry-on luggage, but the luggage you're will be checking when you get to the port, lugging around carry-on luggage sounds like the way to go for me.

Remember, you have to check out of your hotel by about 11:00. What are you and all your baggage supposed to do with yourselves for 2 or 3 hours to arrive at the late time they ask you to? Of course you're going to go to the port. Even if you have to sit waiting in the terminal it's preferable to sitting on the street corner in front of your pre-cruise hotel waiting for it to be the time they want you to go to the port.

Besides, how much carry-on stuff would you have anyway? We usually have one of those little drawstring backpacks and an over the shoulder canvas bag. It's not that big a deal compared to your checked luggage.

I book hotels that offer some services....like they will store your luggage even after the 11 am check out. And I book hotels in a town center so I can wander for a few hours the last day. The few extra dollars for a longer cab ride is still lots cheaper than FTTF.

Just to throw my experience in here, because I was very appreciative of others info when I was getting ready to sail out of Baltimore for the first time.

We were FTTF and were on the May 10-17 sailing. We got to the port around 10:45 and they had already been letting cars in. They lined us up in rows and we took turns, it was very fair (order you came) and organized. We got into the terminal at about 11:00 and were seated by 11:10. We went through all the fast lines. The only place they screwed up is they did not direct us to FTTF boarding seating section. But I was paying attention and when I saw what I thought was FTTF, I got up and asked and sure enough, they sat us with the wrong group. But we got tagged onto the last of the FTTF cruisers. Priority boarding started at 11:45 and we got on about 15 minutes later. It was so smooth I would say Baltimore is my preferred port.

As for getting off the ship. They told there was no need to be down to the dining room annex for the FTTF cruisers until 9:15am. But I didn't buy it. We got down there at 8:30am and were called to get off at 8:50am. We were in the car at 9:07 am. (this was May 17th) It was so fast! But don't listen to them and don't wait. I feel bad for the FTTF cruisers who came down and the room was empty and we left 25 minutes earlier, I guess unless you don't care about getting off fast. But we did.

And this is why FTTF comes in handy, even though everyone always says it's a waste of money.

FTTF would still be a waste in this situation, you cant use it if you can't even get into the parking lot...

Just to throw my experience in here, because I was very appreciative of others info when I was getting ready to sail out of Baltimore for the first time.

We were FTTF and were on the May 10-17 sailing. We got to the port around 10:45 and they had already been letting cars in. They lined us up in rows and we took turns, it was very fair (order you came) and organized. We got into the terminal at about 11:00 and were seated by 11:10. We went through all the fast lines. The only place they screwed up is they did not direct us to FTTF boarding seating section. But I was paying attention and when I saw what I thought was FTTF, I got up and asked and sure enough, they sat us with the wrong group. But we got tagged onto the last of the FTTF cruisers. Priority boarding started at 11:45 and we got on about 15 minutes later. It was so smooth I would say Baltimore is my preferred port.

As for getting off the ship. They told there was no need to be down to the dining room annex for the FTTF cruisers until 9:15am. But I didn't buy it. We got down there at 8:30am and were called to get off at 8:50am. We were in the car at 9:07 am. (this was May 17th) It was so fast! But don't listen to them and don't wait. I feel bad for the FTTF cruisers who came down and the room was empty and we left 25 minutes earlier, I guess unless you don't care about getting off fast. But we did.

when you get to the terminal is there a priority line to go through security. on my last cruise out of baltimore the security line was horrible. i did not have FTTF but while waiting in the line i was looking to see where the priority security line was for future cruising and did not see one. on my next cruise i am hoping to get FTTF.

when you get to the terminal is there a priority line to go through security. on my last cruise out of baltimore the security line was horrible. i did not have FTTF but while waiting in the line i was looking to see where the priority security line was for future cruising and did not see one. on my next cruise i am hoping to get FTTF.

Yes, when we got into the very first line there was one official looking at ID's but two sides. He was working both sides. The other line was long but we were right at the front of the other and moved right on through.

FTTF would still be a waste in this situation, you cant use it if you can't even get into the parking lot...

I disagree, you are still going to be on the boat sooner than everyone else with FTTF. Boarding does not begin until hours after parking starts, so you will still be the front of that line with FTTF. Not to mention the other perks of FTTF.

FTTF was COMPLETELY USELESS on the Pride May 3 sailing in Baltimore. They refused to let us in the Priority door (saying it was reserved for a wedding) and they made us go through the hour long wind around ropes with everyone else. Got there before 10 and by the time we got our S&S cards, we walked on with everyone else cause boarding had started.

This was the first time in maybe 9 sailings with FTTF that this happened with.....

Really? We were on that sailing with FTTF and didn't have an issue at all. We were on right away. Bypassed all the lines. Sorry you had to wait!

This weekend has been a tough one for embarkation. Port Canaveral and Norfolk had serious delays yesterday as well.

Makes you wonder whats going on.

Yes there is probably a bigger picture that we are not privy to :rolleyes:

I am sure its warning of terror plots etc.