take those emails seriously ... pride

iamsteph

Of 25 cruises out of Long Beach, we have always boarded around noon.

Then you have "received" bonus time onboard....not the alloted time you actually purchased.

Cruise lines have been gracious (knowing full well their customers are chomping at the proverbial bit) to have the shore staff set up as early as possible and then providing a holding room if there is a hold-up on the ship. The problem is, now, that passengers assume they can show up before dawn:rolleyes: and get on that ship before the sun rises:D.

I can't believe the hoards of people who feel they are entitled to more than their cruise contract gives them. Cruises are based on nights (just like a hotel) with printed check-in times. Get there early and if you have to sit around and wait or stand outside in the hot sunshine...to darn bad. Just blame your own impatience, not Carnival.

Besides who wants to lug carry-on luggage around until the rooms open up at the proper check in time. Oh yea, the entitled now spend $60 bucks just in case the ship boards early...or, sadly, they just barge through the fire doors and drop off their cases early bragging about how they beat the system.

Then you have "received" bonus time onboard....not the alloted time you actually purchased.

Cruise lines have been gracious (knowing full well their customers are chomping at the proverbial bit) to have the shore staff set up as early as possible and then providing a holding room if there is a hold-up on the ship. The problem is, now, that passengers assume they can show up before dawn:rolleyes: and get on that ship before the sun rises:D.

I can't believe the hoards of people who feel they are entitled to more than their cruise contract gives them. Cruises are based on nights (just like a hotel) with printed check-in times. Get there early and if you have to sit around and wait or stand outside in the hot sunshine...to darn bad. Just blame your own impatience, not Carnival.

Besides who wants to lug carry-on luggage around until the rooms open up at the proper check in time. Oh yea, the entitled now spend $60 bucks just in case the ship boards early...or, sadly, they just barge through the fire doors and drop off their cases early bragging about how they beat the system.

Cruises are based on nights? I don't know what cruise line you use but this is the Carnival board. Every cruise I have booked is listed as days.

Bonus? Sorry, you're counting incorrectly. Any vacation with a meal plan starts and ends with 3 meals. On the day of embarkation, vacation starts with lunch, dinner, and the next mornings breakfast. That counts as one day. 7 days start with lunch on boarding day, and breakfast on day of departure.

I just got off the Splendor yesterday in Norfolk and boarding and disembarking were complete nightmares. I'm thinking it's because Norfolk does not see much cruise ship traffic? I'm platinum and was in the first group to board around 12:30- there were still huge lines outside the building at 4:30 of people waiting to board. Sailing was delayed. Getting off the ship was a nightmare- they tried to send us back on the ship when they realized luggage wasn't delivered. It was a fun cruise, but Norfolk does not have its act together!

So if there were huge lines outside still waiting at 4:30, then I guess it's safe to say some didn't make it on until after 5. So, what I have been saying is that if those people paid for a 6 day cruise, how many did they get?

If you file print the email as a pdf, it saves it and you can post it here. We would like to see it. The company has been in denial over this exact complaint.

I never got an email, but I think others got one that basically said the same thing as the phone call I got. I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number, so I have the voicemail. The voicemail said:

Hi, this is carnival cruise lines calling with an important message regarding your cruise aboard the beautiful carnival pride Sunday. To ensure a smooth embarkation process, staggered checkin will be permitted for your cruise. Your assigned checkin time is from 12pm to 1pm. We kindly ask you to make plans to arrive within this time frame as guests arriving outside their assigned window may be asked to come back later or experience a longer wait time. Our departure remains as scheduled. Thanks and see you soon!

They finally started letting us in about 1130, but it went very slowly because there were so many people waiting. And the way they let people in, people who came in much later actually made it in before people who got there earlier. So it was kind of a mess. Our lesson learned: get dropped off - those guys weren't prevented from getting into the terminal to check in! :-p

I just got off the Splendor yesterday in Norfolk and boarding and disembarking were complete nightmares. I'm thinking it's because Norfolk does not see much cruise ship traffic? I'm platinum and was in the first group to board around 12:30- there were still huge lines outside the building at 4:30 of people waiting to board. Sailing was delayed. Getting off the ship was a nightmare- they tried to send us back on the ship when they realized luggage wasn't delivered. It was a fun cruise, but Norfolk does not have its act together!

I think it is partially due to a design defect - just a few small elevators up to the entrance level; most people have too much luggage to take the stairs.

Critical to get to Norfolk way way early ...

Currently sitting outside the port. They aren't letting anyone park (maybe van drop offs are getting through). The letter/phone call this time said they might turn people away who showed up early. They aren't turning people away but the port entrance is now a parking lot that is going to turn into free for all (sad thing is I can see plenty of parking).

So maybe they really are going to start cracking down on early show ups?

I have cruised out of Baltimore 5 times, and have never been let into the actual area to drop off bags or park until after 11am... The ship does not dock back in Baltimore until 9am.... They have to get the people off and in their cars so their is parking spots available for new arrivals.. The earliest I have every boarded in Baltimore is 12:15pm... Normal time is between 12:30 and 1pm to start boarding in Baltimore.. Most ships in Florida dock by 7am, so there boarding is 2 hours earlier...

I've sailed twice from Norfolk (Triumph CTN and Glory to Bermuda) and embarkation was simple and quick both times.

Having too much luggage to carry up one flight of stairs isn't Carnival's or Norfolk's fault. I've heard that taking the stairs is actually good for your health. Perhaps people should try it once in a while. Like on the ship on the way to the buffet to eat enough for three people. ;)

Disembarkation is a little more congested because there simply isn't much space there for pick up and taxis.

My one cruise out of Baltimore last May was the fastest check-in ever (shuttle from hotel). Yes, we sat in the terminal and waited quite a while. I expected that because I'd been reading threads about Pride.

Carnival tries to let you know if boarding is going to be delayed. But, sometimes things happen that they can't control. These are ships at sea. Not everyone involved in everything cruise-related is a Carnival employee. People do realize that, right?

And it doesn't matter if a cruise is listed as x days. No where do they say "x FULL DAYS" do they? If you've ever cruised, you should realize this. But everyone wants that first "free lunch" right? Or to start drinking so they're plastered by the time the ship sails. :rolleyes:

From the Carnival website:

New Orleans 1:30 – 3:00 P.M.

Both times I have sailed from New Orleans, boarding began by 11:30 a.m. and it was announced that rooms would be ready at 12:30 p.m. When I arrived at the port at 11:30 a.m., the check-in lines were not long and I boarded almost immediately. Yet, I still received emails telling me to arrive at 1:30 p.m.

I understand that the website would list the worst-case scenario, and we aren't promised the ability to board any earlier. The frustrating thing is that guests can't trust the emails when there really is a delay in boarding, because Carnival always sends them and they almost always mean nothing.

Based on my experiences sailing from several different ports (not Norfolk), I also have the impression that the level of efficiency in getting people on and off the boat is not the same everywhere. This is not intended to blame Carnival -- in the case of Galveston it appeared to be due to a shortage of customs officials that morning and/or an unusual unannounced inspection.

Currently sitting outside the port. They aren't letting anyone park (maybe van drop offs are getting through). The letter/phone call this time said they might turn people away who showed up early. They aren't turning people away but the port entrance is now a parking lot that is going to turn into free for all (sad thing is I can see plenty of parking).

So maybe they really are going to start cracking down on early show ups?

Last time I sailed the Pride, I decided if I ever did again, I would park elsewhere and take a cab to the port. I waited in the parking lot in line for a solid hour watching cabs drop off people at the door.

Just got off the PRIDE on the 10th. Prior to the cruise we received notice from Carnival to arrive AFTER 1:30pm. We didn't listen, and arrived at noon. Dropping off our luggage and parking was no problem, but we had to wait in line about 90 minutes to check in and board. Totally our fault; lesson learned.

As mentioned, the PRIDE doesn't dock in Baltimore until late. After the cruise, we didn't disembark until 10:45am, and people were already at the pier for the next cruise. Seems either they never received the notice or, like me, they just didn't listen.

And this is why FTTF comes in handy, even though everyone always says it's a waste of money.

FTTF was COMPLETELY USELESS on the Pride May 3 sailing in Baltimore. They refused to let us in the Priority door (saying it was reserved for a wedding) and they made us go through the hour long wind around ropes with everyone else. Got there before 10 and by the time we got our S&S cards, we walked on with everyone else cause boarding had started.

This was the first time in maybe 9 sailings with FTTF that this happened with.....

this is why i come fashionably late, at like 1-2pm, to miss all the lines and the 'eager beavers' willing to line up before they were told to arrive at port, or in this post are looking to charge people if they can't be on at noon and such.

This is now us too. So much easier. I am eager to start cruising, but not to "hurry up & wait"

Bonus? Sorry, you're counting incorrectly. Any vacation with a meal plan starts and ends with 3 meals. On the day of embarkation, vacation starts with lunch, dinner, and the next mornings breakfast. That counts as one day. 7 days start with lunch on boarding day, and breakfast on day of departure.

And you know this for a fact....

As far as Carnival (or any cruise line) the trip is listed from departure to return arrival. No where on their site does it state meals are guaranteed to begin with lunch and end with breakfast. You may assume that but it is incorrect. It's still Sunday just before midnight and the following Sunday begins just after midnight a week later.

Us too. I can't understand why I ever was so anxious to get onboard that I would be willing to go early and take a chance on having to sit and sit waiting to board. Won't happen again after the debacle last year. So unnecessary. Lesson learned.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I've been on the pride numerous times and while we usually take a cab, I've never seen them not let people park. Usually follow the ship tracker and arrive two or three hours after she docks, so when she docks doesn't matter. There was parking available. I could see numerous spots open, but they basically waited until the lot cleared completely out before they let anyone in. That was the frustrating part - I'd rather wait inside where there are bathrooms, water, etc. than be stuck sitting in my car.

In the end, I realize they said don't be here until noon, but if you wait that long, being platinum or having fttf isn't worth it. You're just boarding with everyone else. Normally I wouldn't care, but this time dh and I have a cabana and we wanted a certain one so we wanted to be on board asap.

I never got an email, but I think others got one that basically said the same thing as the phone call I got. I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the number, so I have the voicemail. The voicemail said:

Hi, this is carnival cruise lines calling with an important message regarding your cruise aboard the beautiful carnival pride Sunday. To ensure a smooth embarkation process, staggered checkin will be permitted for your cruise. Your assigned checkin time is from 12pm to 1pm. We kindly ask you to make plans to arrive within this time frame as guests arriving outside their assigned window may be asked to come back later or experience a longer wait time. Our departure remains as scheduled. Thanks and see you soon!

They finally started letting us in about 1130, but it went very slowly because there were so many people waiting. And the way they let people in, people who came in much later actually made it in before people who got there earlier. So it was kind of a mess. Our lesson learned: get dropped off - those guys weren't prevented from getting into the terminal to check in! :-p

So they were letting drop off's go into the terminal to check in? Did you notice what time it was when a majority was getting dropped of but you still had to wait in line?

Cruises are based on nights? I don't know what cruise line you use but this is the Carnival board. Every cruise I have booked is listed as days.

Every cruise line bases their cruises on nights. Fare, gratuities, drink packages and everything else that has a "per day" cost is really based on number of nights.

Those Emails are ridiculous. This past weekend, they tried to put me in a different time slot than my husband and step- daughter, even though we were under the same reservation. That wasn't happening :mad:

Of course, embarkation of Splendor at the Port of Norfolk was such a quagmire, they probably would have let people just walk on without boarding passes :rolleyes:

Edited by VASOXFANN

First time cruiser and all along, I've been leaning to going elsewhere for lunch and relaxing while everyone else fights to get on the ship.

Thanks for the confirmation that this is the way to go.

It doesn't seem like a fair trade to get 90 minutes of frustration in exchange for 90 extra minutes on the ship. That extra 90 minutes on the ship is not going to make or break my trip, but the 90 minutes of frustration is certainly going to start me off with a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll just show up around 1:30 or 2 and walk on, our cabins will be ready, etc. Seems the smart way to go.

And you know this for a fact....

As far as Carnival (or any cruise line) the trip is listed from departure to return arrival. No where on their site does it state meals are guaranteed to begin with lunch and end with breakfast. You may assume that but it is incorrect. It's still Sunday just before midnight and the following Sunday begins just after midnight a week later.

Just open up an old brochure and it will lay out how things operated.

Just open up an old brochure and it will lay out how things operated.

So.....old brochures. How does that impact "current'" conditions aboard a ship. That's like saying I can still get the same classes at Uni based on my brochures from years ago. You need to look at current marketing...not something from years ago.

I've never received an e-mail for the staggered boarding, and likely wouldn't take it to heart, but I can tell you that I've sailed the Pride a lot and the parking area never opens before 11 a.m. The earliest that we've ever boarded was around 12:30. We usually try to arrive around 11:15 to 11:30 and that works pretty well. There's absolutely no point in arriving early morning to board.