Advice for Nice

celebrity

I tried doing a search bit came up with nothing for my query.

Being a first timer, would you stay in Nice or venture to Eze?

I have no desire to see Monaco.

Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of previous posts on both places. If you have a long port day it is possible to do both Eze (Village) and Nice. They are two totally different kind of places with Nice being a large busy city with an attractive seaside Promanade and a decent compact old town area. Nice also has an excellent outdoor Flower Market (they have more then flowers) on most mornings (not on Monday) along the Cours Selaya which is in old town. We have often suggested that some cruisers might want to go to Nice in the morning, see the Flower market and do some other exploration of the city and then head to Eze Village in the afternoon. If you want to use public transportation it is possible to get to Eze on a regional bus, but the frequency of the bus means you must do some planning around the schedule. For example, the #82 bus departs from Nice at 10 and 12 and stops right outside Eze Village 30 minutes later. You would then have to determine the best way to later get from Eze to wherever you need to go (you have not given us enough info to help with this issue).

Hank

There are a lot of previous posts on both places. If you have a long port day it is possible to do both Eze (Village) and Nice. They are two totally different kind of places with Nice being a large busy city with an attractive seaside Promanade and a decent compact old town area. Nice also has an excellent outdoor Flower Market (they have more then flowers) on most mornings (not on Monday) along the Cours Selaya which is in old town. We have often suggested that some cruisers might want to go to Nice in the morning, see the Flower market and do some other exploration of the city and then head to Eze Village in the afternoon. If you want to use public transportation it is possible to get to Eze on a regional bus, but the frequency of the bus means you must do some planning around the schedule. For example, the #82 bus departs from Nice at 10 and 12 and stops right outside Eze Village 30 minutes later. You would then have to determine the best way to later get from Eze to wherever you need to go (you have not given us enough info to help with this issue).

Hank

Hank, I was hoping you would see this. Thanks so much for replying. We will dock Sept 12, 2016 so I guess the flower market is out. We will be in port from 10am-7pm.

Hank, I was hoping you would see this. Thanks so much for replying. We will dock Sept 12, 2016 so I guess the flower market is out. We will be in port from 10am-7pm.

Flower market will be still be going on. It's cut flowers mostly. We've been in Nice in November and visited the market. Which actual port is on your itinerary?

Flower market will be still be going on. It's cut flowers mostly. We've been in Nice in November and visited the market. Which actual port is on your itinerary?

We are docking in Nice. According to Hank, the flower market is closed on Mondays. We dock on Monday, 9-12-16.

We are docking in Nice. According to Hank, the flower market is closed on Mondays. We dock on Monday, 9-12-16.

Ok that makes sense. It looks like you are on the Brilliance which docks in Villefrance, for Nice. Just making sure because the cruise lines are kind of crazy with where they say they dock and where they actually dock ...for example they say Paris...when the ship usually docks in Le Havre. It will just help Hank give you the best info on how to get from point A to B to C.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I truly hate Monday's in France and Italy as they sometimes seem more like a quiet Sunday then Sunday (not sure this makes sense). As I previously posted, the Flower Market in Nice's old town is closed on Mondays. On Monday mornings at the same location (Cours Selaya) there is often a small antique market. Even on a quiet Monday I think our favorite destination would be St Paul de Vence although I suspect that some of the shops/galleries would be closed on that day of the week. Just exploring the small shops and restaurants in Old Town Nice is always fun and most visitors enjoy strolling along the too commercial Promanade.

And we will emphasize that "tendering into Villefranche" is not "docking in Nice." Not only can the tender operation delay getting ashore (sometimes for several hours) but Villefranche is a few miles from Nice (which can be covered by bus or train).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

There are always a few flower stands open in the Flower market on Monday. The stalls that normally sell vegetables, etc, are taken over by antiques and flea market dealers every Monday. Most cafes will be open and most shops around the market will too.

We would add that antique markets in France are very interesting. In fact, on Sunday mornings (whenever we are in Provence) we always drive over to L'Isle Sur La Sorgue for their truly amazing market which must have over 100 antique stalls plus lots of interesting food stalls. And the village is a true delight with the expansive market arrayed along the Sorgue (river). Some think this might be one of the 2 top outdoor markets in all of France (the best being in Paris) and we actually like it better then the big market in Paris. But for cruisers it is a real problem because you cannot normally get there (from Marseille) on a train or public transit. You need a vehicle and most French rental car agencies are closed on Sundays. But for those who decide to hire a private car/guide/driver you might want to ask you guide about visiting this market. Of course this does not answer the OPs original issue but we do love to mention L'Isle Sur la Sorque whenever possible. Might help somebody plan a future trip :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner