Culinary Arts Center

texastee

Hello - We are sailing on the Veendam next month and I was wanting some more information on the Culinary Arts Center. Is this just an activity that is planned on the daily schedule? Can you sign up for a culinary class prior to getting on the ship? Not sure how popular they are.. Thanks!

We were on the Westerdam last month and most sea days saw a demonstration of different types of dishes with samples and recipes to follow. Apparently their are classes you can sign up for and actually participate in preparation of a dish, but I have heard these can be cancelled if not enough people sign up. Ask at the front desk early in the trip if you are interested.

There are demos, free & open to all - and classes, which require registration and payment. Some of the Veendam cruises have guest chefs, in which case you will have some demos and classes with them. There are also demonstrations and classes done by the "show chef."

On the Veendam, the Culinary Arts Center is also the Wajang Theater.

Movies are shown here (free popcorn).

Cooking demonstrations are also held here -- they are free.

The cooking classes are held here and you can only sign up for them once you are on the ship -- at the front desk. They are limited to 12 people and are $29 per person.

We were on the Veendam's May 2nd cruise to Bermuda and did the cooking class. I asked about it on board and was told they didn't have any info or the menu yet, but expected to have it the next day. After learning the menu was crab cakes, cedar planked halibut and chocolate souffle, we signed up, $29 per person. Enjoyed the class and the included lunch, with wine, in the Pinnacle Grill. Due to health laws, the chef cooked the same menu for us. I may be wrong, but I believe when and perhaps if, a class is held is up to the Chef. Ours was held on the day we left Bermuda.

DH is unable to stand for long and they provided a counter height chair so he could participate in comfort. Classes are limited to about 12, so ask when you get on. I never saw it in advertised.

There were several free cooking demos that we never made it to. Have a great cruise.

Edited by Parker1

We were on the Veendam's May 2nd cruise to Bermuda and did the cooking class. I asked about it on board and was told they didn't have any info or the menu yet, but expected to have it the next day. After learning the menu was crab cakes, cedar planked halibut and chocolate souffle, we signed up, $29 per person. Enjoyed the class and the included lunch, with wine, in the Pinnacle Grill. Due to health laws, the chef cooked the same menu for us. I may be wrong, but I believe when and perhaps if, a class is held is up to the Chef. Ours was held on the day we left Bermuda.

DH is unable to stand for long and they provided a counter height chair so he could participate in comfort. Classes are limited to about 12, so ask when you get on. I never saw it in advertised.

There were several free cooking demos that we never made it to. Have a great cruise.

That last sentence is important: many ships do not advertise the Cooking Classes. Therefore, you need to be proactive: ask and sign up, don't wait.