Cruising Sydney harbour for vivid lights festival 2015?

I am currently planning to book today for vivid lights Sydney. So far, this is the lowest price available $39 per head from all occasion cruises-vivid lights Sydney.

The problem is, they are already fully booked. So I don't have much choice. The only available date is Sunday 31st May 2015 – 6PM to 8PM.

Any suggestion guys? Other options? My budget range will be $35-$70. I don't mind about food quality. What matters most is the experience. The target date will be May 22-25 if possible.

Regards,

Wendy Higgins

Do you have to do a cruise? You don't see everything from the cruise. You would be better to walk around the spots. Yes it will be crowded but you can stay snd view each spot as long as you like.

On the Opera House for example, you could stand there for 20 minutes and there is no repeat on the light patterns shown.

Make sure you go to Customs House and Darling Harbour too.

We have been to vivid most years and find the best way go enjoy it is go walk around the harbour front. Take your time and enjoy it at your pace. If you want to do a "cruise" I would just catch one of the local ferries across the harbour or from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour and back, cheap and at your own pace.

We have splashed out this year and booked a club room at the Intercontinental and will enjoy drinks and the spectacular view from their club Lounge!

Last year we just went down and wandered around. By far the best, although a short ferry ride would give another perspective - perhaps across to Milsons Point so that you can see the lights from there.

Naturally the harbour cruise companies want to cash in on such an event but, as others have said, it's not really the best way to see Vivid.

Can someone tell me what "Vivid" is and for what dates. We will be in Sydney Oct 24 to Oct 26th. thanks,

Hi there ....No it wont be on then. its a festival where laser lights illuminate City buildings ,the Bridge, Opera House etc..

Vivid Sydney is an 18-day festival of light, music and ideas.

http://www.vividsydney.com/

Do you have to do a cruise? You don't see everything from the cruise. You would be better to walk around the spots. Yes it will be crowded but you can stay snd view each spot as long as you like.

On the Opera House for example, you could stand there for 20 minutes and there is no repeat on the light patterns shown.

Make sure you go to Customs House and Darling Harbour too.

Well, I don't have much choice because my boss wants a harbour cruise. We tried All Occasion Cruises, so far the experience is wonderful because most of us are first timers in cruising, even my boss. The ship's name: Aussie Magic - http://www.aocruises.com.au/boats/aussie-magic/

Yes, we didn't see that much while on cruise. But it was a nice experience for a first timer, also our expectations were low thanks to your advice, I told them we won't be viewing everything while on a cruise. We didn't get bored for 2 hours, lots of champagne on the cruise.

After the cruise, we walked around even though it's crowded. I told everybody to visit custom house. It was awesome! But as expected, it's too crowded :)

Edited by wendyhiggins

A colleague did a vivid cruise on the weekend. She was underwhelmed. The cruise itself was fine. she just felt you didn't see the best of vivid from the water.

Yeah, lesson learned for us, we have to walk to view everything. But so far, it was a good experience, good thing most of us are first timers on cruise.

Edited by wendyhiggins

Last year we just went down and wandered around. By far the best, although a short ferry ride would give another perspective - perhaps across to Milsons Point so that you can see the lights from there.

Naturally the harbour cruise companies want to cash in on such an event but, as others have said, it's not really the best way to see Vivid.

Yeah, Milsons Point, it was spectacular. Too bad my phone battery run out when we reach that location. :mad:

Well you're right. If you want to view vivid lights festival on a different perspective, the best way is to try harbour cruises.

Lots of deals on the internet when we are choosing which cruise to take. I have an office mate with a DSLR camera with a nice big lens, he took advantage of our company event to take pictures of vivid lights and his shots were so good. It will only be good if you have big lenses. The ordinary lens won't make a big difference on shots. So I think vivid lights cruises are good for photographers who wants to take shots on a different perspective.

We went last night, it was even better than last year. Highly recommended. We walked around, whilst busy, the crowds weren't as bad as Friday or Saturday when other friends went.

Plenty of opportunity for short cruises if you fancy it, along the Eastern side of Circular Quay where the jet boats go from there were 2 different companies offering trips, you could board there and then.

My son's friends went again this year, they swear by catching the train to Milsons Point station to walk across the bridge and Cahill Expressway for a less crowded view.