Can you take?

arpie05

Ok so I actually have two questions.

1. So I know we really cant carry on a bunch of stuff but can you carry on a personal beach umbrella or something to attach to your chair?

2. When did they update Freeport? I just saw/read some reviews and it looks really different than it did 5 (?) years ago. It reminds me a lot now of St. Thomas (where Carnival docks) from the pics I saw.

--- though, I'm thinking I could be confusing ports too :rolleyes:

But I was thinking Freeport used to have a few shops then a long walk/ pier to the actual town.

Edited by arpie05

The way the loungers are set up it's difficult to put up an umbrella without making it difficult for others to move around you.

No idea about Freeport.

Freeport has a long way to go before it's anything like St Thomas. It's set in an industrial port and too far from town for most people to walk, at least 2-3 miles. There is a few commercial buildings at the port, a couple of places like Fat Tuesdays, and a little shopping village. About 3 miles away for the closet beach, probably further by car since you have to weave your way out of the industrial area. You can get a good view of it on Google Maps.

Ok so I actually have two questions.

1. So I know we really cant carry on a bunch of stuff but can you carry on a personal beach umbrella or something to attach to your chair?

2. When did they update Freeport? I just saw/read some reviews and it looks really different than it did 5 (?) years ago. It reminds me a lot now of St. Thomas (where Carnival docks) from the pics I saw.

--- though, I'm thinking I could be confusing ports too :rolleyes:

But I was thinking Freeport used to have a few shops then a long walk/ pier to the actual town.

I'm guessing the wind would make it near impossible to be able to use any sort of umbrella.

Are you talking about using the umbrella on the ship? The wind would blow it away. It is a safety hazard and the crew will not let you put one up. If you are talking about using it on the beach in port, that is entirely up to you. However, is it really worth all the hassle to carry it with you?

Also, in regard to Freeport, could you possibly be confusing Freeport with Nassau? Nassau has all the shops as soon as you get off the ship. Haven't been to Freeport in many years, but I don't recall it looking anything like St. Thomas.

Are you talking about using the umbrella on the ship? The wind would blow it away. It is a safety hazard and the crew will not let you put one up. If you are talking about using it on the beach in port, that is entirely up to you. However, is it really worth all the hassle to carry it with you?

Also, in regard to Freeport, could you possibly be confusing Freeport with Nassau? Nassau has all the shops as soon as you get off the ship. Haven't been to Freeport in many years, but I don't recall it looking anything like St. Thomas.

Nope not confusing Nassau :). I have spent several separate vacations there. I was just referring to the area when you get off the ship .. The shops right there. I should have asked better about the umbrella. I meant to take ashore :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To answer your question, no, I don't think Freeport has changed much.

Now for my very personal and unsolicited opinion. I think each port you can find a gem with a little research and luck.

Freeport was one of our favorite ports so far - we had a great snorkeling adventure at this dive called Paradise Cove at Deadman's Reef. The food was meh, but the owner pleasant, and saw some amazing rays and turtles and barracudas. And I loved watching the industrial cargo port with all the little trucks buzzing around the freight containers. And in the shops at the Freeport dock was a man who carved his own walking sticks among other things - we have always regretted not getting one because since then we've rarely found souvenirs at the ports that were not mass marketed stuff.

The first time we went to Nassau we did the walking tour - it was hot, crowded, felt badgered by some guy at the Queens Staircase - and I swore the second time we went I wouldn't get off the ship. We did though, and the second time took a Jitney and went to Ardastra and had a great time. It was my favorite port of that trip and that was completely unexpected.

Because at Grand Turk which everyone loves, I remember as meh, because the snorkeling/sting ray tour we went on - was fifteen minutes of blah snorkeling and one stingray at a distance.

Also while everyone loves Half Moon Cay I just found it miserable and slogging through sand and the music way too loud - you couldn't escape it. LOL. But that was our experience and I know we are in the minority.

As much as I research, sometimes I think it's just a crap shoot and hopefully you stumble upon the things that make you happy!

Edited by Bobblefrog

Thanks Mike, Bobble and Malden...

Bobble... we will give it another try. Didn't care for it last time but may check out the beach you recommended.

I had asked about something to block the sun for while we are at the beaches because we picked our trip based on the date - and not the ports. Crappy ports this cruise - my teenage son has had foot surgery on both of his feet and has difficulty walking on the sand (it is painful) so he isn't a beach person. He's more into activities and sports. I was just trying to think of a way to keep him from frying while I enjoyed HMC ;) (it hurts even if sand gets in water shoes to walk on the beach while I prefer to not wear shoes) :p

Thanks all for the advice!

We actually liked Freeport- did a private bicycling excursion. It was nice to get some exercise, it was a beautiful day and a relatively flat ride- about 12 miles with a beach stop. We are not big shoppers or drinkers, so this was a nice port for us.

i'm not sure if you're technically allowed to bring an umbrella or not (though i haven't seen it on the prohibited items list or the like), but it's probably not advisable, especially if you're trying to negotiate it via tender, etc.

at half moon cay though, you can 1) find a spot in the shade, 2) rent a clamshell or 3) rent a cabana / villa.

regarding freeport, i think you are thinking of progreso, mexico based on your description. there you get off and there's a few shops / bars etc., but the cruise port is basically at the end of a several mile long pier, and you need to take a bus to get to land:

progresomexico.jpg

Freeport is rather different now than it was on my first couple of stops about 10 years ago. There's much more there at the port. I had a gap of several years between visits and was surprised with how much it had grown.

I honestly don't know what the problem is with Freeport. There are some lovely spots to see. I don't cruise to hang around the made-for-tourists shops and bars at the pier. I could drive to Myrtle Beach if that was what I wanted from a vacation. :p

But then, I don't have a problem with any port. I'm going on Carnival #22 in less than two weeks and it's going to be a long time before I feel I've seen and done everything there is in any port.

I'll keep going back to the same ports and keep adding new stops when I can. It's why I cruise!

I've been to Freeport, and was very pleasantly surprised by it. Based on what I read on here, it seemed like it would be a dump. Boy, was I wrong.

The port area is highly commercialized, but safer and has more mellow feel to it than the Nassau one. There are some arts and crafts shops, a Senor Frog's, some other bar, and vendor stalls. It's small enough to see all of it in about half hour. I had a excursion to a Bahamian cooking class on the beach, where I could also swim. The chef/instructor was awesome; he was a good teacher and made the lesson fun. After I got back and dropped off my wet swimsuit in my cabin, I had enough time to putz around the port area. I spent most of the time in Senor Frogs, trying crazy mixed drinks and dancing with fellow passengers.

All in all, don't knock Freeport. If you're looking for a refined experience or a built-up area, it'd probably not for you. You could say it's the Bahamas counterpart of Progreso. But if you just want a place to see something interesting and let loose afterwards, it'll be right up your alley.