UDP - Difficulty getting into the specialty restaurants?

mickeysgal

With so many people that have taken advantage of the UDP promo, are reservations a have-to? We're on Epic and it's going to be a port intensive cruise...not really sure how tired we'll be each night, when we'd like to eat, etc. In other words, I really don't like to be tied down to a date and time but I'm concerned that due to the popularity of the promotion it will be hard to get into the specialty restaurants. Anyone seeing that as an issue yet?

With so many people that have taken advantage of the UDP promo, are reservations a have-to? We're on Epic and it's going to be a port intensive cruise...not really sure how tired we'll be each night, when we'd like to eat, etc. In other words, I really don't like to be tied down to a date and time but I'm concerned that due to the popularity of the promotion it will be hard to get into the specialty restaurants. Anyone seeing that as an issue yet?

It does seem like NCL allows only a small number of reservations. Many people have complained recently about having difficulty getting a reservation, then they arrive to find a nearly empty restaurant. And they are annoyed. So, the complaints that people can't get reservations are reflecting a truth, but that does not mean they could not have eaten at the restaurant at their preferred times. I realize I last cruised on the Epic before the UDP promotion, however it does seem that the reservations operation has not changed; hence the anger and frustration concerning nearly empty restaurants. Look at the various electronic message boards and most of them are green most of the time; the exceptions being Teppanyaki (because of limited seating times and seats) and occasionally Le Bistro (because of popularity). On my last cruise, the reservation person told me that they limit the available reservations (when I could not get one when I wanted), but to just show up. There would probably be lots of tables. She was correct. Just because you can't get a reservation, in all likelihood, does not mean there are no available tables. My best guess is that if you are a bit flexible, there probably will not be a problem. It's Freestyle!!!!

Edited by drvalo

My thoughts in adding to above post, part of the problem is staffing, or lack thereof - at least on the *Away class ships at dining time in specialty - thus empty tables and blocked slots of reservations, as certain wait stations or zones (sections) within these specialty restaurants, Tepp's excluded - are unavailable to anyone, even on a walk-in basis.

This is most definitely true for LeBistro, where we dined there twice this March & last year (where there was no UDP & there's always Platinum members booking there with our perks). There is simply impossible to serve a full dining venue with only a handful of waiter/ess & assistants - and the wine stewards gone - when its capacity is something like 150+ (very approximated) Ditto for Le Cusina. It's no surprise for the average dinner to take 90 minutes to 2 hours and long pauses in between, and sometimes the excuses gone to "backups" in the gallery.

Another way of looking at all these is that - when all the seating capacities are added up for the megaship's speciality restaurants - there is something like 700 to 800 plus chairs for guests, if they can do 2 rounds or turnarounds for seating everyone from 5:30 to 6 PM and then 7:30 or 8 PM - they can, in theory, take care of 1,300 to 1,500 booked reservations, taking into account some no-shows & cancellations. I seriously doubt they sold or "gave" away that many UDP packages or had that many onboard each sailing.

If that is true, the 3 MDR's would be pretty spacious (not empty) plus the buffet and O'Sheehans ... they are not. These "free" restaurants are still pretty busy & packed, waiting time for tables and just slow - in a hurry, it's only the buffet.

Oh, I almost forgot, it's now Feestyle for Room Service (except for 6 AM to 10 AM for cont'l items) for warm to maybe hot food, but that's not the same selection. Of course, there's always Haven dining for those upstairs ... :D ;)

Anyone else, feel free to add to the myth/buster's spin on this.

We had the UDP on the Jewel mid April for the 19 day PC cruise. We never had a problem getting into any restaurant. It is probable that a lot of the guest booked the cruise before the UDP perk was offered.

I am on the Epic at the moment.

Every single seat in every speciality restaurant was booked by the end of day 2 (ok, there might have been the odd 5.30 or 10.00 sitting available).

Service in the specialty restaurants is not slow, just inefficient. The sort of service that if you experienced it in a land based restaurant, you wouldn't bother to return.

Mind you, the same poor quality service seems to pervade all the bars and restaurants. Long waits after ordering drinks from waiters, bar staff taking your order, and then serving other people before you.

Edited by insanemagnet

My thoughts in adding to above post, part of the problem is staffing, or lack thereof - at least on the *Away class ships at dining time in specialty - thus empty tables and blocked slots of reservations, as certain wait stations or zones (sections) within these specialty restaurants, Tepp's excluded - are unavailable to anyone, even on a walk-in basis.

This is most definitely true for LeBistro, where we dined there twice this March & last year (where there was no UDP & there's always Platinum members booking there with our perks). There is simply impossible to serve a full dining venue with only a handful of waiter/ess & assistants - and the wine stewards gone - when its capacity is something like 150+ (very approximated) Ditto for Le Cusina. It's no surprise for the average dinner to take 90 minutes to 2 hours and long pauses in between, and sometimes the excuses gone to "backups" in the gallery.

Another way of looking at all these is that - when all the seating capacities are added up for the megaship's speciality restaurants - there is something like 700 to 800 plus chairs for guests, if they can do 2 rounds or turnarounds for seating everyone from 5:30 to 6 PM and then 7:30 or 8 PM - they can, in theory, take care of 1,300 to 1,500 booked reservations, taking into account some no-shows & cancellations. I seriously doubt they sold or "gave" away that many UDP packages or had that many onboard each sailing.

If that is true, the 3 MDR's would be pretty spacious (not empty) plus the buffet and O'Sheehans ... they are not. These "free" restaurants are still pretty busy & packed, waiting time for tables and just slow - in a hurry, it's only the buffet.

Oh, I almost forgot, it's now Feestyle for Room Service (except for 6 AM to 10 AM for cont'l items) for warm to maybe hot food, but that's not the same selection. Of course, there's always Haven dining for those upstairs ... :D ;)

Anyone else, feel free to add to the myth/buster's spin on this.

100% agreed!

With recent changes (food not allow out of restaurants), things will get worst since many will sit longer to finish their desserts, which mking8288 had mentioned before. Can't wait to see how it all played out.

Every single seat in every speciality restaurant was booked by the end of day 2 (ok, there might have been the odd 5.30 or 10.00 sitting available).

Service in the specialty restaurants is not slow, just inefficient. The sort of service that if you experienced it in a land based restaurant, you wouldn't bother to return.

Mind you, the same poor quality service seems to pervade all the bars and restaurants. Long waits after ordering drinks from waiters, bar staff taking your order, and then serving other people before you.

Ocean Blue, it's practically empty all the time, no ?? How's O'Sheehans - it seemed to be among the worst for us on the BA and I had a long "conversation" with the manager on duty, not the hostess about it. Also, not just bitched about it here on CC as I know the drills - wrote NCL about it on the post-cruise e-surveys. It's going to get worst before it getting better, if ever. It's the cutbacks, IMO and has nothing to do with going upscale or improved experience.

I don't mind enjoying a leisure dinner and wait for the entree, if it is going to be served nice & hot, cooked to order - but, it was NOT - just warm. Maybe, management is working on the solutions, I dunno - give them the benefits of the doubts, those waiving the pom poms saying - yeah, I hear ya (just not me, however ... sorry, I don't buy it) (Hint, hint: look at the staff-pax ratios on the mega ships)

Hell, if we are paying the upcharge of almost $50 (or, higher) at a land restaurants and put up with the nonsense - I will walk out and not pay a dime for it, but that's just us. Oh, wait - the meal is really paid for as part of the cruise fares ... we are "captives" so just shut up, sit & wait, it's coming.

"Sir, you are going to finish your dessert here, correct?" "Oh, yes - I will, why not. I need the coffee refilled." "Okay, I will be back with that, shortly." "Sure, I don't mind. I got all night now - we already missed the show without the reservations, too late to find any open seats now"

Hell, no - where do you think we might be going next.

(Footnote/comments - Sailpro, how's this script so far. Peak summer cruise season coming up, I surely glad we won't be onboard) BIL/SIL will be on the Pearl this Sunday, so I will hear from them soon ...

Edited by mking8288

Ocean Blue, it's practically empty all the time, no ?? How's O'Sheehans - it seemed to be among the worst for us on the BA and I had a long "conversation" with the manager on duty, not the hostess about it. Also, not just bitched about it here on CC as I know the drills - wrote NCL about it on the post-cruise e-surveys. It's going to get worst before it getting better, if ever. It's the cutbacks, IMO and has nothing to do with going upscale or improved experience.

I don't mind enjoying a leisure dinner and wait for the entree, if it is going to be served nice & hot, cooked to order - but, it was NOT - just warm. Maybe, management is working on the solutions, I dunno - give them the benefits of the doubts, those waiving the pom poms saying - yeah, I hear ya (just not me, however ... sorry, I don't buy it) (Hint, hint: look at the staff-pax ratios on the mega ships)

Hell, if we are paying the upcharge of almost $50 (or, higher) at a land restaurants and put up with the nonsense - I will walk out and not pay a dime for it, but that's just us. Oh, wait - the meal is really paid for as part of the cruise fares ... we are "captives" so just shut up, sit & wait, it's coming.

"Sir, you are going to finish your dessert here, correct?" "Oh, yes - I will, why not. I need the coffee refilled." "Okay, I will be back with that, shortly." "Sure, I don't mind. I got all night now - we already missed the show without the reservations, too late to find any open seats now"

(Footnote/comments - Sailpro, how's this script so far. Peak summer cruise season coming up, I surely glad we won't be onboard) BIL/SIL will be on the Pearl this Sunday, so I will hear from them soon ...

Very true and 100% agreed!

Make your reservations asap. You can't just walk up to the restaurant at 7:30 and be expected to be seated. Every restaurant was sold out Thursday through Saturday even Ocean Blue. I would leave nothing to chance. We ate in the Haven Thursday-Saturday...great food so not a problem. Our original plan was to eat in the Garden Cafe one night...went to breakfast there and couldn't get out fast enough. It is just like any other ship's buffet. We enjoyed the specialty restaurants as we don't like the food in the MDR of any ship including the upscale lines.

I was just off the Jade and I remember every time I walked past the tv monitor telling you about the wait at specialty restaurants, it was always all red except for like one restaurant at 9:30pm. Fortunately, we were in the Haven so we were able to get concierge to make reservations for us. I still remember we went to Modernos again on day 6 at like 6pm. I recall tv monitor had a red dot for our dining time but yet we were like one of the 3 groups that were there. During dinner, it was still pretty empty and I just thought "OK, I can imagine people (who tried to get Modernos at this time) getting super pissed off that they couldn't dine at this time but yet place is pretty empty.

When I was on the EPIC, we went to Cagneys and I remember it took us 1.5 hrs to finally get out main course. I also remember we never got our drinks (despite ordering them when we first sat down) until half an hr later. Heck, an O'Sheehans waiter was serving us and we didn't even meet our waiter until almost dessert time.

When I was on the Jade recently, I went to deck 12 aft bar and bust out my room key (with soda program) to get diet pepsi. I stood there for like 2 mins before bartender went on to serve someone else that got there after I did.

For me, I have had a few bad experiences with O'Sheehans in which I stood at the podium to be seated but none of the staff acknowledged me. And the shocker here, the place was pretty empty.

For me, I have had a few bad experiences with O'Sheehans in which I stood at the podium to be seated but none of the staff acknowledged me. And the shocker here, the place was pretty empty.

I don't get it. I've never gone into O'Sheehans/Blue Lagoon when the service hasn't been horrible and a lot of review say the same thing. I've also never been in there when it as been crowded, but you have to pull teeth just to get seated, get a server and then the wait for the food, which BTW was not hot, is ridiculous.

I don't get it. I've never gone into O'Sheehans/Blue Lagoon when the service hasn't been horrible and a lot of review say the same thing. I've also never been in there when it as been crowded, but you have to pull teeth just to get seated, get a server and then the wait for the food, which BTW was not hot, is ridiculous.

Interestingly, I do get my food relatively fast but their service can be ehh. When I was on the Epic, I sat overlooking the atrium as they were busy and that's fine. What was not fine was me sitting there for almost 5 mins while a group of ppl sat down and got their orders taken immediately. I was like "gotta be kidding me" and just left. I also remember thinking "Yoo, just cuz I am there by myself doesn't mean I don't deserve basic service." For me when it comes to service, I would feel so much better if the server or bartender says "Hey, I will be right with you" even if they don't mean it. I don't expect the world's greatest service but I really don't like being ignored.

Edited by GoAndHaveFun

So I've been back and forth with wanting to make reservations in specialty restaurants ahead of time and wanting to be spontaneous. The more I'm reading, I think I should go ahead and book the last 3 nights that I don't have any dining plans for just so we're covered. I had already booked dinner on the nights that we have show reservations just to make sure we had a place to eat in time to make our shows.

Slightly OT (but not really)- we are a party of 3 and a few of the specialty rest. only have the option for 2,4,6 people, etc. with different times available based on party size. For those restaurants, should I be booking for 4 (figuring we don't need 1 seat) or should I book for 2 and have to add 1 seat?

So I've been back and forth with wanting to make reservations in specialty restaurants ahead of time and wanting to be spontaneous. The more I'm reading, I think I should go ahead and book the last 3 nights that I don't have any dining plans for just so we're covered. I had already booked dinner on the nights that we have show reservations just to make sure we had a place to eat in time to make our shows.

Slightly OT (but not really)- we are a party of 3 and a few of the specialty rest. only have the option for 2,4,6 people, etc. with different times available based on party size. For those restaurants, should I be booking for 4 (figuring we don't need 1 seat) or should I book for 2 and have to add 1 seat?

You can book for 4 and if you don't have the UDP, you will have to pay for it when you book on line, but when you board the ship, tell them that it is only for 3 and they reimburse you for the 1 in the way of an OBC. If you have a UDP, they won't charge you for any, but do let them know that there will only be three when you get onboard.

You can book for 4 and if you don't have the UDP, you will have to pay for it when you book on line, but when you board the ship, tell them that it is only for 3 and they reimburse you for the 1 in the way of an OBC. If you have a UDP, they won't charge you for any, but do let them know that there will only be three when you get on board.

We do have UDP, so no charge to book. So you think better to book for 4 and show up with 3 vs. booking for 2 and showing up with 3? I figure it's better to have an empty seat at the table rather than them having to add a seat

We do have UDP, so no charge to book. So you think better to book for 4 and show up with 3 vs. booking for 2 and showing up with 3? I figure it's better to have an empty seat at the table rather than them having to add a seat
No charge to book. Make it for 4, not 2, and just tell them when you board the ship (the restaurant reservations desk is at Guest Services) that there will only be 3 on your reservations.

According to the F&B manager on Epic I spoke to yesterday, even if the screens are showing no availability, if you turn up at the restaurant anyway, they *will* find you a table, but you may need to wait up to 15 minutes to be seated.

I tried it yesterday at a solid red no reservations available restaurant, and was instantly seated.

This wasn't on NCL, but on the Oasis the interactive screen that showed the wait times was ALWAYS full red for the Windjammer (Royal's buffet.) It was open for breakfast up to, say, 11 am and then reopened for lunch at 11:30 and we looked at it at 11:31 and it was still full red! We realized that they just kept it showing full red in hopes of dispersing the crowds elsewhere. So NCL may do the same thing and you should perhaps stroll over to the place you'd like to eat to see if you could in fact get seated...