Upgrade After Final Payment

MrBill64

I know this has been discussed a few times in older threads, but I figured I would just post a reminder.

For those waiting for the upsell fairy to call there is another way to upgrade after final payment. Be proactive and go to the NCL web site and price out your upcoming cruise. If you find a better category cabin is now priced cheaper than what you paid, you should be able to call your TA or NCL (depending on who you booked your cruise through) and upgrade to the better cabin at no charge. If that better category cabin is priced a little more than what you have already paid, you can pay the difference and upgrade to that better category cabin. And by upgrading, not rebooking, you will be able to keep all your original promos.

As always, YMMV, but this method has worked for myself and a few others on our upcoming Jade cruise this July. Just make sure you confirm with your TA or NCL that you can keep your original promos after upgrading, as some of the choice promos that were offered earlier this year are much better than the current promos, IMHO.

Bill

I have done this also and kept my ksf promo.:)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Wait... really? I could totally upgrade to a suite if I can keep the ksf promo even if it isn't available on the sailing currently?

Curious how this typically works for old promos vs. new promos? I upgraded recently on NCL Sky .. had booked an inside room and the promo was only a $25 onboard credit. Upgraded to a balcony and got the UBP promo with it and ended up keeping both promos. Is that typical? I assumed if you got the new promo they would get rid of the original one which in my case would have been fine, but I wasn't sure if it was typical to keep both.

I wish I had known how all this worked before my first cruise. I ended up paying an extra $100 because I was indecisive about upgrading from an inside to a balcony for $260. Had I known it included the UPB originally I would have jumped on it. Ended up paying $360 later that day but it was still totally worth it.

Wait... really? I could totally upgrade to a suite if I can keep the ksf promo even if it isn't available on the sailing currently?

When I just upgraded this week I was able to keep both the UDP and UBP promos that were offered on my European cruise that I booked in February (2 choices were allowed for Europe). To the best of my knowledge you keep the promos that you originally booked. But I would confirm with your TA or NCL before upgrading as this could be a YMMV situation.

I have done this as well, going from an inside, working our way up to a mini-suite for a total of $45. It pays to check the website several times a day as it changes that often. Also one day a category will be listed as sold out and later units will open up.

No I have never upgraded to a suite. I have upgraded from balcony to mini suite when the price of my balcony dropped.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I just did this yesterday - I upgraded to the last suite available on our POA cruise leaving this Saturday. I was able to keep my OBC and UDP that I got when I initially booked the cruise in February.

Was just having this very conversation with someone on my roll call, they thought they would lose their promos.

I just upgraded from an inside to a balcony. Now definitely not as cheap as others, but I paid $540. plus got $200. OBC, plus a questionable additional $100. that no-one is answering on a previous post I made, LOL. I'm not complaining... Under $2000. for a balcony on an Alaskan cruise, sure why not!

I updated to a suite within 10 days of a cruise. We went from two balcony cabins to a suite. The suite was a great deal and, and at this point, less than the price of our two balcony rooms. They gave us the suite at the same price we previously paid for the two other rooms with no money back, of course. However, they reduced our OBC to the lower suite price. It took a couple of hours to get this done, so prepare to wait. However, for a little reduction in OBC and a couple of hours, we got a great suite!

I keep checking prices until the ship sails. In 2008 I spotted a flash sale about midnight two weeks out from our cruise. Sent TA email and we upgraded from a balcony to the Royal Suite for $750! This was a 14 day cruise on Celebrity, but all cruise lines work the same way. A few years ago we upgraded from a Grand Suite to the Owners suite and got $2000 of the fare refunded. Total cost of the cruise was $700 pp for the owners suite on RCL.

My advice is to check prices a few times a day after final payment...especially late at night.

Edited by Granny DI

I keep checking prices until the ship sails. In 2008 I spotted a flash sale about midnight two weeks out from our cruise. Sent TA email and we upgraded from a balcony to the Royal Suite for $750! This was a 14 day cruise on Celebrity, but all cruise lines work the same way. A few years ago we upgraded from a Grand Suite to the Owners suite and got $2000 of the fare refunded. Total cost of the cruise was $700 pp for the owners suite on RCL.

My advice is to check prices a few times a day after final payment...especially late at night.

Thanks for the advice. I am a night owl and rarely go to bed before midnight, so I will definitely make sure I check before heading off to bed. It's amazing how fast the rooms go when prices drop. I called my TA early this morning to make the upgrade. At that time, there were 7 spa balconies left. I just checked a little while ago and they are all sold out. Glad I didn't wait t jump on the upgrade!

I read this thread last night, so I went and checked prices. Yes, my room category had dropped. I called NCL and got a choice of a larger room or an $85 on-board credit. I didn't want to lose my large balcony to get a slightly larger room, so I took the credit. One phone call...well worth the time.:)

We sail next week!

Edited by TexasMoogy

How does it work through travel agents? Do they do the calling for you especially if we already got a deal through our TA? Thanks

Yes, that's how it worked for me. I checked the prices and called them and told them the price went down and even though it was after final payment was there anything they could do. They put me on hold and called NCL and then came back to me to let me know what was being offered and whether I wanted to go with it. In my case I went from a balcony to a mini suite and although I don't gain too much extra space at least it was something (even though OBC for the price difference would've been more interesting to me, I still took what was being offered).

I know this has been discussed a few times in older threads, but I figured I would just post a reminder.

For those waiting for the upsell fairy to call there is another way to upgrade after final payment. Be proactive and go to the NCL web site and price out your upcoming cruise. If you find a better category cabin is now priced cheaper than what you paid, you should be able to call your TA or NCL (depending on who you booked your cruise through) and upgrade to the better cabin at no charge. If that better category cabin is priced a little more than what you have already paid, you can pay the difference and upgrade to that better category cabin. And by upgrading, not rebooking, you will be able to keep all your original promos.

As always, YMMV, but this method has worked for myself and a few others on our upcoming Jade cruise this July. Just make sure you confirm with your TA or NCL that you can keep your original promos after upgrading, as some of the choice promos that were offered earlier this year are much better than the current promos, IMHO.

Bill

We have done this several times, just a month ago we were upgraded from an outside to a balcony. The only disadvantage, you may end up in a location that isn't ideal for you. This did happen to us. We originally had book mid ship and ended up forwrd. It wasn't the end of the world by any means.

As exciting as it would be to get this elusive upsell email,I am checking fares on our 6/14 Pearl sailing daily. Sure enough,they are dropping. Twice that I've seen in the last week or so.

If it drops as much as tomorrow's sailing did,we could afford our balcony after all! After paying less than $2,000 total for a cat OA with UBP, I couldn't justify paying almost double for the balcony,but it sure would be a nice surprise for my wife if I pull this off :)

How does it work through travel agents? Do they do the calling for you especially if we already got a deal through our TA? Thanks

Your travel agent has to call NCL. I used to have a wonderful agent who left the company I use. My new agent is OK, but everything I ask her to do is too much work for her. Fortunately, the large online travel agency she works for has people to take the calls when my travel agent is not working. The call center people were absolutely wonderful when we upgraded to the suite. They even corrected some things she had put on the invoice.