Rules on Pregency

balenjim

I read on the Carnival web site that a person who is 27 weeks will not be able to cruise. I am booked on the Inspiration for the 15 December sailing. This is a four day cruise.

My daughter-in-law will be 26 weeks on the day after we sail. My question is does Carnival require some documentation or letter from the doctor.

If anyone has had any experience with this I would appreaciate some feedback. I have contacted my TA to ask her but she is out of town for a couple of days and my son and daughter-in-law are very concerned about the situation.

Thanks

I don't know what the policy is, I know that is what you were asking, but here is my 2 cents. 26 weeks is a viable age if born in a facility equipped for stabilizing a premie. I seriously doubt cruise ships have the necessary equipment or staff to deal with a premie. Granted, most pregnancies do not result in preterm labor but if it were me I don't think I'd take the chance.

Personally, I wouldn't go if I were her, I thought about this a great deal for myself. I was considering trying to convince my finace to start trying for a baby soon, but we decided that it would be much better to wait until after our cruise simply because I do not want to be outside of the country if I'm even a couple of weeks pregnant. Think about the countries that she'll be going to, and have her ask her self some questions like do these countries have the medical standards that we do here, if for some reason she does go into labor in one of these places, does she want to have to stay in that place for a couple of months because they normally will not transport an infant who is born premature, they prefer to keep it in the same hospital until they are sure the baby is ready to be discharged. I don't mean to sound harsh about other countries, I am very much looking forward to going on my cruise and visiting other places. I just think that she needs to really think about some things. Again, these are just my own thoughts, not trying to offend anyone.

Personally, I wouldn't go if I were her, I thought about this a great deal for myself. I was considering trying to convince my finace to start trying for a baby soon, but we decided that it would be much better to wait until after our cruise simply because I do not want to be outside of the country if I'm even a couple of weeks pregnant.

I was going to post something similar but instead i'll just agree with Keahi!

Yeah, we've wanted to try for a baby this year but we have very deliberately put off trying until after our cruise (or on our cruise, bow-chicka-bow bow) because I do not want to be on a ship in the middle of the ocean if something were to happen pregnancy-related.

It's also for that reason we've held off on booking with any of the CC Group cruises right now, becuase they would fall in the middle of a pregnancy if we're lucky enough to get pregnant right away.

I wouldn't go if I were 26 weeks pregnant, though. There's so much you just can't do, besides the other risks.

Ok if this is her first pregnancy she might want to consider waiting. I know, I know. It's a heartbreaking decision. 12% of all babies born in the US are pre-term, that's been posted. Well meet Mrs. 100%. Yep, three babies all pre-term. All viable *IF* we had a level three NICU for them. Two of them had this and they are fine now (after weeks of time in the NICU and some life and death moments). My first son was born in a hospital without a NICU. They could not save him. I know that she wants to cruise and I will support your choice. I understand how much you need a vacation when you are pregnant! I didn't know, with my little Ben, that I gave birth too early. That I would always have this problem and that I would not have my sweet little boy to hold.

I know most people don't go through this so it is easy to think it will not happen to you but it happens and I want you to know someone posts to the boards that has preemies and has seen both the wonder of modern medicine and what can happen without it.

My good friend is sailing this week on a Carnival ship and she is pregnant with her third child. I didn't do the calculations but I know that she is due in late Decemeber. She mentioned this to Carnival when the reservations were made and they required her to present written authorization from her doctor at embarkation.

Her and her husband's decision to travel at this time was partially based on the fact that their first two children were full-term natural births with zero complications.

:) Other factors included that their family suite was entirely paid for by a family member that funded a much larger family reunion. :)

Just my 2 cents and a humble opinion. Carnival says she can't travel after 27 weeks. She won't be 27 weeks. So if you question is simply 'can' she. Yes, that's pretty clear. Now, does she want to?

You heard from a poster who had only premmies. I personally went 6 or more days late each time (3x). So, me, I'd go, and not think twice. But you're reading the post of a woman who didn't give birth at home only because it is illegal to do so in MD. Had it not been, I would've. I personally believe ppl are pregnant when pregnant, not sick, not disabled, not weak, not breakable. :)

If her doc oks it. And if she is having a healthy pregnancy, and understands the risks *if* on the off chance something happnes while at sea, then it is up to her, as Carnival's rules say she can go. Maybe a back up plan, such as some research on the countries and the ships capabilities and such. Could they fly her in a moment's notice if she was to go into labor, etc.

So, as you see from the posts here, it is a personal decision. The rules are not against you. What you (or your daughter in law as it is) needs to decide is how comfortable she will be with the decision made to travel, if that is indeed what she decides. To go and worry the whole time would be good for no one involved, of course.

Hope she goes and enjoys!

Jules

I would also make sure they purchased cruise insurance that covered pre existing conditions... God forbid anything happen, but a medical evac will cost $10K to $50K... you just never know what could happen... with sickness outbreaks, being in foreign countries, etc... better to be safe than sorry. Good luck

I read on the Carnival web site that a person who is 27 weeks will not be able to cruise. I am booked on the Inspiration for the 15 December sailing. This is a four day cruise.

My daughter-in-law will be 26 weeks on the day after we sail. My question is does Carnival require some documentation or letter from the doctor.

If anyone has had any experience with this I would appreaciate some feedback. I have contacted my TA to ask her but she is out of town for a couple of days and my son and daughter-in-law are very concerned about the situation.

Thanks

There is some great advice on here so far, but one thing that I have not read that is critical is HAVE YOUR DIL TALK TO HER DOCTOR! When I was expecting, my doc advised me not to go to our beach house 3 hours away once I was in my third trimester. Why? - because they did not have the same quality of medical care I could get at home. I did not deliver early, but my peace of mind was better knowing I wouldn't chance it. Bottom line is, her doctor will give her the best advice. If she does miss the cruise, it will be slightly disappointing, but once she is holding her healthy, happy baby, she will forget all about missing one vacation!! Best of luck!

Tresa

The best advice is the advice from her OB. I tried every trick in the book to beat my due dates - but nothing would make those boys come out any earlier. :eek: This needs to be a decision made by your DDIL and her physician.

Congratulations to the grandparents-to-be!

I personally believe ppl are pregnant when pregnant, not sick, not disabled, not weak, not breakable. :)

If her doc oks it. And if she is having a healthy pregnancy, and understands the risks *if* on the off chance something happnes while at sea, then it is up to her, as Carnival's rules say she can go. Maybe a back up plan, such as some research on the countries and the ships capabilities and such. Could they fly her in a moment's notice if she was to go into labor, etc.

I completely agree!!!

I would go if it were me. I would defientely ask my OB though. I would get the insurance and as long as she doesn't have any signs or symptoms by the time the cruise leaves, (ie any contractions/cramping/bleeding) Then I would go.

Is is safe to get pregnant on a cruise?

It sure is, We got pregnant on our cruise 12/01!!! The Maitre D' came up to our table the first night and asked us if we had any children and we said no, he said, "maybe on this cruise?" we said no, ha ha little did we know he was right!!!

My favorite aunt, who had thirteen children, went to the hospital very early in the morning, delivered what was her twelfth child, and was home in time to have supper on the table for my uncle when he got home from work. So, I figure she'd probably go. :) ;)

It's safe to get pregnant on a cruise but I BETTER NOT! Are you reading this dear? (he reads but does not post). I BETTER NOT OR SOMEONE IS SWIMMING WITH THE FISHES!! lol!!!! You would never guess from those babies of mine that I was diagnosed infertile by four doctors. I fall into 12% a lot (12% of babies are pre-term and 12% of women diagnosed infertile go on to concieve. Maybe 12 should be a lottery number for me?).

My best friend did not listen to the advice of her OB, went on vacation - only to North Carolina (450 miles from home) when she was 30 weeks. She went into pre term labor. Long story short- she spent 8 weeks in and near the hospital. Two weeks in the hospital and 6 weeks going back and forth to NICU, caring for preemie son. Because of previous problems during pregnancy, I will not go more that an hour from home after my first trimester. Luckily we have a nice resort less that an hour away- so I can still get away for a little rest!

A close friend is scheduled to cruise in a few weeks when she will be 32 weeks along. She has an OB who is willing to certify in wrtiting that she is <27 weeks along :eek:, and she is still planning to sail as scheduled.

She is a pediatrician and her husband is a surgeon, and she had no complications with first pregnancy/delivery. These facts heavily influenced her decision to go despite her due date.

I'll stand with the group that says your DIL needs to talk with her OB. DH and I cancelled a cruise when I was pregnant and boy a I glad we did! It turns out that I went into pre-term labor in the middle of what would have been our 11 day cruise! Several of our family members went without us and our son was still hospitalized when they returned home.

The good news is that he is now almost four months old and has finally reached average size for his age.

She is a pediatrician and her husband is a surgeon, and she had no complications with first pregnancy/delivery. These facts heavily influenced her decision to go despite her due date.

Just goes to show you even the so called "educated" are dumber than a box of rocks.

I had no complications with our first, but with my 2nd, she was born 10 weeks early. With our first, I worked up unti the day she was born with no problems at all. To have our 2nd so early was a shock. The 3rd daughter was 7 weeks early.

These "doctors" are idiots.

Archived