Hiking in Geiranger

Hi,

We will be at Geiranger port for the day from 9 AM to 8:30 PM. We are already taking the bus tour to Mt. Dalsnibba and Flydalsjuvet at 12:30 PM. I'd like to do some hiking or walking around Geiranger afterwards as we are fortunate to have some time until the ship leaves. For an average hiker, how long would it take to hike to the Vesteråsfjellet viewpoint from the Geiranger pier? Is the viewpoint worth the effort after visiting what is arguably the best viewpoints in Geiranger ( Mt. Dalsnibba and Flydalsjuvet)? I also considered doing an easy walk along the water at the pier as well. Another option I considered is a taxi to Vesteras farm and then walking to Storesetter falls. Is it fairly easy to get a taxi at the pier and how expensive would it be? Lastly, does anyone know the length of the Waterfall path by Hotel Union? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Howard

Hi' date='

We will be at Geiranger port for the day from 9 AM to 8:30 PM. We are already taking the bus tour to Mt. Dalsnibba and Flydalsjuvet at 12:30 PM. I'd like to do some hiking or walking around Geiranger afterwards as we are fortunate to have some time until the ship leaves. For an average hiker, how long would it take to hike to the Vesteråsfjellet viewpoint from the Geiranger pier? Is the viewpoint worth the effort after visiting what is arguably the best viewpoints in Geiranger ( Mt. Dalsnibba and Flydalsjuvet)? I also considered doing an easy walk along the water at the pier as well. Another option I considered is a taxi to Vesteras farm and then walking to Storesetter falls. Is it fairly easy to get a taxi at the pier and how expensive would it be? Lastly, does anyone know the length of the Waterfall path by Hotel Union? Thanks for any help you can offer!

Howard[/quote']

Hiking the path (not the road) from the pier to Westerås farm you should allow 45 minutes as its very steep. Usually its said you use 30 minutes but I would allow some extra time.

The viewpoint is wonderful. You get a vista from a different perspective.

I think the main drag is the hike itself then the viewpoint is an added bonus.

Hiking to Storseterfossen takes 1 hr each way.

Depending on how busy the port is it can sometime be difficult to get taxis at the pier.

The best would be to prebook Geiranger Taxi.

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Kontakt-oss.aspx

The Waterfall walk from Hotel Union to the pier will take you 30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Lars

Hiking the path (not the road) from the pier to Westerås farm you should allow 45 minutes as its very steep. Usually its said you use 30 minutes but I would allow some extra time.

The viewpoint is wonderful. You get a vista from a different perspective.

I think the main drag is the hike itself then the viewpoint is an added bonus.

Hiking to Storseterfossen takes 1 hr each way.

Depending on how busy the port is it can sometime be difficult to get taxis at the pier.

The best would be to prebook Geiranger Taxi.

http://www.geirangertaxi.no/en-GB/Kontakt-oss.aspx

The Waterfall walk from Hotel Union to the pier will take you 30 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Lars

Hi Lars,

This is great information. I've seen your previous posts to other fellow travelers. You've been helpful to many people.

So the hike to Storseterfossen takes 1 hour each way from the pier? What would be the approximate hiking time just to Westerås farm? I ask because maybe we hike to Storseterfossen and then return to the farm and go to the Vesteråsfjellet viewpoint. Maybe too ambitious to visit both, but it's good to know your options.

Thanks,

Howard

Hi Lars' date='

This is great information. I've seen your previous posts to other fellow travelers. You've been helpful to many people.

So the hike to Storseterfossen takes 1 hour each way from the pier? What would be the approximate hiking time just to Westerås farm? I ask because maybe we hike to Storseterfossen and then return to the farm and go to the Vesteråsfjellet viewpoint. Maybe too ambitious to visit both, but it's good to know your options.

Thanks,

Howard[/quote']

The 1 hr hike to Storseterfossen is from Westerås farm.

I would not try to cram to much into the day. Hiking from the pier to Westerås, then the view point and the Storseterfossen might be a bit to much.

The hike is almost all uphill the entire way. I dont know how used you are to hiking but these hikes are very strenuous.

I think you should choose either:

Pier to Westerås and the viewpoint

or

Westerås to Storseterfossen.

If times allows you can walk down from Westerås farm to the pier direct or via the Waterfall walk.

Thank you so much for your kind comments.

Edited by I-Cruiser

In case you haven't already got it, there's a decent hiking brochure / map available here: http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/ImageVaultFiles/id_6999/d_1/cf_84/Hiking_routes_Geiranger.pdf

Much depends on how fit you are, but I would say that 45-60 minutes from the pier to the Westerås farm (and vice versa) is a realistic estimate. It can be busy and it can be muddy, and both of these things could slow you down. Obviously, if you're fit and you power hike it, it can be done rather faster.

Thank you for responding. I do already have this useful map. Lars, I will take your advice and not cram both spots. I am guessing that the viewpoint is not far from the farm unlike the falls, otherwise you would have mentioned it.

Howard

Thank you for responding. I do already have this useful map. Lars' date=' I will take your advice and not cram both spots. I am guessing that the viewpoint is not far from the farm unlike the falls, otherwise you would have mentioned it.

Howard[/quote']

Howard, the viewpoint is 15-20 minute walk from Westerås.

As active hikers experienced with Norwegian trails, the first time I did the hike up to Vesterås farm, it took us around 40 minutes. From there we went on to Storseterfossen, which took us just under an hour each way. The hike to Storseter is not particularly scenic, and when we were there, it was incredibly muddy.

Honestly, I though the waterfall was a bit disappointing, so I would recommend the hikes to Vesteråsfjellet or Løsta over the one to Storseter. (We spent our full port call hiking, so we managed to make it to Løsta after Storseter, but we were jogging part of the way to make it back in time. And we ended up so muddy that we threw our shoes directly into the shower as soon as we reached the cabin!)

The second time I was in port with my parents, whose days of 12-mile day-hikes are over. It took us a little over an hour to get up to Vesterås farm and almost as much time to get back down. On that visit we just walked over to Vesteråsfjellet, which is an easy walk from the farm and took 15-20 minutes each way. The view from there was quite nice and not too much different from the one at Løsta.

As active hikers experienced with Norwegian trails, the first time I did the hike up to Vesterås farm, it took us around 40 minutes. From there we went on to Storseterfossen, which took us just under an hour each way. The hike to Storseter is not particularly scenic, and when we were there, it was incredibly muddy.

Honestly, I though the waterfall was a bit disappointing, so I would recommend the hikes to Vesteråsfjellet or Løsta over the one to Storseter. (We spent our full port call hiking, so we managed to make it to Løsta after Storseter, but we were jogging part of the way to make it back in time. And we ended up so muddy that we threw our shoes directly into the shower as soon as we reached the cabin!)

The second time I was in port with my parents, whose days of 12-mile day-hikes are over. It took us a little over an hour to get up to Vesterås farm and almost as much time to get back down. On that visit we just walked over to Vesteråsfjellet, which is an easy walk from the farm and took 15-20 minutes each way. The view from there was quite nice and not too much different from the one at Løsta.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your personal hiking experience at Vesteras. I was planning to visit Vesterasfjellet over Storseter. We are going to Geiranger to visit the fjord and I don't think we'll get tired of viewing it. Last year, we traveled to the Columbia Gorge in Oregon, where we hiked behind a waterfall, similar to Storseter. It is a unique experience and I don't get tired of waterfalls either, but you have to pick your pleasures, otherwise it becomes only a list. I'm also planning to eat some waffles and jam at the farm as my reward for the hike.

Best,

Howard

• 8 years later...