Viking's Next Ship Delayed Because of Koningsdam?

InTheWASide

Came across an article the other night and it sounds like the change up in Viking's launch order for Viking Sea and Viking Sky may be because of an additional delay with Koningsdam beyond the initial 6-8 weeks.

Here's what I found:

Viking Star, the first ocean ship to sail under the Viking Cruises flag, has not even been officially christened, but the company’s president, Tor Hagen, is already looking forward to a fleet of 10.

That’s even allowing for a setback that means he will only be launching one new ship next year instead of the two originally planned.

Speaking during a tour of Viking Star in the Mediterranean, he blamed the construction delays affecting Holland America’s Koningsdam in a shipyard in Italy for the postponement of Viking Sky.

“We will have to accept that because Koningsdam has been hugely delayed, there will be only one new Viking Oceans ship next year, but there will be two in 2017 and I want to see 10 by 2020,” he said, adding: “I’m an old man in a hurry.”

The reason I'm thinking maybe there are more delays is because 6-8 weeks in the scheme of a new class of cruise ship isn't small but it's also not something I would call "hugely delayed"... also on a separate note it's just interesting that another cruise line owner is just openly calling out another brand like that but Hagen isn't exactly known to be a quiet guy...

Not sure he's all that great a businessman either. Throwing that much inventory into a soft market?

I think 10 in half a decade is absurd but the reviews of Viking Star have been beyond glowing so far... the ships have me highly intrigued and I'm perfectly content cruising with HAL/Celebrity and don't really have a need to go further "up market". That this new ship has caught my attention speaks volumes

Edited by InTheWASide

Yes, the ship itself is getting stellar reviews in the press. However, what is more telling is how the inaugural cruise passengars are being treated and communicated to (or not) on this maiden voyage.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2210313

I've booked a cruise on the Star for 2016 so I'm watching this with interest.

Yes, the ship itself is getting stellar reviews in the press. However, what is more telling is how the inaugural cruise passengars are being treated and communicated to (or not) on this maiden voyage.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2210313

I've booked a cruise on the Star for 2016 so I'm watching this with interest.

I had seen that thread as well. Definitely disappointing but I feel they have offered more than reasonable compensation although the disappointment would still remain.