Skagway too much

squeeky336

I am on 2 cruises hat both come to Skagway.. I have a tour to the Yukon to Caracross booked on the second stop.. but I would like suggestions of what to see the whole town on the shorter stop that is the week before.. I know you can walk the town in 2 hours.. but I am unsure is Lairsville is worth the trip or what.. also thinking about the Soapy Smith show. or Klondike gold fields.. any ideas? there are 4 ships there that day.. how best to avoid the crowds to?

Edited by squeeky336

Visit the Klondike Goldrush NP to learn about the history of the area ... fascinating stuff, and time your visit for a ranger-led walk. (there's a similar exhibit in Seattle, also free)

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/index.htm

Then walk out to the Goldrush Cemetary where some of those characters are buried. At the edge of the cemetery there's a trail to Lower Reid Falls. Instead of walking you can rent a bike or take the town bus (all day pass $5). Read about hikes and other info on the town web site:

http://skagway.com/

thank you for the info

SO would you say to do the ranger tour of the National Park and graveyard is better than going to that Klondike gold rush camp? I was the video of it and it seems a bit of a tourist trap

or do you recommend it?

i was thinking if i did the ranger tour i would hae time to see the Red Onion Salloon and the Soap SMith show. I also want to do a little shopping and go to the quilting and the book store

Michelle

Haven't done the 'camp' excursion so I can't offer a comment. The video looks pretty hokey but that doesn't mean it won't be fun. If it's Liarsville, use the search function above and see what past threads come up when you enter the word liarsville. Sometimes reading other people's perspective helps with a decision. I did the gold panning in Fairbanks one year ... it was staged and hokey but it was still a lot of fun.

In Skagway I did the National Park, cemetery and Falls trail .... very interesting and enjoyable.

I don't shop when I'm on vacation so I sure can't help you there.

I know it's aprox. 2 miles to Cemetery and Falls trail...could you guess aprox. about how long it would take to walk there and back stopping a little at each site. Hopefully we can fit it in and still be able to hang out in town for awhile after our tour. Thank you.

I know it's aprox. 2 miles to Cemetery and Falls trail...could you guess aprox. about how long it would take to walk there and back stopping a little at each site. Hopefully we can fit it in and still be able to hang out in town for awhile after our tour. Thank you.

I thought there was a bus or something there to take you that far out:(

I thought there was a bus or something there to take you that far out:(

no, the SMART bus could take you to 22nd St. and then you could walk the rest, maybe about half the total distance.

How long does it take you to walk a mile? add maybe 50% more time, for the stops.

I suggest- if going there- hit the Park Service first and get passes for the first walking tour, at 9am, opens at 8am. This information will enhance your Skagway visit.

I too though the Soapy Smith show, well done and a worthwhile opportunity.

no, the SMART bus could take you to 22nd St. and then you could walk the rest, maybe about half the total distance.

Is the national Park and the Soap Smith Show better than going to Liarsville?

I hear the gold panning is sort of fake..

Is the national Park and the Soap Smith Show better than going to Liarsville?

I hear the gold panning is sort of fake..

Not "sort of" it is- seeded (fake). ;)

People do like Liarsville, which is a recreated "theatrical' gold camp. The salmon bake, has been good in the past.

Not "sort of" it is- seeded (fake). ;)

People do like Liarsville, which is a recreated "theatrical' gold camp. The salmon bake, has been good in the past.

That sounds s like and expensive fake.. I have seen videos where ppl get a little gold dust.. But what do you do with it? I am sure it is not enough to make any jewelry out of it..

What about the show? is the Soapy Smith or the Liarsville entertainment better?

Edited by squeeky336

That sounds s like and expensive fake.. I have seen videos where ppl get a little gold dust.. But what do you do with it? I am sure it is not enough to make any jewelry out of it..

What about the show? is the Soapy Smith or the Liarsville entertainment better?

There are some "jewelry" making options.

Liarsville, is the gold panning, salmon bake, character actors etc, where the Soapy Smith show is a a single theater event.

Both equally worthwhile for those with the interest in these activities.

I did gold panning in Fairbanks, not Skagway, but it's probably organized the same or very similar. Fake, sure, but it was still fun. They will have an option for you to buy a pendant or earrings with your gold dust inside. Something like this:

mvvFT9HBWwYLjNWFKwFvU0Q.jpg

I combined mine and my husband's gold dust in one of those pendants, I think it's cute, I wear it a lot.

That sounds s like and expensive fake.. I have seen videos where ppl get a little gold dust.. But what do you do with it? I am sure it is not enough to make any jewelry out of it.
You wet your fingers, dab, and then put what flakes you have into a bag. If it's not seeded, I know kids would be really bored trying to find anything bright.

If you want real gold panning experience... head to Hope (2hrs East of Vancouver).

http://hopebc.ca/come-and-play/gold-panning/

You wet your fingers, dab, and then put what flakes you have into a bag. If it's not seeded, I know kids would be really bored trying to find anything bright.

If you want real gold panning experience... head to Hope (2hrs East of Vancouver).

http://hopebc.ca/come-and-play/gold-panning/

thank you for the recommendation.. after what i have seen online i can tell gold panning is sort of a touristy thing that some ppl like.. i am more a history buff.. in Vancouver I am going to Richmond to see the Asian market and food and Grouse Mountain..

From what i can see the Liarsville thing is a show that also offers gold panning.. what I was trig to actually figure out was if the show and experience at Lairaville was better than the Soapy Smith Show in town and get dinner someplace there.. I don't have time for both as i was trying to choose between the 2.

So much to choose from so little time.. ;)