Getaway - Pregnant wife so go for UDP or UBP ?

weebobby

Hi,

I am looking at booking the June 27th departure on Getaway (first ever cruise).

My wife will be pregnant so will we get better value out of Drinks or Dining package ( currently being offered free with bookings )

The drinks package seems a no brainer but with the wife only drinking maybe water , soft drinks , fruit juices , smoothies etc and I will drink less due to her not drinking i am wondering if the dining is better ?

We would definitely like to eat in some of the restaurants however with the dining I have read you want to book you need to book in advance which seems a pain... Booking our diners now takes the enjoyment out of flexibility. So perhaps better with the drinks package and maybe 3/4 nights book a specialty restaurant when on the ship ? (subject to availability)

Thanks

The Getaway is a beautiful ship and great crew. We were on her about a year ago and have her booked again. However, I do remember the specialty restaurants were much more busy than those on the smaller ships. We booked them on board. However, the dining times were not as available as I had anticipated. I'm like you and don't want to be tied to a firm schedule always. I still would probably just take the chance of booking on board, realizing I might not get my prefered times. I hope you really enjoy you first cruise.

roger thanks for the replies.

yes i would prefer to book on the day when i know how i feel. if i see a restaurant i like and there is no availability perhaps book it for the following night etc . Or book for an early/late time. I realy dont want to book now for a set time when i have no idea what food i will fancy or time i want to eat !!!

I'd go ahead and do the UBP. If you were purchasing these, the price of 1 UBP is more than the price of 2 UDPs, so you are still getting a better dollar value, assuming you'd use it to full potential. She won't have to pay for sodas or virgin frozen drinks, and you can drink for 2 if you wish. :-) If you choose to eat a few nights at specialty restaurants, paying as you go, you might still come out ahead over what you'd spend for the week on alcohol if you were paying as you go.

Sounds like you made the decision to sail the Getaway. Since your wife won't be allowed to do that many excursions due to her pregnancy I would do the UBP since you might find yourself on the ship more often than not. Plus that way you don't feel that you HAVE to dine at a specialty in order to get the value of the promo.

My wife will be pregnant so will we get better value out of Drinks or Dining package ( currently being offered free with bookings )

The drinks package seems a no brainer but with the wife only drinking maybe water , soft drinks , fruit juices , smoothies etc and I will drink less due to her not drinking i am wondering if the dining is better ?

We would definitely like to eat in some of the restaurants however with the dining I have read you want to book you need to book in advance which seems a pain... Booking our diners now takes the enjoyment out of flexibility. So perhaps better with the drinks package and maybe 3/4 nights book a specialty restaurant when on the ship ? (subject to availability)

Thanks

I think for your first cruise you will be better off doing a specialty restaurant or two, and reserve them when you're on the boat (or just show up, there seems there's usually space). You will want to try out the Main Dining Rooms and the Buffet (just to see what they're like, remember most meals on board are eaten in them). Unless you're doing specialty dining almost every night (at least 5 of 7 days) it can be hard to get full value from UDP, or you'll have to eat in the most expensive venue (Cagney's, in which case you have to hit it 4 times, minimum). There are likely going to be times when you would really rather just chill with some snacks or get a light meal at the buffet -- not everybody can churn through 3 or 4 course meals, night after night!

I think you and your wife will be able to drink $280 worth of alcohol (and non-alcoholic drinks) in the week, and that's all you'll have to do to make UBP "pay" more than UDP.

Edited by Cruise4Real

hi wichitastatecruiser

yeah i think i'm going for the getaway in an angled balcony room , taking the UBP, which works out at 726 British Pounds each through VivaVoyage. Will pick and choose and pay the extra for the speciality restaurants on a couple of nights

I will get back to the original Glory vs Getaway vs Oasis forum when I have paid and let them know which i chose!

We will get off the ship on port days but the activities will be "take it easy" ones !

Edited by weebobby

yes thanks I am going to speak to NCL beforehand.

I am aware of the 24 week rule, she will be in her 20th/21st week on the ship.

Be sure to bring a letter from her doctor stating exactly how far along she is. The cruise lines do not always ask to see it but you should have that letter if they ask.

Your wife may enjoy having mocktails...... she could have the 'umbrella drinks' made without alcohol.

A virgin piña colada cost us $5.31 in April... You can do the math and see how many of those she would need to drink... We did the UDP for the next cruise we booked. Because I think that it makes more sense, we will pay less out of pocket for alcohol (we bring soda and vitamin water on board with us), then the specialty restaraunts for the 3 of us.

I'm pregnant and will be in my 20th week when we cruise in June too :)

We will be on the Breakaway though. I decided to pass on the UBP. When pregnant I am extra careful about sodium and calories so I tend to mostly drink water. I don't avoid caffiene completely but the UBP just wasn't going to be worth it for me. Is your wife mostly drinking water now or is she liking other types of drinks? Since she'll be farther along then and it will be hotter out, she might be only into water and limited other drinks by the time you cruise to avoid swollen feet. Everyone is different but I just thought I'd give you the pregnant chick's take on things at 5 months pregnant, instead of the best deal viewpoint others are giving you (which is all good advice too, just thought I'd give my 2 cents) :)

ETA: I'm sure you already know this but make sure you email the "fit to travel" letter from her OB to the ncl access desk email address PRIOR TO your date of departure. That was the advice given by my TA, as told to her my NCL directly. Then you can print out or show the check in person the confirmation email from NCL access desk in case there is any question or issue when you're checking in on the date of embarkation.

Edited by mobu2015

I'm confused....I thought the UBP was over with and they are offering UDP, free Wi-Fi, shore excursions or OBC?

I THINK OP is booking out of UK - often different offers.

I was excited to see the drink package back, but can't find it on the website, so that's my assumption. Of course you know what they say about assuming.:D

Hi

In the end after much debate I have decided to book later today through Viva Voyage the Getaway for June 27th. Price has come down to just over $900 each for a balcony cabin for the two of us (one of the angled balconies ) including the free drinks package.

Thanks for all your help which combined allowed me to make a decision

Weebobby