Disapointted

I don't let the level of dress define the menu or the menu define the level of dress. Food is not inherently "formal" or "informal." I've had McDonald's in black tie, and I've had Beef Wellington in shorts & t-shirts.

There is nothing "informal" about tortellini, just as there is nothing "formal" abut steamed lobster. In fact, I'd really rather the lobster on an informal night, because it has a greater tendency to drip and formal clothing is usually complicated to clean, while more casual clothing can be machine washed and dried.

The point is that formal is supposed to be better food. Cheese tortellini is not better food. It's cheap and can be found for $5 at the store. It shouldn't be passed off as something formal. There are many folks that pay a lot for cruises. If I paid $500 for a two week cruise I'd be happy with cheap pasta.

Edited by cruz chic

Exactly.

And it is not just the food. It is the whole enchilada...most especially the service or lack of it. The only thing that seems special to us these days is the place settings. We don't need to pack formal clothes and travel thousands of miles to dress up to enjoy that....we can do it much closer to home.

But who wants to dress up for poorly prepared Tortellini cum Kraft Dinner? Lime Jello for dessert anyone?

Edited by iancal

I don't let the level of dress define the menu or the menu define the level of dress ... There is nothing "informal" about tortellini, just as there is nothing "formal" abut steamed lobster...

IMO you are spot on ... anyone who has had tortellini at a really good restaurant knows that it can be "better food" and, depending on the restaurant, can also be "formal".

Exactly.

And it is not just the food. It is the whole enchilada...most especially the service or lack of it. The only thing that seems special to us these days is the place settings. We don't need to pack formal clothes and travel thousands of miles to dress up to enjoy that....we can do it much closer to home.

But who wants to dress up for poorly prepared Tortellini cum Kraft Dinner? Lime Jello for dessert anyone?

Exactly. Some people get it, some don't. I was always one that enjoyed formal nights and always made a point to go. Now I'm really considering skipping them. I never thought I would ever say that.

Exactly. Some people get it, some don't. I was always one that enjoyed formal nights and always made a point to go. Now I'm really considering skipping them. I never thought I would ever say that.

We ordered in our cabin on the second "formal night". We never do that. They did get the order right.

We ordered in our cabin on the second "formal night". We never do that. They did get the order right.

I had fluid on my ears on my November cruise and it was torture to go to the MDR one night. I had dinner on the balcony and really enjoyed it. I will definitely consider that again. I went to Canaletto on my last cruise on the first formal. I'm not a fan of it generally but it was much better than anything that was served on formal night. I had veal 2 nights and fish the other. I don't do cheap pasta.

We eat Italian food often.

I hardly think there is much of a comparison between tortellini, or any other great Italian dish, from a good Italian restaurant and that which is on the menu of a formal night dinner in the MDR on a cruise ship.

Most especially the tortellini that was described by the OP above.

Edited by iancal

We eat Italian food often.

I hardly think there is much of a comparison between tortellini, or any other great Italian dish, from a good Italian restaurant and that which is on the menu of a formal night dinner in the MDR on a cruise ship.

Most especially the tortellini that was described by the OP above.

Agree 100%. For the most part food on a cruise ship is banquet food. To suggest otherwise sets up unreasonable expectations. That said, I think the tamarind does asian food really well and we have many good asian restaraunts in Calgary.

... I hardly think there is much of a comparison between tortellini, or any other great Italian dish, from a good Italian restaurant and that which is on the menu of a formal night dinner in the MDR on a cruise ship...

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this ... but then I wasn't the one who stated that "formal is supposed to be better food. Cheese tortellini is not better food. It's cheap and can be found for $5 at the store. It shouldn't be passed off as something formal." As several others have pointed out, tortellini can be "better food" and, in any event, does not define a dinner as "formal" or "informal" - that is a function of the setting ...

For the most part food on a cruise ship is banquet food. To suggest otherwise sets up unreasonable expectations.

I have to agree with this post. On a recent Maasdam cruise, Both my wife and I got the impression that more emphasis was being placed on "presentation" rather than "quality of preparation." Quick example: rack of lamb so tough it defied chewing, but the appearance of the plated meal was a masterpiece. Too bad it didn't taste as good as it looked. Even worse, this was the case with many of the meals in the MDR. Reminded me of the New year's Eve banquet at the lodge.:(

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this ... but then I wasn't the one who stated that "formal is supposed to be better food. Cheese tortellini is not better food. It's cheap and can be found for $5 at the store. It shouldn't be passed off as something formal." As several others have pointed out, tortellini can be "better food" and, in any event, does not define a dinner as "formal" or "informal" - that is a function of the setting ...

So you'd be ok with spam or hot dogs for formal night as long as the MDR looks good?

Edited by cruz chic

So you'd be ok with spam or hot dogs for formal night as long as the MDR looks good?

If they served spaghetti carbonara would you complain that you can make your own cheap spaghetti with Prego dumped on it at home? Or that risotto is nothing more than the rice you make at home with cream of mushroom soup in a can?

I suppose someone might describe a good bratwurst or andouille as a "hot dog".

Whether cheese tortellini is "cheap food" or not depends on the cheese, the pasta, the sauce, whatever else it might be dressed with, as well as the quality of the preparation. Is the filling done well without having the cheese get grainy or lumpy?

Lobster was at one point considered trash food, fit only for the servants and those who couldn't afford better.

If they served spaghetti carbonara would you complain that you can make your own cheap spaghetti with Prego dumped on it at home? Or that risotto is nothing more than the rice you make at home with cream of mushroom soup in a can?

Whether cheese tortellini is "cheap food" or not depends on the cheese, the pasta, the sauce, whatever else it might be dressed with, as well as the quality of the preparation. Is the filling done well without having the cheese get grainy or lumpy?

Lobster was at one point considered trash food, fit only for the servants and those who couldn't afford better.

I can't eat pasta so I would not order it. I can guarantee the pasta is not homemade by a master pasta maker. This is my opinion and no matter how many folks try to beat me up for it, it will not change my mind. I believe I have a right to my opinion. It's fine to be impressed by cheap food. All the better for the cruise line.

Edited by cruz chic

See zerbot's response above - I think addressed your post very well ... not that I think your post deserves a serious response ...

In the days of the early settlers to the coastal areas of New Brunswick, lobsters were scattered to fertilise the fields. It is said that you could tell the rich kids from the poor kids at school because the rich kids brought bologna sandwiches while the poor kids had to eat lobster sandwiches.

I can't eat pasta so I would not order it. I can guarantee the pasta is not homemade by a master pasta maker. This is my opinion and no matter how many folks try to beat me up for it, it will not change my mind. I believe I have a right to my opinion. It's fine to be impressed by cheap food. All the better for the cruise line.

It might be just like cheap $5 storebought tortellini. But it might not be (haven't had it, so I can't say, and well, you apparently haven't had it either, so...). But just the fact that it is cheese tortellini doesn't make it automatically cheap food.

It might be just like cheap $5 storebought tortellini. But it might not be (haven't had it, so I can't say, and well, you apparently haven't had it either, so...). But just the fact that it is cheese tortellini doesn't make it automatically cheap food.

... you hit the nail squarely on the head again!!!

So true! Lobster in certain areas of New England and Canada such as PEI were considered "poor man's food"!

I had Tortellini that was incorporated into a Chef's Tasting dish by a trained J&W Chef who worked for a famous Chef. Wow, what a dish!

It would be unrealistic to expect pasta on a Cruise Ship to be homemade by a Master Pasta Chef. However, who cares as long as it taste good!

Food is subjective and everyone has their likes and dislikes!

Here we go again. I know what cruz chic is saying and understand. If a formal night menu was posted on this thread I haven't seen it or how extensive it was, but again it's all about expectations. After years of having the best menus and more expensive dishes on formal nights, just because the cruise line might want to cut back they certainly can expect negative customer feedback if expectations aren't met. Formal nights on HAL for years have meant lobster, King Crab, prime rib, a better steak than usual, jumbo shrimp. (And saying lobster used to be poor man's food is entirely beside the point. It certainly isn't now.) Any pasta dish on the formal menu should be truly special. Or.....better yet, if the menu is going downhill, just forget the whole formal thing.

That is how we feel about it.

It is also about the noise in the MDR. And getting our wine after the entree and before dessert is another turnoff. As much as we enjoy the dining experience, 2 /1/2 hours with lots of wait time in between is a little more than we care to spend. It is not just HAL, the others are doing it as well.

The mass market cruise lines can be great value tourism. Unfortunately, in many instances they have turned, partly attributable to cutbacks across the board, formal nights into something much less than a special evening.

We find that more and more cruisers are responding to this by voting with their feet because they no longer think it is worth the bother. It isn't for us any more.

Edited by iancal

Here we go again. I know what cruz chic is saying and understand. If a formal night menu was posted on this thread I haven't seen it or how extensive it was' date=' but again it's all about expectations. After years of having the best menus and more expensive dishes on formal nights, just because the cruise line might want to cut back they certainly can expect negative customer feedback if expectations aren't met. Formal nights on HAL for years have meant lobster, King Crab, prime rib, a better steak than usual, jumbo shrimp. (And saying lobster used to be poor man's food is entirely beside the point. It certainly isn't now.) Any pasta dish on the formal menu should be truly special. Or.....better yet, if the menu is going downhill, just forget the whole formal thing.[/quote']

That's it. I've sailed on hal since 1984. It's completely changed. It's too bad several posters just don't get the point or don't want to. It's much more fun to take cheap shots at those they don't like. I'm just adding to my ignore list. Like you say, do it right or forget about it.

To see a copy of the formal dinner menu take a look at this courtesy of poster crew news. Scroll thru until you get to the menu that says gala dinner.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/AL-15-Menu-Day-05.pdf

Edited by cruz chic

In the days of the early settlers to the coastal areas of New Brunswick, lobsters were scattered to fertilise the fields. It is said that you could tell the rich kids from the poor kids at school because the rich kids brought bologna sandwiches while the poor kids had to eat lobster sandwiches.

My...how things have changed!

Edited by innlady1

That's it. I've sailed on hal since 1984. It's completely changed. It's too bad several posters just don't get the point or don't want to. It's much more fun to take cheap shots at those they don't like. I'm just adding to my ignore list. Like you say, do it right or forget about it.

To see a copy of the formal dinner menu take a look at this courtesy of poster crew news. Scroll thru until you get to the menu that says gala dinner.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/AL-15-Menu-Day-05.pdf

As you know, we are moving so today I was going through a bin of papers...and came across the Daily Programs from a Noordam cruise in 2008. When one cruises every year on HAL, and the changes happen gradually, we forget the details of the early days.

I found the "Welcome Aboard" folders and the "Thanks for Sailing with us" folders (or whatever the disembarkation one was called), and a formal menu...back in the day they gave them out. WOW is all I can say. What a huge difference less than 10 years later. :(

Having said that, I also found the documents of the cost of the cruise...and the cost is petty much the same as it is today. So, I guess they have to cut somewhere.

It is also about the noise in the MDR. And getting our wine after the entree and before dessert is another turnoff. As much as we enjoy the dining experience, 2 /1/2 hours with lots of wait time in between is a little more than we care to spend. It is not just HAL, the others are doing it as well.

Isn't it nice there are options on the ship where you can get your food and wine and be done on half an hour?

Meals are about much more than the food. Meals are about the experience and spending time with people. Two and half hours with lots of wait time is not unusual for shore-based fine dining restaurants. I have been to some of the best restaurants in the US and have rarely had a meal last less than 2½ hours, with lots of wait time between courses. I don't know anyone who has eaten at those restaurants and complain about how long the meal took, or the wait between courses.

As you know, we are moving so today I was going through a bin of papers...and came across the Daily Programs from a Noordam cruise in 2008. When one cruises every year on HAL, and the changes happen gradually, we forget the details of the early days.

I found the "Welcome Aboard" folders and the "Thanks for Sailing with us" folders (or whatever the disembarkation one was called), and a formal menu...back in the day they gave them out. WOW is all I can say. What a huge difference less than 10 years later. :(

Having said that, I also found the documents of the cost of the cruise...and the cost is petty much the same as it is today. So, I guess they have to cut somewhere.

I think I may have menus from a 1989 cruise. I'm afraid to take a look. I met person after person on the cruise that bragged how little they paid for that cruise. I never brought this up in a course of conversation. Hal has backed themselves in a corner with their pricing strategy. All I ask is that they stop the formal night charade and just have smart casual to match their menu. I would have no problem with the menu on that night.

I hope all the moving goes well. I feel your pain just thinking about it.