cruising NCL

I booked us on our first NCL cruise last week and I am going to try to keep an open mind despite the concerns of many on the changes that have been made. With no prior experiences to compare to I'm hoping we will have a great time. Our main reason for choosing NCL this time was the opporunity to sail out of Tampa on a 7 day cruise. I would actually rather have sailed CCL but a 7 day is no longer available out of Tampa. We don't sail until Jan 10 2016 and can cancel and get our deposit back until sometime in Oct so I'll be interested in reviews especially of the Star. Sail on and be happy.

Congratulations on your booking.

I would argue that most people who complain about cruises are not complaining about being on a cruise per se. Meaning, if they were on a land-based vacation and experienced the same issues, they would be complaining about them too.

And, sure, NCL and other lines have changed their policies, but as long as they make you aware of the policies in place now and for your sailing, then you know beforehand what you're getting into without pre(mis)conceptions or prior experiences with which to compare.

Unless something really extraordinary happens, and you do enjoy cruising, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

We cruised on the Getaway May 2, our 13th cruise but first on NCL. We thought it compared well to Princess and Celebrity overall. Some aspects were not as good but the entertainment was a cut above so I saw relax, enjoy. The crew will treat you well. :)

I have been on the Star quite a few times, not intentionally, it always happens to be on the itineraries that interest us... I like the size of ship; it seems easier to navigate and easier for the customer servers to keep up. It is not glitzy and there are no wrap around water slides, but it gets the job done..for Europe itineraries, you really don't use the ship much aside from a mode of transportation and a place to sleep--as you are touring the ports all day...

All cruise lines have changed over time and none of them are giving more for less, but the key thing that continues to set NCL apart is the freestyle concept--eat where you want, when you want, with who you want; wear formal attire or not; go to shows when you want (other than a few of them on the large ships)

I agree with the rest! Just finished our 17th cruise on NCL and had a great time. We have also cruised on several others, but love FreeStyle cruising the most. NCL has good food and great entertainment. Way back it was fun to dress formal,etc, but now we just want to do what we want to do. I do take some dressy things, but hubby loves not taking a suit:D

I am also booked for Jan 2016 but out of New Orleans. I have read so many negative things about NCL that I have wondered should I go with another cruise line. I realized why I chose NCL in the first place. My husband dresses up for work every day. He wants to wear jeans and shorts. He wore jeans at the captains cocktail party and was still treated very well. He like to eat on vacation not vacation around his eating time. We are frugal people but splurged of the suite for the extra room, perks and service. No other cruise line can offer this at the same cost. Figure out what you want then decide who to pick. None of the changes recently made changes why I pick NCL.

I am also booked for Jan 2016 but out of New Orleans. I have read so many negative things about NCL that I have wondered should I go with another cruise line. I realized why I chose NCL in the first place. My husband dresses up for work every day. He wants to wear jeans and shorts. He wore jeans at the captains cocktail party and was still treated very well. He like to eat on vacation not vacation around his eating time. We are frugal people but splurged of the suite for the extra room, perks and service. No other cruise line can offer this at the same cost. Figure out what you want then decide who to pick. None of the changes recently made changes why I pick NCL.

Well actually the only reason I booked on NCL was because they sailed out of Tampa. Not really a good reason I know but it saves us a LOT of time, trouble and money. The inlaws spend the winter in their condo just 30 minutes or so north of Tampa so we can drive there and leave the car for FREE, spend the night for FREE, and they will drop us off at the port and pick us back up for Free. lol

My favorite part of cruising is eating. Really. I love to eat and I am not a snob about it. I am however cheap and will not pay to eat at any restaurant on a cruise ship when I can eat for free at the mdr or buffet. Hopefully most will be spending their money at the steakhouse and the buffet line will be short. :)

Well actually the only reason I booked on NCL was because they sailed out of Tampa. Not really a good reason I know but it saves us a LOT of time, trouble and money. The inlaws spend the winter in their condo just 30 minutes or so north of Tampa so we can drive there and leave the car for FREE, spend the night for FREE, and they will drop us off at the port and pick us back up for Free. lol

My favorite part of cruising is eating. Really. I love to eat and I am not a snob about it. I am however cheap and will not pay to eat at any restaurant on a cruise ship when I can eat for free at the mdr or buffet. Hopefully most will be spending their money at the steakhouse and the buffet line will be short. :)

We've been on 7 NCL cruises and have NEVER had to wait in a buffet line. We don't usually eat at the speciality restaurants ( we have dined at Cagney's and Lotus Garden) because we like the food in the MDR. We are not foodies, we just enjoy going on cruises, eating food we wouldn't normally have at home, being in different ports, it's just an overall wonderful experience. No cruise is perfect but we've never had an experience that would ruin our entire cruise. I think many CC posters look for things to complain about. Whatever.

Edited by Diver2014