MSC Musica

mib150

Just boarded and currently sat in the pool bar sipping drinks waiting to disembark.

This is our first cruise and the first hour or so is looking great!

Marcus

Just boarded and currently sat in the pool bar sipping drinks waiting to disembark.

This is our first cruise and the first hour or so is looking great!

Marcus

we will be on the Musica on 14th june. Would like to hear your opinions.

from a fellow Yorkie.

Marlene

We found the food to be excellent, our restaurant was L'Oleandro (but I think Le Maxim's serves identical food). We used this every evening and occasionally at lunchtime- this is waiter service and the staff are very efficient, polite and attentive.

L'Oleandro is also open for breakfast, but we never used it for that, so I can't comment.

There is also Gli Archi on deck 13 which offer good views all round, this offers buffet service breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus snacks throughout the day and late night pizzas! The pizzas were really good and we often popped up Late on for a slice :D

The buffet can be a bit manic at peak times, but I suppose this is to be expected.

We had the Allegressimo drinks package (2 adults and 2 children) this was great! There wasn't anything that we thought "oh I wish that was included" as it was pretty comprehensive. Ice creams and milkshakes (really good!) were also included and available from the central pool bar. I would recommend this package.

There were several theme nights (I presume these will be the same on each sailing). These were Italian night, white night, 60's 70's & 80's night plus two 'gala' nights.

Most joined in with the theme, so remember to pack your flares and platforms!

On gala nights most made an effort and dressed up, some with a dinner suit, so this was good.

Overall this was an excellent cruise, and our first - so really impressed with 'cruise life' :D

If you want anymore lowdown, just give me a shout.

Enjoy!

We found the food to be excellent, our restaurant was L'Oleandro (but I think Le Maxim's serves identical food). We used this every evening and occasionally at lunchtime- this is waiter service and the staff are very efficient, polite and attentive.

L'Oleandro is also open for breakfast, but we never used it for that, so I can't comment.

There is also Gli Archi on deck 13 which offer good views all round, this offers buffet service breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus snacks throughout the day and late night pizzas! The pizzas were really good and we often popped up Late on for a slice :D

The buffet can be a bit manic at peak times, but I suppose this is to be expected.

We had the Allegressimo drinks package (2 adults and 2 children) this was great! There wasn't anything that we thought "oh I wish that was included" as it was pretty comprehensive. Ice creams and milkshakes (really good!) were also included and available from the central pool bar. I would recommend this package.

There were several theme nights (I presume these will be the same on each sailing). These were Italian night, white night, 60's 70's & 80's night plus two 'gala' nights.

Most joined in with the theme, so remember to pack your flares and platforms!

On gala nights most made an effort and dressed up, some with a dinner suit, so this was good.

Overall this was an excellent cruise, and our first - so really impressed with 'cruise life' :D

If you want anymore lowdown, just give me a shout.

Enjoy!

Thank You so much for your prompt reply.

We are a couple in our 70's and are meeting some of our Australian Relatives on board. I was a little taken aback when they picked and booked MSC... as we hadn't heard much about them in Britain. We are devoted P&O cruisers.

But from your reports it sounds excellent. We too have chosen the same drinks package as you. Our relations will have a 17 month toddler with them .

They are very brave. They will all be coming to Yorkshire after the cruise so

we will have a very very busy time of it. I can now email them and tell them of your recommendations.

On a different note. Did you receive MSC Luggage labels. All though we have booked in on line there wasn't any Labels to print off.

Thank you again

Marlene

Thank you once again

Thank You so much for your prompt reply.

We are a couple in our 70's and are meeting some of our Australian Relatives on board. I was a little taken aback when they picked and booked MSC... as we hadn't heard much about them in Britain. We are devoted P&O cruisers.

But from your reports it sounds excellent. We too have chosen the same drinks package as you. Our relations will have a 17 month toddler with them .

They are very brave. They will all be coming to Yorkshire after the cruise so

we will have a very very busy time of it. I can now email them and tell them of your recommendations.

On a different note. Did you receive MSC Luggage labels. All though we have booked in on line there wasn't any Labels to print off.

Thank you again

Marlene

Thank you once again

You are more than welcome!

I can't compare with P&O as never cruised before - maybe someone else will chip in?

Yes we did get luggage labels they were with the e-tickets which we printed off. They are just an A4 sheet you fold then loop round your case handle - it will have your cabin number on.

Our e-tickets arrived just over a week from departure, so you should be getting them soon.

One thing I forgot to mention - make sure you go to the 'James Bond' show or 'Best of' show (that will be Saturday night) - there are a couple of really good acts.

If there is anything else I may be able to help with, don't hesitate to ask.

Have fun!

My best friend has cruised with both P&O and MSC. She found some things she preferred on MSC and other were better on P&O.

Biggest difference really, especially on a Med itinerary, is the passenger base. P&O although owned by a US company, sells itself as being British whilst MSC is unapologetically Italian. English speakers tend to be in a minority on MC European cruises, with the majority being Iatlaian and German. I very much doubt this is the case on P&O.

So expect 5 or 6 languages spoken onboard (one of which will be English), entertainment that caters to multiple languages, Italian food and later dining times.

My best friend has cruised with both P&O and MSC. She found some things she preferred on MSC and other were better on P&O.

Biggest difference really, especially on a Med itinerary, is the passenger base. P&O although owned by a US company, sells itself as being British whilst MSC is unapologetically Italian. English speakers tend to be in a minority on MC European cruises, with the majority being Iatlaian and German. I very much doubt this is the case on P&O.

So expect 5 or 6 languages spoken onboard (one of which will be English), entertainment that caters to multiple languages, Italian food and later dining times.

You are correct - many nationalities!

It takes an age for the MC to announce the evening show in at least 5 languages- clever lady though!

1st sitting was 18.30 and 2nd was 21.00 (I think).

Thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed the cruise.

We have booked Musica in January for a Middle East cruise, although we've cruised before this will be our first time on MSC. I see there are 2 speciality restaurants but can't find any menus or prices. Do you know anything about them? We have quite a bit of onboard credit so thought we might give them a try.

Julie

Thanks for your comments, glad you enjoyed the cruise.

We have booked Musica in January for a Middle East cruise, although we've cruised before this will be our first time on MSC. I see there are 2 speciality restaurants but can't find any menus or prices. Do you know anything about them? We have quite a bit of onboard credit so thought we might give them a try.

Julie

Check this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2213059

I posted some prices whilst on board last week - this was the Sushi restaurant.

Il Giardino is the other restaurant I think (from other posts/threads) is an a-la-carte. This wasn't open as such on our cruise and was just used as extra seating for the buffet restaurant.

Maybe different on other routes?

Check this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2213059

I posted some prices whilst on board last week - this was the Sushi restaurant.

Il Giardino is the other restaurant I think (from other posts/threads) is an a-la-carte. This wasn't open as such on our cruise and was just used as extra seating for the buffet restaurant.

Maybe different on other routes?

Thank you.

I've eaten 3 times in Il Giardino on the Musica (perk of Black Card is a free visit!). It was €25 for 3 courses per person. I love it, fantastic food and presentation, good service and an oasis of peace and tranquility compared to the MDR. My only criticisms would be that is the same menu for the entire cruise, otherwise I'd go more frequently and it can lack a bit of atmosphere if there is barely anyone else dining. Sometimes they have the option of dining outside. I was a tad reluctant as I thought it would be too windy but it wasn't.

How is the food variety? Do they have the same food in the buffet every day?

Hi there, we didn't use the buffet everyday, but when we did the selection was different.

Obviously there are some foods which remain available each day, but the 'main' hot food selection changes.

Thanks Marcus!

A few more if you don't mind ...

1) How was food and coffee (specifically on the Musica)?

2) There are complaints on some reviews about lunch and dinner times being long, how would you rate them?

3) My wife is worried about the pillows (given that we've been to Europe a few times) - did they give you many in the room and were they flat or not?

Thanks Marcus!

A few more if you don't mind ...

1) How was food and coffee (specifically on the Musica)?

2) There are complaints on some reviews about lunch and dinner times being long, how would you rate them?

3) My wife is worried about the pillows (given that we've been to Europe a few times) - did they give you many in the room and were they flat or not?

1 - This is a very individual thing, personally we found the food to be excellent throughout. Coffee was excellent too (it is an Italian cruise line afterall :D)

2 - Not sure what you mean? Wait between courses? We found our waiter to be attentive and would clear as you finished, the next course would then arrive shortly afterwards. We were never sat around for ages without food in front of us.

3 - Stock issue is one pillow, however we asked for extra and they were there when we went to bed - i'm sure your wife will be fine.

Hope this helps?

It does help, thank you. The CC review section lists the Musica at only 42% positive and out is freaking me out a bit, but the itinerary is not to be missed.

This was our first cruise, so have nothing to compare against, but 42% seems a little harsh.

I'm sure there are more opulent cruise lines out there, but I would have no hesitation in booking another MSC cruise based on our experience.

If you look through the boards where more 'seasoned' cruises have posted, you will see in their signatures that they have sailed with MSC many times, so they must be doing something right.

MIB

Hi Again MIB 150

Can you tell me what sort of electrical plug sockets are in Cabins. I have a number of adapters .Don't want to pack them all if not needed

Than You

marlene

Hi there,

There are 4 sockets - 2 euro and 2 US.

However we found we could only one of each at a time - there were all in a line and we couldn't get two of the same adapters in at the same time!

Might be an idea to take a short 4-gang extension lead of you have lots of appliances.

Be sure not to overload though.

Thank You once again for your prompt reply. We have had that trouble before with the positioning of the sockets . I will just take Euro Adapters should be fine. I will be able to charge stuff up during the night.

Thanks again

Marlene

Be aware you will only be able to use one euro adapter at a time.

How is the food variety? Do they have the same food in the buffet every day?

Don't often eat there but my favourite is the ethnic corner and that has a different theme everyday. The rest changes too but nit so much. Breakfast is the same everyday more or less