Santorini Excursion Dilemma

Gourmet Gal

We will be in Santorini arriving on Silver Spirit in Sept. We've decided not to rent a car after much debate. We are hoping to go to both Akritiri and Oia yet SS offers excursions to one or the other, not both on the same excursion. We have a full day in port, departing at 10:00PM so we are thinking of taking the ships' excursion to Akritiri and upon return to Fira then taking a taxi to Oia. Does this sound reasonable?

I've checked on some private tours and for once the ship's tour plus the extra taxi is more economical. On the other hand private is simpler!

We have done both - not on the same day though :)

Oia and Akritiri are on opposite ends of the island with Fira in the middle.

Not sure how many people are involved…..but with a ship tour the cost is per person…… with a taxi it is per carload……

Why couldn't you hail a taxi on the road (theres only one main road in Fira) after taking the cable car up. Head to Akriitiri and tour it early. The taxi driver will wait for you (make sure he isn't paid in advance or when you get out of the taxi !) since there are no taxis waiting here. Allow about an hour or a bit more for the site. It is large but all under a cover with wooden walkways so an easy morning) then head to Oia - again making sure the taxi either waits for you or comes back and picks you up at a certain time. There is a large parking area where they let you off and that is the pick up location. Depending on how long you are in port (looks like you have a full day) and how much time you spend in Oia, you could even go back to Fira and check out the archeological museum where all the items from Akritiri are. It is fairly small but full of neat stuff. Check the closing time for your port day tho, it closed at 3 last time we were there and we missed it. You may even want to see it BEFORE Oia…..

Anyway, my point is, once you negotiate with a taxi he is at your disposal and there will be no crowds to deal with (ship tour) or time spent looking for a taxi after the tour and in Oia (this can be a challenge).

BTW: We paid 50 euros to go to Akriiri (one trip) and 50 euros to go to Oia (another trip) This was per Taxi not per person…… just may work out cheaper for you AND be easier…… hope this helps.

That's good advice. Thanks! Was 50e the round trip fare?

Yes. On the trip to Akritiri, he drove us there, waited in the parking lot, then took us back to Fira and dropped us off right below the museum.

For both our trip to Oia (we have been to Santorini 3 times) we were dropped off at the parking lot area I mentioned earlier. We asked to be picked up 2 hrs later at the same location. The driver did not sit and wait for us, rather took some more fares. But just as promised was back at the meeting place at the time we had arranged.

Seems to work out cheaper since this is for the whole taxi - not per person. And you can arrange to fit how long you want to be at either location.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. On the trip to Akritiri, he drove us there, waited in the parking lot, then took us back to Fira and dropped us off right below the museum.

For both our trip to Oia (we have been to Santorini 3 times) we were dropped off at the parking lot area I mentioned earlier. We asked to be picked up 2 hrs later at the same location. The driver did not sit and wait for us, rather took some more fares. But just as promised was back at the meeting place at the time we had arranged.

Seems to work out cheaper since this is for the whole taxi - not per person. And you can arrange to fit how long you want to be at either location.

Hi

How many ships were in when you did your cab? May be a dumb question but there are four ships and over 7000 passengers there when we visit.... want to visit the excavation and the ship tour is $ 80pp which seems kinda high for this one.

Hi

How many ships were in when you did your cab? May be a dumb question but there are four ships and over 7000 passengers there when we visit.... want to visit the excavation and the ship tour is $ 80pp which seems kinda high for this one.

We usually travel off season…… even so that doesn't mean the same amount of ships are making their rounds of the same ports…… but, we have been pretty fortunate on all 3 visits to Santorini…… I don't think we have ever had 4 ships with us. I think I remember 3 of us at one time there. Not all the ships come and leave at the same time so that does help some. You need to look at the arrival and departure times to really get a good idea of what it will be like.

I will say that 2 of the visits were the incredibly stupid time frame of 2pm - 10 pm. Whoever thought of that needs their head examined. This is one place where you really need more time….. tendering and getting up/down the cliff face takes such a large chunk……..

The time we went to Akritiri I think we had 7am - 6pm (or close to that)

There are plenty of taxis….. they constantly cruise the main street (you can't miss it) I agree, $ 80.00 per person is too high…..but ships tours are ALWAYS overpriced !

On the day we are in port there will be 6 ships! But not all are large. I will drill down and look at arrival tmes to see what I am facing. We decided to go with a private guide who can also guide us through Akrotiri. He is a professional photographer as well and will take us to some great vantage points. We will ask that our final stop be Oia and we'll have a late lunch and then taxi back to Fira.

On the day we are in port there will be 6 ships! But not all are large. I will drill down and look at arrival tmes to see what I am facing. We decided to go with a private guide who can also guide us through Akrotiri. He is a professional photographer as well and will take us to some great vantage points. We will ask that our final stop be Oia and we'll have a late lunch and then taxi back to Fira.

I think you have a great plan ! Enjoy - it is a beautiful place !

Is your tour guide Kostas? If so, he is amazing! We used him last October.

Who knew the most famous view of Santorini is from a gravel parking lot?!

e07ba124e40d0ceb7a39cebb5776bcab.jpg

You'll have a great time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your tour guide Kostas? If so, he is amazing! We used him last October.

Who knew the most famous view of Santorini is from a gravel parking lot?!

e07ba124e40d0ceb7a39cebb5776bcab.jpg

You'll have a great time!!

We will be using Kostas! Thanks for your post. Now I can hardly wait!

If you Google Kostas Santorini tour guide you will find him. You can also get his contact info through Trip Advisor.

He's great! Hands down my favorite tour of our Med cruise!

5ffeddc625124997589eb5ff39a23985.jpg