Discounts (besides AARP) for NCL cruises?

fstuff1

Heard you get a 10% discount if you're a AARP member.

i plan to book a balcony on Breakaway for July 5th cruise using my Caesar's 20% Diamond discount.

i have a couple of other friends coming along. they plan to book an inside.

they're not gamblers. One of them is ~60 but she's not a member of AARP.

what groups does NCL give discounts to?

Edited by fstuff1

I would suggest your friend become a member of AARP. Literally 90 seconds to join, my chapter was $15, and it saved us hundreds on our cruise fare.

With regards to other discounts, I would be interested in hearing about those as well!

There are military discounts, Latitudes (repeat cruiseres), and some discounts for some states.

It's easy enough to see the discounts if you do a mock booking on the NCL website. Just check the boxes. But also check the promotions and do the math. You don't get the current promotions other than $25 OBC if you book an inside. If you think you will use the promotions (They are not as good as last month though), you may save by getting an ocean view rather than an inside.

We have sometimes found deals with travel agents. Often the price is the same but they offer additional perks or OBC. You could check those out. Lately, though, we have simply booked with NCL. They often have sales that are not even available with travel agents. In fact, for our next cruise, the sale price with the good choice of perks was about $200 cheaper than any price we saw with any of our possible travel agents or services and was cheaper than the published AARP discount.

Also, just keep watchinng the website or book when the price is reasonable and continue to watch the website, especially right before you sail. You can always cancel and rebook if you see a better deal before you final payment (although you may be past that date) or you can upgrade your cabins sometimes after final payment if the prices drop. We did that last year on the Epic. We upgraded from an inside to a balcony for a net of $75 and we had thought we had a pretty good deal on the inside when we first booked.

You friend could also join AARP. It's really inexpensive and we have gotten lots of other discounts in other places (including our home/auto insurance, hotels, restaurants, Walgreens) as well as the discounts on cruises that make it totally worthwhile. She could get a pretty good discount on the hotel rate for the night before the cruise.....just saying.....

Edited by drvalo

Heard you get a 10% discount if you're a AARP member.

i plan to book a balcony on Breakaway for July 5th cruise using my Caesar's 20% Diamond discount.

i have a couple of other friends coming along. they plan to book an inside.

they're not gamblers. One of them is ~60 but she's not a member of AARP.

what groups does NCL give discounts to?

Don't know what other discounts are available, but two things about AARP discount:

1. You don't have to be over a certain age to join AARP. I am in my 40s and joined (I thinkg is an "associate membership") so that I could get the NCL discount. As someone else pointed out, it is approximately $15/year and well worth the price for the savings that you get.

2. AARP discount is 5%, not 10%, and is only guaranteed to be available if you book more than 9 months out. If yo book closer to the sail date, they may make the discount available, but don't count on it.

There are military discounts and some discounts for some states.

It's easy enough to see the discounts if you do a mock booking on the NCL website. Just check the boxes. But also check the promotions and do the math. You don't get the current promotions other than $25 OBC if you book an inside. If you think you will use the promotions (They are not as good as last month though), you may save by getting an ocean view rather than an inside.

Are you sure that the current promotion cannot be combined with the AARP discount? When I booked last month, I was able to combine. Not sure if I could have combined when booking online (I think the system limits the number of promo codes you can enter at once), but my TA was able to combine them for me.