Formal nights on Zandaam?

Carraway

How formal should I expect these formal nights to be? We're traveling across the US by train before taking out cruise and are planning to pack as lightly as we can (one train, the first, has no checked baggage option--only 2 carry-ons each). Would a sports jacket for my husband work? This is our first cruise, so it's really uncharted territory.

We've done Alaska twice on HAL (once on the Zamdaam). The sports jacket will be fine. Or you can just eat in the buffet in your excursion clothes. In general, many of us don't have room for our more formal attire and no one seems to mind.

But he will probably need a tie and jacket for the MDR on formal nights.

Edited by tangerinebunny

This is our first HAL cruise (also the Zaandam to Alaska). Can I clarify this dining situation. When we booked the cruise, the HAL rep mentioned a table for 8 and a late seating time. Does that mean we have a "reservation" at a table with the same 8 people every night in the MDR? For non-formal nights, is the dress code jeans/polo shirts or something better than jeans (slacks/ sport shirts)? And then on the 2 formal nights, it is expected to dress up (suit/sports coat, and cocktail dress or fancier for my DW)? Does this only apply to the MDR? If we don't pack formal attire, we can eat at any time in any attire in any of the other restaurants/bars? Thanks for clarifying this for us.

This is our first HAL cruise (also the Zaandam to Alaska). Can I clarify this dining situation. When we booked the cruise, the HAL rep mentioned a table for 8 and a late seating time. Does that mean we have a "reservation" at a table with the same 8 people every night in the MDR? For non-formal nights, is the dress code jeans/polo shirts or something better than jeans (slacks/ sport shirts)? And then on the 2 formal nights, it is expected to dress up (suit/sports coat, and cocktail dress or fancier for my DW)? Does this only apply to the MDR? If we don't pack formal attire, we can eat at any time in any attire in any of the other restaurants/bars? Thanks for clarifying this for us.

Go to the cruise critic message board main page under cruise lines look for holland America. Ask on here as each cruiseline is a little different. I know on celebrity their specialty restaurants are smart casual every night. And, you can dress very casual and eat at buffet for dinner.

Just be aware, if you do ask this over on the HAL board, you will get lots of responses (some flaming) if you want to wear anything other than a tux or evening gown. Many of the 'regulars' there tend to be very old school, trying to convince everyone it is mandatory to go above and beyond and you will impact the quality of their cruise if you do anything less. :)

A search of the forum might be best, as that will avoid the flames and you can find posts from folks that have recently traveled sharing their observations about what is actually allowed and prevalent in the MDR on formal nights (hint, it is a much lower standard, especially on Alaska itineraries). And yes, as stated above, it was recently confirmed by HAL that goods jeans are OK on non formal nights.

Enjoy the cruise!

Edited by brentp

The Pinnacle Grill will follow the MDR dress code. The buffet doesn't.

Your dinner reservation really means that you have space reserved at a large table at that seating. Six other diners may or may not show up. If the group enjoys being together they will probably return (at least some nights). If you don't enjoy the gathering, you can ask to be switched to another table.

The bars will be happy to see you and not care about your attire.

The previous poster was right about the HAL forum. There are a few vocal grumps, but they are easily ignored. Those who sail aboard HAL are far more pleasant than the grumpy posters. Don't let them put you off from the forum or from sailing.

Enjoy Alaska. It's the best!

Just be aware, if you do ask this over on the HAL board, you will get lots of responses (some flaming) if you want to wear anything other than a tux or evening gown. Many of the 'regulars' there tend to be very old school, trying to convince everyone it is mandatory to go above and beyond and you will impact the quality of their cruise if you do anything less. :)!

As a multiple HAL cruiser, I must say that this is simply not true. I wouldn't dream of taking a cruise where a tux or even a dark suit is required. For formal nights I wear a blazer, trousers, white shirt and tie. Non-formal nights I wear a golf or collared shirt and a pair of dockers. In all my HAL cruises I have never felt out of place dressed this way.